Ok, I really want to know what one is. Is there one on every amp? I've heard that putting effects in the effects loop will make the effect sound better? Is there like a certain jack in amps with an effects loops called effects loop? and finally How do you even hook effects up to the effects loop. Sorry if its really nooby but for the past week I have been looking on google and I'm so confused so if someone could really explain it to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_loop
basically on guitar amps it's a line in and out that you can use to put certain effects that sound better (opinion) between the pre amp and power amp instead of putting it in your instrument line. In general, stuff like wah, OD/distortion go in front of the amp, while stuff like chorus and delay go in the effects loop.

so regular amps

guitar--------fx-------amp

amp w/ effects loop

guitar-------amp -effects loop out->->->FXv
-effects loop return<-<-< l

EDIT: that diagram didn't work
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jul 1, 2008,
arrr. That still makes no since. Is it just so easy annd I'm just stupid and I don't see it or what?
it can be tough to grasp if you don't get the point of it.

basically, a guitar tone starts from the guitar, goes to the amp, and comes out of the speakers.

That's what most people think.

However, inside the amp, there are two amps, a pre-amp and a power amp.

Pre amp shapes the tone of the guitar, usually with some kind of EQ.

Power amp just boosts the signal to give it volume.

In between the pre and the power amp, after the tone is shaped and before it is boosted, it can be very useful to add modulation, like chorus, flanger, whatever, to the sound. This is called an effects loop.
Quote by Sadbutrue62
arrr. That still makes no since. Is it just so easy annd I'm just stupid and I don't see it or what?

A guitar amplifier is made up of two parts: a preamp which shapes the tone (EQ, distortion) and a power amp which actually makes the signal louder.

An effects loop goes in between the preamp and power amp so you can add things like delays and reverbs that generally work best with tone that has been shaped already, it's basically so you can have the delay doing its stuff with your distorted tone rather than distorting you delays which generally doesn't sound as good.

Edit: Dammit, late.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

thats the simplest thing i could find
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jul 1, 2008,
hey i was confused about that too, so basically does that mean any effects put into the fx loop dont change the tone of the guitar becuase it comes after the pre amp?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
hey i was confused about that too, so basically does that mean any effects put into the fx loop dont change the tone of the guitar becuase it comes after the pre amp?

Well obviously that depends on what you put in there, things like delays and things won't change it that much but if you put something like a Graphic EQ in then obviously the tone will change. Generally people put delays and other time-based effects in the loop because the tone should be all but complete by the time it leaves the preamp.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.