I've got a girl who came to me and is interested in learning bass more than guitar. Instead of doing what i should have and referred her to a bass teacher, i said to myself "It's kinda like guitar. I can do it" and told her i'd teach her. the problem is that i don't know of any songs with simple bass lines. I don't listen for bass. Can you give me a short list of songs and excersizes to start a complete beginner out with bass? Your help is much appreciated.

-Dustin E. Pruente
Do her a favour and send her to someone who knows bass.

It's like asking a Spanish teacher to teach you French.
Quote by smb
Do her a favour and send her to someone who knows bass.

It's like asking a Spanish teacher to teach you French.

It might be more like asking a Spanish teacher to teach you Latin. They are similar in ways, but at the same time incredibly different.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
teach her where a few notes are and give her an exercise using those notes or teach her the c major scale its the easiest one
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Is it really that different. I do know how to play bass, and it doesn't seem that different. Granted, i'm nowhere near as good with a bass as a guitar, but I know my way around the instrument. I've just never tought it to anyone before and was wondering what i should be starting out with.
Quote by dustinp
Is it really that different. I do know how to play bass, and it doesn't seem that different. Granted, i'm nowhere near as good with a bass as a guitar, but I know my way around the instrument. I've just never tought it to anyone before and was wondering what i should be starting out with.

You may be able to teach her the basics, but find her a teacher to teach her more advanced things.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by Lordbob
It might be more like asking a Spanish teacher to teach you Latin. They are similar in ways, but at the same time incredibly different.
You think Spanish is similar to Latin, but has nothing in common with French? But sure, if you prefer.

Yes, it is more different than you realise. Sure, the fretting is the same, and musical theory is common to all instruments. But would you want to be taught guitar by someone who only knew bass?
teach her some basic stuff first like scales and wat not, maybe give her some exercises you do on guitar as well, some of them can work on bass too, then recomend a teacher if u know one.
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Start out with "killing in the name of" by RATM. The main riff is fun, simple, and it'll teach her the basics of hammer-ons and pull-offs. Other than that, the September issue of Guitar World had an article on walking bass lines, you might wanna pick it up. That song and magazine should have enough for a few weeks worth of lessons. Also, just cover what notes are where, and maybe just the major scale. That should get you through at least a month.
I'm kind of thinking along thos lines Lordbob. She seems like the type of person with a drive to learn. I interviewed her in my office and she wants to play with such a passion it amazed me. Seeing someone with that drive to learn refreshes me and reminds me why i started doing this in the first place. Maybe that's why i decided to keep her. nonetheless. what my game plan is at this point is to put her in the classroom and teach her music theory first, just as I would a guitarist, and then teach her the techniques to apply that to said instrument. I find that turns people who come in with a mindset that they only want to play guitar, and nothing else into a mindset that they can play anything and most of the time they can when i'm done with them. Tell me if my plan is wrong.
Ah, once again the presence of a female overrides a male's better judgement. You know that you won't be able to do a good job.
Send her to someone more famillier with her instrument. You may be able to show her a couple easy songs to cut her teeth on, but you won't be able to guide her away from bad habits, teach her advanced techniques or even some fundamentals, and you won't be able to teach what you do know as effectively because you aren't confident in your own knowledge of the instrument.

Just IMO, but send her to a bass teacher.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Teach her B flat scale

----------------------- 0 2 3 2 0-----------
----------------0 1 3------------ 3 1 0----
------------1 3--------------------------3 1
----------------------------------------------

Like that I believe, I haven't played bass in a while, I've switched to guitar since Christmas 2007.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."