Alright ive done rhythm guitar for 5 years ( no joke ) and pretty much all I ever knew was Chords tabs.

So I am trying to really get into music and I bought this book, called Guitar Method book 1 by hal leonard.

Basically in the begining it gives you all the terms, and how the bolded notes are quarter notes the ones with the middle missing are half notes and the donut ones ( im still a newb at this lol ) are whole notes ( 1 beat per 4 ) yes you guys already know this lol.

Anyways, then it goes through ( or where I am at ) and each day you do like E F and G so on high e, open 1st and 3rd frets. then the next day the B string.

So I was wondering, is this a good book to learn by? also are there notes ( like on sheet music with staves and such ) that go beyond the open and first 3 frets? thats a freaking lot to know.. dont they run out of space ona staff? theres only so many lines..

eh I can play the spanish theme in "real music" now lol.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
usually they have the notes on the staff and you have to know what octaves theyre played in. so lets say they want you to play high d on the e string, theyre not gonna have a million little lines on the staff, but have it as the d on the 2nd to top line. and youre gonna have to learn to play in different "positions". look up the note names of the frets in the different positions. what youre learning is the first position on the guitar neck, but higher than that, they have the 2nd position which uses the same notation but just at a higher pitch.

there is a lesson on cyberfret.com (or .org not sure) that has all the notes and theyre different positions. it helped me out back then.
Yes, it goes higher than 3 frets. If I'm not mistaken, it goes for as many frets as you have.
But sheet music is f*cking hard for guitar, so I wouldn't really know.

Quote by One on Sunday
usually they have the notes on the staff and you have to know what octaves theyre played in. so lets say they want you to play high d on the e string, theyre not gonna have a million little lines on the staff, but have it as the d on the 2nd to top line. and youre gonna have to learn to play in different "positions". look up the note names of the frets in the different positions. what youre learning is the first position on the guitar neck, but higher than that, they have the 2nd position which uses the same notation but just at a higher pitch.

This. He's right. Listen to him.
Yes they do go past the third fret.. On a guitar fret one is a half step from fret two and a whole step (two half steps) from fret three, half and whole steps are terms you will become very familiar with.

Now if you know your alphabet.. (well in music anyways) A B C D E F G on the fret board there is ALWAYS a half step between EF and BC If you can remember that and know what string you are on (E A D G B e) Then you can figure out all the notes.

So like on the low e (string 6) E is open and 1 fret (Half step) away from open is the first fret F and then two frets (Whole step) to G then a whole step to A again to B and a half step (1 Fret) to C, im sure you can figure it out from there. Follow that to the 12th fret wich is an octave (8 tones away and the exact same note) from your open E And it starts over from there.

Also any book that teaches you to read music properly (hal leonerd books) are good you might want to find good books on scales though because they really help you pin down the notes on the neck.
is sheet music necessary? I can see how theory would be good, but I dont see myself using sheet music anyways, I just thought it would be good for me. But.. uh.. <_<

Wait so what should I learn if I know what I know ( Chords, tabs, rhythm guitar )?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Last edited by MxPxPanic at Jul 1, 2008,
I have the same book. It is very good and it gets you started by teaching you Positions 1 and 2.
So if some one already knows Chords and Tabs pretty well ( 5 years? ) what else would you tell them to learn. I plan on getting some DVD's or what ever.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Quote by MxPxPanic
Alright ive done rhythm guitar for 5 years ( no joke ) and pretty much all I ever knew was Chords tabs.

So I am trying to really get into music and I bought this book, called Guitar Method book 1 by hal leonard.

Basically in the begining it gives you all the terms, and how the bolded notes are quarter notes the ones with the middle missing are half notes and the donut ones ( im still a newb at this lol ) are whole notes ( 1 beat per 4 ) yes you guys already know this lol.

Anyways, then it goes through ( or where I am at ) and each day you do like E F and G so on high e, open 1st and 3rd frets. then the next day the B string.

So I was wondering, is this a good book to learn by? also are there notes ( like on sheet music with staves and such ) that go beyond the open and first 3 frets? thats a freaking lot to know.. dont they run out of space ona staff? theres only so many lines..

eh I can play the spanish theme in "real music" now lol.

Well much music for guitar (especially sheet music) can usually be played mostly on the first five frets of each string, every now and the you may extend the range on the higher strings...
Sight reading can be good if you ever plan on performing with an orchestra or church or something. I could come in handy if you want to learn how to play the piano too. I don't think its necessary by any means.

What I recommend is learning how chords are constructed. That's really all there is to chords. Just chords and progressions. Try not to get hung up on memorizing chord shapes because there's just too damn many of them. I had to take lessons to get an understanding of chord construction.
I do play for my church ( youth group ) and I dont use sheet music at all. Just chords and sometimes tabs. But if they are in sheet music I just have the lead guitarist tab them for me.

I stopped lessons when I found out I was just going to be doing a bunch of music on a staff. Maybe I should of learned it, but its not what interested me, Rhythm guitar and Lead guitar ( not sheet music ) interested me.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
To be honest, I'd advise you to read tab, and not bother with sheet music. Bloody hard to learn! Tab is faster and easier.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
you don't need to worry about sight reading but learn how to make chords. Its not complicated and anyone with some knowledge can show you
Free time, can you possibly point me in the direction of a UG tutorial or a book available at my local music store?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
Also, so lets say I wanted to join a band like a rock band or just an acoustic side band or something.

What would I need to know alltogether?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C
I have a book that sounds pretty similar. I just skipped all the standard notation stuff early on, and I've had no trouble learning anything else in the book.
Why don't you just start learning the bits after the sight reading?
what kind of chords do you know and can play effortly? open,barre,dominant,minor,major?
Learn the major scale, and pentatonics
Quote by MxPxPanic
Also, so lets say I wanted to join a band like a rock band or just an acoustic side band or something.

What would I need to know alltogether?

you need to know the music they're going to play
Quote by Free Time
you need to know the music they're going to play

Don't be a dick. The dude wants help so you should help him, not mock him.
Anywho, you should know the basics at least, like playing in key. I think that's really all you need to know to begin with. Learn your chords, and your scales.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Yea, I know minor/major open and barre chords ( dominant i dont think? )

I was trying to work on scales but I got to.. pentatonic some were, ill have a look back at those tutorials..
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Takamine EG333C