Page 1 of 2
I HAVE used the search bar. Couldn't find anything. Probably might be something deep within, but I'm to lazy to go all out.

I was wondering if I am alone in this feeling. But whenever I go in to a guitar/intrument shop, I always get this feeling like the staff that are working there don't want me to touch anything. As though I'm not worthy of the guitars. Especially if I know I'm not here to buy anything. And it annoys me. The staff always seem so hostile to me, as If I'm wasting their time. With their snappy "Can I help you?". If I'm there to buy a guitar, I'm going to have to test a lot of them to find one a like. Which seems like a daunting task to me, of having to ask over and over again to use the different guitars.

Or maybe I'm just a pussy. My dad agrees that he hates guitar shops because of the atmosphere in there.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Guitar Shops on the whole are full of arrogant assholes. Ive been going in for 15 years and i still get things like 'why do you want to bother putting locking tuners on'. Having said that i used to try out high end guitars weekly with no intention of buying and they can get easily scratched.
Last edited by tuwyci at Jul 1, 2008,
No i get that feeling too. That's why when I go into guitar shops i usually play 1 or 2 guitars and leave or play as much as I want if theres a lot of people there so i don't feel as guilty
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I feel as if everyone there is gonna label me by what I play. That's why I try and keep it simple, chords, scales and stuff
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Well in many stores i've been in, the workers there really are just kinda assholes to people they don't think will give them business. And usually they profile who those people are. I guess a 14 year old kid is less likely to buy something than a 35 year old man with a businessman hairstyle. Also a lot of it has to do with intimidation. I know the first time I went to Guitar Center and saw its enormousness I was just thrown back by the tall walls with guitars hanging that would need a ****ing lumberjack to climb up to get. Just gotta realize you're only there for yourself and not any of those asshole workers.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Well I'm not to worried about what stuff I play with the guitar actually in my hands. I usually buy a few plectrums to make my self feel better, even if I don't need any.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
I love dicking around in GC and other stores, but I have noticed that my playing usually isn't quite as good as it is when I'm playing at home, or even when I'm playing a gig... s'pose it's because of the nerves from playing in public, without the adrenaline rush from a gig.

Never feel really intimidated or like I'm not worthy, though...
well i got kicked out of one, they said i wasnt going to buy it. first there was no one there, it wasnt even pluged in, i asked for help getting it down and askign to use it. next day i bought it....... they didnt even say sorry. ive spent 2500$ worth of stuff and they are still hostile towards me. it pisses me off even in canada there are asshoels everywhere!
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I love dicking around in GC and other stores, but I have noticed that my playing usually isn't quite as good as it is when I'm playing at home, or even when I'm playing a gig... s'pose it's because of the nerves from playing in public, without the adrenaline rush from a gig.

+1
I always freeze up at stores for some reason.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
I've had a few kick me out for staying there too long. The people at the GC I go to only started being really nice after I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of equipment. (Actually it was my mom, I was there with her-- before I could drive myself). A few of the private places just kinda watch to make sure I'm not totally dumb, usually ask once, "you know what you're doing?" (in a nice kinda way) and then leave me to my playing.

Edit: I guess another main thing now is that I look a bit more of age to be doing stuff on my own, so more places treat me better. But I still get kicked out of a few.
Big box store are usually hit or miss.

private shops usually have a good atmosphere at least in my area.

So as mentioned before Private Shops FTFW.
Don't worry bro; The same thing happens to me.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

well the shop i go to that had to do with my above story is a indepentdant shop, the only chained shops are long and mcquade and axe music up here in canada, and there ont he other side of the city. all of the shops ive been to are hostile towards me, its cause im 15 years old and they dont think ill buy anything..... i hate people like that they sicken me.
Never really made sense to me. It's bad for business if you treat potential customers like ****. I've only ever been to one "big" guitar shop though. It's the small ones I don't like. To close to the staff.

Another thing I hate about private guitar shops near me is that they never seem to have GOOD guitars. Closest thing I've seen to a good guitar was a couple of Hamers. They were gone pretty quickly though.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Are you going in for them or for you?

Just look at what you want to look at. Don't be an ass about it, like asking to see a $5000 Les Paul when you have no intention of buying, but when they say "can I help you" just say "no thanks, I'm just looking". I shopped around for 4 months before I got my current guitar, and I certainly didn't buy a guitar every time I went into a shop. Their job is to answer questions and work the register, as long as you aren't being disruptive just ignore them and do whatever it is you came to do.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Glimsom
Never really made sense to me. It's bad for business if you treat potential customers like ****. I've only ever been to one "big" guitar shop though. It's the small ones I don't like. To close to the staff.

Another thing I hate about private guitar shops near me is that they never seem to have GOOD guitars. Closest thing I've seen to a good guitar was a couple of Hamers. They were gone pretty quickly though.

i got my ibanez 1570 prestige at a private one ;P
Quote by Våd Hamster
Private shops FTFW.

Private shops are just as bad (around here anyway), if not worse. The store i always go to are arseholes, but its the closest place around soo...
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
Quote by Pr3vieWX360
Private shops are just as bad (around here anyway), if not worse. The store i always go to are arseholes, but its the closest place around soo...

Really? here they are always nice like a day of sunshine.
I like our Guitar Center here. The employees are nice (for the most part) and will discuss without that salesman force hold. It must just be my shop or something.
Just so you know, I wasn't looking for advice. =P

And nah, I'm not going to ask to play a crazy expensive guitar with no intention of buying it. Hell. I barely play any guitars at all. I always feel strangely comfortable with acoustics though. Even though I am a complete noob on them.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

The first time I went into GC I was nervous but when I seen my dad play a couple guitars I just started playing. My friend had the same problem but he still wont play the guitars.

But like hrdcorelaxplaya said, not to the best of my ablility
Quote by Glimsom
Just so you know, I wasn't looking for advice. =P

And nah, I'm not going to ask to play a crazy expensive guitar with no intention of buying it. Hell. I barely play any guitars at all. I always feel strangely comfortable with acoustics though. Even though I am a complete noob on them.

Alright, in that case no I don't have that problem and yes you're just being a pussy about it =p
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Alright, in that case no I don't have that problem and yes you're just being a pussy about it =p

You meanie. ;(
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
I suffer from the fear of the guitar shop, A few days ago i removed my strings because they were literally 10 years old and i planned to go get new one but i havent found the courage to walk into the shop
Keep Strong Grundy

Quote by metaldud536
Milkshakes. They bring the boys to the yard.

Quote by humperdunk
OWNED
Quote by Bucketbot10
I suffer from the fear of the guitar shop, A few days ago i removed my strings because they were literally 10 years old and i planned to go get new one but i havent found the courage to walk into the shop

....grow a penis please
I sometimes get that feeling. However, when the store clerk doesn't know what she's talking about, it's always fun to mess with her. XD (I did that the other day when I was buying new strings.)
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by stinger12345
There you go being a pussy again

Yeah? Well. At least I don't need to put numbers in my screen name just so I can remember how to count. =P
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom
Yeah? Well. At least I don't need to put numbers in my screen name just so I can remember how to count. =P

FAIL.

I think half you guys are makin **** up. Why would a shop treat their customers bad? it's illogical.
I'm glad this thread was made since I had a bad case of nerves in the shop eariler today. I took my guitar in yesterday for a quick pot fix, they phoned me this morning to say it was ready. Great, speedy fix and they're only down the road. Ten minutes later i'm in there, quick chat with the guy behind the counter and then I'm asked "Do you want to test it, see if its ok?" Sure, I'd love to. I didn't feel nervous at all, at least I wasn't concious of it, then I sit down with my guitar and my leg is shaking like crazy, uh-oh, bad sign of nerves. What happens? Even stuff I've been playing for years and know inside out - HUGE mistakes all over the place.
The chap working there was great though, I don't know how he managed to recognise what I was playing considering the appalling job I was doing but he just smiled and said, "I haven't heard that in a while" then we talked about Van Halen for a bit, he played some too, then after all was said and done I paid the fee and went home, feeling like a prat for getting Guitar Shop nerves and losing all ability to play.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I think half you guys are makin **** up. Why would a shop treat their customers bad? it's illogical.

That's what I said. But it's not really open hostility with me. It's just this feeling I have like they're giving me the Evil Eye.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Våd Hamster

Not necessarily the shop, but if you put anyone behind a counter and pay em $9 an hour, well, you get what you pay for.

Course I've seen a lot of people do a lot of douche-esque things in Sam Ash. I'd probably develop an attitude too
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
i get that feeling in alot of different stores...i know what you mean
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
Makes sense I guess. ^

I wouldn't know, we don't really have any commercial guitar shops here, only private importers. They always treat customers like gold.
here we got a private shop and the service is usually deadly, the guy who owns it even huged me after i bought my acoustic bass lol
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I usually shop at SoundControl (now called Reverb for some stupid reason) and they are cool in there (they usually give me discounts), they let you play whatever you like, and they usually keep out of your way unless you look like you need help. The guys at the till are pretty ignorant though, when you're waiting to pay they just talk amongst themselves and just ignore you, and when you try and get their attention they give you the evil eye.

I know what you mean about the nerves though, I was like that when I bought my first guitar from there when I wasn't very good They didn't care how well I played though aslong as I didn't break anything lol
They're just concerned that you'll damage their gear and get fingerprints all over. It's just business.

Do you think people would want to pay a full grand for an american strat if the pickup slector tip is missing, a string is missing, and there's fingerprints all over it?

The company owns these things and they don't want the standard musician who can't afford much to wear out the gear before they can sell it.

Car dealerships allow the customers to test out cars but they limit the allowed use.
This thread reminded me of the time when I was trying out a 60th anniversary Tele at a Guitar Center, and as I was walking to put it back, I bumped it against a stool, and a big piece of paint chipped off.
I just quickly put it back and I don't think anyone noticed.

I like that Guitar Center though because I bought a guitar from the Assistant Manager before he was the assistant manager, and now he gives me all sorts of fun discounts.
Page 1 of 2