Ok, I am pretty good at knowing the fretboard, since I have practiced it almost every waking moment, and I can point to a note and know what it is in a second. Whats the next step for me? Do I learn scales, and learn each individual note of it, what the notes are, etc? Is it fine to be using a reference sheet with the notes on it, or will I begin to rely on that? Im new to theory, and I really dont know what to do. I know the formulas and stuff, but I dont know what to do first now to apply it...
Good place to start would be scales, yeah. learn about the circle of fifths, and then maby move into how scales/chords are formed, and then on to Modes. study your favourite guitar solo's or just songs, and try to pick out the chords, and the individual notes. Using that knowledge, figure out what key its in. See what scales or patterns they are using in the solo, too. That should help with your theory understanding.
cool thanks. Yeah, it seems I am book smart about this stuff, but I need to work on applying it...