I heard tube amps could withstand power surging/ lightning striking your power line, but a solid state wouldn't. Is that true?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
A lightning strike will obliterate any amp plugged in at the time. Tube amps can handle surges a little better, but not a whole lot better, and only because you'd only fry the tubes instead of nuking the whole amp like you might with a SS.
^+1Roc

and because tubes are relatively inexpensive to replace and can be done by yourself usually, they can withstand better from a $$ perspective. Good point. Either way, I usually unplug my amp and pedals in a storm with lots of lightening around.
Would a surge protector protect my amp if I was playing while it's struck, or it's still plugged in when the lightning strikes?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
in theory yes, and personally i wouldn't do it any other way. all of my stuff is on a surge protected power strip.

BUT - on the flip side, I had an APC surge protecting power strip (one of the nicer ones) and it completely blew when I plugged my laptop into it today so you can never be too safe.

oh, and generally, don't plug other stuff like TV's and cell phones into a strip with your Gear as it can create unwanted feedback. Just physically unplug your amp if there is a lightening storm or if your going to be away for a while. That's true with any expensive electronics really.
Ok, thanks everyone.
Quote by chip46
I'd rather have my cat (if I had a cat) get struck by lightning than my amp.
^imgooley:

Totally. Amps>Cats
Especially expensive ones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
^imgooley:

Totally. Amps>Cats
Especially expensive ones.

All (well... most) amps>cats. And I have a 300 dollar amp.

The real question is: cats>cows?
if i had a Bad Cat i wouldnt want it to get struck by lightning.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.