I have this chord progression, but it just doesn't seem right. The song is at about 60 time-wise, and is an acoustic song. These are all barre chords I goes like this:

Dm C#m Dm Am
It sounds quite melancholy. What don't you like about it? Do you have a question or something you want help with?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jul 1, 2008,
Ya, I'd like something that sounds depressing. The chorus part is C and G chords, so it should kind of fit in with that
add secondary dominants, so for example before the am chord have a quick emaj7 or emin7 chord, should 'spice' it up a little
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
It seems like you are in the key of C. That C#m is out of key, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The chords in C are C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
Try playing some of those in different orders until you find what you're looking for, or read and learn about chord progressions.

The pregression you posted might also be in D minor. The chords in D minor are Dm Edim F Gm Am Bb C. Try those out.
The C#m is still out of key, but if you use C#dim7 (also out of key) instead it will lead very well to the Dm. Also it is very common to use A instead of Am in the key of Dm, as A leads better to Dm than Am. Try using A or A7 instead of Am. See how being out of key isn't necessarily a bad thing?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
It seems like you are in the key of C. That C#m is out of key, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The chords in C are C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
Try playing some of those in different orders until you find what you're looking for, or read and learn about chord progressions.

The pregression you posted might also be in D minor. The chords in D minor are Dm Edim F Gm Am Bb C. Try those out.
The C#m is still out of key, but if you use C#dim7 (also out of key) instead it will lead very well to the Dm. Also it is very common to use A instead of Am in the key of Dm, as A leads better to Dm than Am. Try using A or A7 instead of Am. See how being out of key isn't necessarily a bad thing?

A is also teh dominant and should be major when writing in teh minor (harmony FTW), C is the VII adn should be a diminished chord as said above, try and use it sparingly as a auxillary chord if you don't want to give teh illusion of being in some form of mode or different key

EDIT: just trying to advise you here, its all optional, good lord i cannot type today 3! misspelt 'the' , feck i'm going to bed it's late
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest