(Sorry if this is in the wrong board or whatever. If it isn't then please fix it)

I doubt it's just a problem with me, but while I can easily do most chords, I have a lot of trouble with bar chords. I can do most of them, though I only have a lot of trouble with them. However, some of them I just can't physically do - mainly, the B chord. Either my bar finger or my other fingers somehow get into the third string and messes me up.

I don't even think it's because of how small my fingers are; I'm 16, so my fingers can't be too small for being a guitarist.

And I know about capos, but if I'm practicing a full song, I don't think I can just put a capo on very quickly and then just take it off, in time for the next chord or note...

Can anyone help? ^_^;
Last edited by Shoj_ at Jul 1, 2008,
eh, thats not really what capos are for. Capos are to change the key of a song, not to help with bar chords. But as for your problem im not to sure how to help, sorry.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
What I do for the B chord is use my last 3 fingers to bar the D, G, and B strings on the 4th , then use my index finger on the A string, second fret
You must be patient. Don't expect to learn barre chords in a few hours, days, or even weeks.

I was frustrated at first because my fingers just could not do barre chords. It was painful and sounded bad. I kept up on finger exercises and practiced a little here and there and now it's not an issue anymore.

I know patience may be difficult to a lot of 16 year olds, at least it was for me, but just tell yourself that this is a very difficult instrument to play and it will take a long to get get good at it. Understanding this will help put your expectations at a more realistic level.
Quote by Don223
You must be patient. Don't expect to learn barre chords in a few hours, days, or even weeks.

I was frustrated at first because my fingers just could not do barre chords. It was painful and sounded bad. I kept up on finger exercises and practiced a little here and there and now it's not an issue anymore.

I know patience may be difficult to a lot of 16 year olds, at least it was for me, but just tell yourself that this is a very difficult instrument to play and it will take a long to get get good at it. Understanding this will help put your expectations at a more realistic level.

All right, I'll do that. I have a lot of patience when I want to have it. :P

Do you know of any finger exercises that would help, like the ones you used?
Quote by Shoj_
All right, I'll do that. I have a lot of patience when I want to have it. :P

Do you know of any finger exercises that would help, like the ones you used?

The best finger exercise is to just practice em till you're ready to quit, then practicing another 5 minutes more.

Just keep at it, your fingers will develop fine. Every time you do a barre chord, you're exercising the muscles that make it possible.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play