Page 1 of 2
I've been doing extensive research on the Peavey ValveKing 112, and it really looks like the amp I'm going to get. My birthday is coming up in August, and I'm getting an amp. I need to tell my parents what to get me pretty soon so they can order it and stuff. I know that I will probably want to upgrade the speakers, and possibly the tubes, judging
by what I've read, but despite that, it looks great. I just want to know what UG has to say about my choice of the ValveKing before I make the final decision.

Thanks guys.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Its a good amp, but If you intend to play metal I'd suggest an OD pedal. Its not like you cant play metal without one on it, but it tightens up the sound and really helps the tone.
If you intend on buying an overdrive pedals & upgrading the speakers and valves in the VK as soon as you buy it, take that money and put it towards a better amp.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
My budget is 400 or less since my parents are buying it for me. I would probably gig with it. I assumed it would be enough power, being 50 watts of tube. My 15 watt micro stack can play over drums at 3/4 volume, but of course it sounds like trash. I don't need all that much distortion because the most I would play is classic or melodic metal. But I am looking to get an Ibanez TS9 tubescreamer as an overdrive.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

dude get a the blackheart handsome devil its like a mini jcm for 400$ and loud as a vk

trust me its much better

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Chance, I have a Bad Monkey OD on my Valveking and I think it rocks. Not the greatest amp in the world, but for $400 it is hard to beat. A UGr recently posted some clips in his profile but it will take me a minute to find it.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with these other suggestions imo.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 1, 2008,
The VK is a good amp. I would wait on modding it till you have played it for a few months and broken it in. The Tubescreamer is the only OD pedal I will use, all others sound too raspy or fuzzy but that is just my preference. If you could wait and save up for the 5150 that is a good suggestion. Also the Carvin Steve Vai Legacy is a great amp and is the one I am shooting for now but then again that is just my opinion and highly subjective.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
I briefly checked out that BlackHeart you recommended. I really doubt that would be loud enough for me, simply because I may be doing small gigs. The rhythm guitarist in my band has a 75 watt SS amp, and I doubt I would cut through with 15 watts. I don't doubt that it sounds great though.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I absolutly love my Vk, especially after putting a V-30 in today. It doesn't need a pedal as long as you aren't doing anything heavier than thrash or power metal.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
and try out both amps before you buy kid.
just go try out the crate and maybe it will convince you.
Quote by Chance125
I briefly checked out that BlackHeart you recommended. I really doubt that would be loud enough for me, simply because I may be doing small gigs. The rhythm guitarist in my band has a 75 watt SS amp, and I doubt I would cut through with 15 watts. I don't doubt that it sounds great though.

15 watts would easily keep up with that 75 watter if you EQ properly. I second that Crate V series suggestion above me somewhere.
Do you know of any sound samples for the Crate V-50? I don't know much about that amp.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by timi_hendrix
If you intend on buying an overdrive pedals & upgrading the speakers and valves in the VK as soon as you buy it, take that money and put it towards a better amp.

+1, it doesn't make any sense to me why someone would buy that amp then change everything, effectively making it a $200-300 more expensive amp, which they then could've just bought something better in the first place.

I say if you're "budget" is that low, tell your parents you'll pitch in the extra cash that you were going to spend on tubes, speaker and OD and buy something better to start out with.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm not saying I'm upgrading right off the bat. I'm just saying it's possible that I might throw a new speaker on there just for that extra kick. I'm going to mod it to my liking after I get it, although I'll probably be pretty happy with it for a while. I am trying to do a compare/contrast with the Crate V50 that you guys recommended, but I can't really find anything. A little help?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I don't think anyone necessarily suggested upgrading everything. He has $400. He can upgrade later if wants to (and that is true with any amp). An OD pedal is never a waste of money it can stay with you for the long haul.

Either way, I'm not going to enter into a Valveking argument. Chance, do you think your parents could go used? Like off Craiglist? Or possibly give you Gift Cert to GuitarCenter for example so you can go try stuff out and/or add some of your own money? That is what I would suggest. Tell them you REALLY need to go play some amps and you hate to throw their money away on something you may end up not liking.

EDIT: Chance - you beat me to it.
Quote by Chance125
I'm not saying I'm upgrading right off the bat. I'm just saying it's possible that I might throw a new speaker on there just for that extra kick. I'm going to mod it to my liking after I get it, although I'll probably be pretty happy with it for a while. I am trying to do a compare/contrast with the Crate V50 that you guys recommended, but I can't really find anything. A little help?

Here's a whole bunch of stuff in your price range. These are all Tube so they won't include the Fender SuperChamp XD or any Vox Valvetronix (which might also work).

I'm only using Guitar Center as a guide because it looks like you live on Mars. he he

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3.gc?o=1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't think anyone necessarily suggested upgrading everything. He has $400. He can upgrade later if wants to (and that is true with any amp). An OD pedal is never a waste of money it can stay with you for the long haul.

Either way, I'm not going to enter into a Valveking argument. Chance, do you think your parents could go used? Like off Craiglist? Or possibly give you Gift Cert to GuitarCenter for example so you can go try stuff out and/or add some of your own money? That is what I would suggest. Tell them you REALLY need to go play some amps and you hate to throw their money away on something you may end up not liking.

EDIT: Chance - you beat me to it.
^ a big +1. the reason I bought my VK was I got into a band and my 15w MG just couldn't keep up. I had no time to save up extra for a C-30, and I had to buy new because I had to trade in the MG and an Epi LP. While I'd rather have a C-30, I used money as I got it to upgrade the Vk, and now I have a really nice amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
It seems like it has really nice cleans, but that guy had a modded speaker. I want to hear a good example of the distortion channel, because the other ones sounded like **** to my ears.
(the Crate V50 I mean)
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Last edited by Chance125 at Jul 1, 2008,
Now THAT is what I was looking for! That thing's got KILLER tone man! What's the difference between the V50, and the VK 112 as far as speakers/tubes go?

LOL he said Br00talz
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

did you check out the link to Sadistic Sponge Profile I posted earlier?....

he has several clips with and without OD and his is completely stock. Nothing modded.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

But as far as speaker/tubes goes - that's a toss up. People replace speakers and tubes all the time on all kinds of amps so what is your real question?
Yah i know what your saying, your not ganna get a valveking to sound like that out of the box.
I dont know what the diffrence is are the crate is voiced more like a marshall and it can do just about evrything bettor than the valveking IMO, while the valveking, well i dont know exactly where the hell they were going with the valveking its not really moddeled after anything.
So... Crate V50 FTW?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
did you check out the link to Sadistic Sponge Profile I posted earlier?....

he has several clips with and without OD and his is completely stock. Nothing modded.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

But as far as speaker/tubes goes - that's a toss up. People replace speakers and tubes all the time on all kinds of amps so what is your real question?

I still think the OD stock sounds pretty bad compared to the Crates also that guy needed an MT-2 to do what the crate did by itself, other than that the cleans souded thin in comparison to the crate as well.
All in all the Valveking is frieken awesom man ill have to agree with you on that...... if youve never played a crate or course.
Last edited by blabermouth5 at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by Chance125
So... Crate V50 FTW?

there alot of Valveking owners that will disagree with you but id say scew it and just buy, either way it isnt like your getting a spider or anything.
Quote by blabermouth5
I still think the OD stock sounds pretty bad compared to the Crates also that guy needed an MT-2 to do what the crate did by itself, other than that the cleans souded thin in comparison to the crate as well.
All in all the Valveking is frieken awesom man ill have to agree with you on that...... if youve never played a crate or course.

That's fair.

I'm really talking about his Valveking 112 demo that is 11 minutes long. He is clean to start and gets heavey around 4 and half minutes in. That part is stock and demonstates the natural overdrive of this amp. He has not upgraded anything and I'll bet there are youtube video's of modded Valvekings out there I just have not searched yet.

I have not played the Crates but the youtube demos earlier sounded pretty good.
Lol.. Yeah. Ya know it isn't worth having a 1200 dollar guitar in your hands if it sounds ****ty because of the amp anyway. I really need a tube amp, and it looks like I'm going for the Crate now. Thanks for all your help guys.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Page 1 of 2