I searched quite a bit but couldn't find exactly what I was trying to ask.

I injured my left hand several years ago and now have limited mobility in that hand, I recently started playing guitar but I've found it difficult to hold a pick. When i try to strum quickly sometimes it comes loose and slips out. So i decided to try playing with a thumb-pick which i noticed while shopping around.

So far it seems better. Obviously it stays put, and I can strum a lot stronger and more confidently.

What I wanted to know was if there were any drawbacks to playing with a thumb-pick which might warrant me toughing it out and trying to learn to play with a regular pick.
So you're left handed?

Idk id it's bad, I do it occasionally, and that's how Johnny Winter plays.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Using a pick takes a while to master. You have to figure out how to hold it and then how do hold it so its best for you. It took me a month or more to get comfortable at all.
If it feels good to you, then it should be fine. Search John Denner on youtube, he doesnt hold the pick between his finger and thumb...hell he doesnt hold the pick at all!

so ya, if it sounds good then do it. you dont always have to do it like everyone else
thumbpicking is completely fine. Just in case you want it to fit better though, try putting it in hot water and then molding it to your thumb so it will be tighter and stiffer. Just something I discovered the other day. you can also shave the tip of thumbpicks to make them sharper or broader depending on which type tip you want.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Get picks with really good grips. I would recommend Snarling Dog brain picks. The wide part of the pick is covered in bumps, so it stays in your hand very well.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by Tubyboulin
If it feels good to you, then it should be fine. Search John Denner on youtube, he doesnt hold the pick between his finger and thumb...hell he doesnt hold the pick at all!

so ya, if it sounds good then do it. you dont always have to do it like everyone else

Holy crap...

I had no Idea anyone could do something like that.

You know what, if he can find a way to play then I sure as hell can. I was feeling a bit down on myself because I thought I wasn't going to be physically able to do it, now i feel like a dumbass.

Thanks for the tips guys.