I recently bought my first acoustic, and I can't figure how to change the strings on this type, which has the small balls right behind the bridge, so how do I go about removing these to change the strings?
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Unwind all the strings at the headstock, until they've come off. Then you should be able to reach your hand inside the body of your acoustic, and push the pins out.

Warning: depending on your acoustics, those pins just behind the bridge could be very feckin' sharp. If they are, you need to get some special tool to remove them, I think. I just use pliers myself.

Hope that helped somewhat.
my string winder has a nice little groove in it that works perfectly for popping those pins out. also try- pliers, bottle opener, screwdriver, or any assorted objects that could be used to pop them out.
Again?!?! Man, this question has been asked and answered so many times I can't keep count. Use the search. And to jarry and ealtdharkon, NO TOOLS NEEDED! Unless of course you could care less about your instrument, then use whatever you feel like. Grind them off with a Dewalt angle grinder if you want. Just don't be telling people in here to use pliers and all that crap on their guitars. It's wrong and unnecessary.
Quote by LeftyDave
Again?!?! Man, this question has been asked and answered so many times I can't keep count. Use the search. And to jarry and ealtdharkon, NO TOOLS NEEDED! Unless of course you could care less about your instrument, then use whatever you feel like. Grind them off with a Dewalt angle grinder if you want. Just don't be telling people in here to use pliers and all that crap on their guitars. It's wrong and unnecessary.

thats just what I was told to use the first time I changed my strings. my guitar had cheap plastic pins and I wasnt too worried about damaging them, which I never did even after around 10 string changes. once the strings are loose, they just need a little pressure from the bottom of the pin to pop it out anyway. i have the proper tool for getting them out now anyway.
Unwind the string at the top and pop them out of the tuning machines.

At the bridge, push the strings into the guitar and pull out the bridge pins.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by ealtdharkon
Unwind all the strings at the headstock, until they've come off.

i've heard that it's bad to do so because it releases too much tension and the neck can bend....
Quote by shampooboy37
i've heard that it's bad to do so because it releases too much tension and the neck can bend....

Myth. Too much tension would be a problem. No tension is not a problem unless the neck is free from string tension for years.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by shampooboy37

So do you have a better idea when it comes time to change strings? Cuz I'd sure like to know how you'd do it without taking them off, which means you have to release all of the tension on all of the strings. Or maybe you just never change your strings?
i don't usually change strings until there's a break anyway
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)