yeah, i was was playing along with ride the lightning (album) today and some of the open E chugging stuff was just too fast to keep up with..... i was playing pickless as ive heard cliff (r.i.p.) didnt use a pick... could anyone explain how he played this fast without a pick?
i think he used two fingers while picking? so practice getting speed while doing that?
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
Well if you're only using two fingers try 3 for some part of the riff. i use three for battery when its the fast open e gallop. I think I've seen cliff sometimes use 4 fingers but usually during his solos. hoped this helped you in some way
Quote by zeppelin423
Well if you're only using two fingers try 3 for some part of the riff. i use three for battery when its the fast open e gallop. I think I've seen cliff sometimes use 4 fingers but usually during his solos. hoped this helped you in some way

Yea, he'd use 4 occasionally for solos but as far as I know he was a strict two finger player......Get a metronome and do straight 8ths on the open E and slowly increase the tempo....I too am having a little trouble with this album.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you try 3 fingers make sure you don't accent with the same finger each time unless you play like 3212 because then it will just sound like triplets. The get the speed get sit down with a metronome and work it up to speed starting slower than you usually play it.
I read he practises up to 5hours a day even after got famous. If you havent been practising that much, it might just be the reason.
You don't need to practice five hours a day to play RTL. The fretting isn't confusing and there aren't any big stretches; the only thing is if you haven't actively tried to speed up your picking before it seems fast.
Practice. Find a slower song on that album like for whom the bell tolls that you can probably already play because its slow. Then build the pace up, the chromatic riff after the "Solo" at the start is a good riff to try with this.

Make sure you are using 2 fingers (normally index and middle) and not just one as this gets you nowhere.
learn the fingering and play it to a slower tempo till u build up speed
I drive a big chevy truck

Jackson DKMGT
Epiphone SG
VOX-AD30VT
Peavey BXP bass
Yamaha 12 string acoustic
Behringer BX1800 Bass amp
KORG toneworks pandora's box PX4D
BOSS overdrive/distortion
I'm not a big Metallica fan, but I wanted to play faster on some Flea riffs. What helped me was Led Zeppelin's "ramble on". Practice that fast riff over and over. Also turn up the gain so you don't have to pluck the hell out of your strings, a very soft touch is needed. Let the electronics do the work.
I can guarentee that if you keep plucking away, you will eventually get fast enough. Over the past year of about 1-2 hours a day, I can play twice as fast as before (I've been playing for 3 years, but did very little practice for the first one). You might not notice it to begin with, but every time you play your fingers will get faster. If anything, starting to use a pick will just give you more trouble as you attempt to speed up with that (although if you prefer the sound, go for it).
im not a bass player, but he really doesn't use a pick?
after listening to anesthesia pulling teeth, thats amazing.
If you want to learn to play fast and not follow what Cliff did, look up Steve DiGiorgio's technique
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
AFAIK Burton uses pick on some songs in Ride the Lightning.

I think Fight Fire with Fire's one of them.
So an irishman walks out of a bar.
Quote by Lobsterdeth
AFAIK Burton uses pick on some songs in Ride the Lightning.

I think Fight Fire with Fire's one of them.

Pretty sure he never used a pick......

Steve DiGiorgio is a pretty beastly bassist....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As has been said, practice. But don't feel like you have to play fingerstyle just because Cliff Burton did.

this.

I play Roundabout with my finger for the comfort factor. It's just easier for me.

Tonally, I sound completely different from Chris Squire. Does that make it worse than the original? No, that just means I'm not Chris Squire and do not plan on being him anytime soon.

Never fall into the 'you need to sound like this guy' trap. All you'll do is loosen your tone knobs and end up sounding like everyone else.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
As for Cliff's technique, I believe that he rarely anchored his right thumb to the pickup. I know Steve Harris also does this, so maybe they do it for the increased speed or comfort?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IcsaBKoK9-o (as seen at 1:25)

But when crossing strings I'm sure he anchors his thumb on the lower string.
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Bullet-Rule
As for Cliff's technique, I believe that he rarely anchored his right thumb to the pickup. I know Steve Harris also does this, so maybe they do it for the increased speed or comfort?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IcsaBKoK9-o (as seen at 1:25)

But when crossing strings I'm sure he anchors his thumb on the lower string.

As far as anchoring I'm pretty sure he used the E and A only. I can get decently fast for playing a year and anchoring on the pickup slows me down. (Probably because it's out of my usual habits)
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I go up on the higher strings I always subconsciously anchor my finger on the E string. It just came naturally I guess.

Something I did to build finger strength was to buy a stress ball thingy, and I would just squeeze that for 30 minutes when I went to bed. I noticed a big difference after like, a week or so.