The strings on mine haven't been replaced in 4 1/2 years. They haven't broke so should i replace them?
it differs from person to person and with the string type. whenever they start to sound dull or rust.
4 and a half years OF COURSE REPLACE THEM. You replace them on how often you play, or how acidic your sweat it. i usally replace mine every 1-3 weeks depending on if i have gigs or such
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
Yes.

There's no real reccomended amount of time you should keep your strings on for, but after 4.5 years they must sound AWFUL... you'll be blown away by the difference in your tone once you change them.
DUDE 4 AND 1/2 ****IN YEARS MINE dONT EVEN LAST A MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

so yes change them
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Last edited by saitenslayer at Jul 1, 2008,
I don't see how you could stand to play on them after tht long, lol.
i dont even use strings anymore...they're soooo 1998
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
....how do you keep 4 1/2 year old strings in tune? the metal is probably completely oxidized by now.
haha
and yes u probably should
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
oh yes, and another thing. by the way you asked how long you should HAVE THEM replaced, i am guessing you don't know how to restring your own guitar. this is a simple task to perform and every guitarist should know how to do it, so find someone to show you how or look online to find out. i wouldn't be surprised if there was a sticky somewhere on here that shows you how to do it.

breaking in fresh strings is an awesome feeling, have fun!
Quote by thisismyacc
4 and a half years OF COURSE REPLACE THEM. You replace them on how often you play, or how acidic your sweat it. i usally replace mine every 1-3 weeks depending on if i have gigs or such

1-3 weeks?!?!?! lol... No i don't think i'll have gigs for a while.

To the guy commenting about the tone, Yeah i relized lately when im starting to play more (and get better) my tone is fairly poor.

Is there a good brand? I don't want the most expensive i just want a good value and a nice tone.
Quote by Wafflesniper

To the guy commenting about the tone, Yeah i relized lately when im starting to play more (and get better) my tone is fairly poor.

Is there a good brand? I don't want the most expensive i just want a good value and a nice tone.

D'Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball, lots to choose from.

Ernie Ball strings always break on me for some reason, but it doesn't with other people.

However, the first two are fine with me.
if i could afford to change the everyday i would, because they need it everyday...yes i play like a madman...but i only change once a month...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by Wafflesniper

that guy knew what he was talking about, he might change them more often to preserve tone but the metal will oxidize when exposed to air so usually strings go sour after a month.
I read a while back that you should change your strings every 30 hours spent playing them. So like if you play an hour a day, you change your strings once a month. I've found this to be a pretty good rule.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
For the love of God, change them. Put on some fresh d'Addarios or something and it'll bring your guitar back to life.

Unless you use flatwounds, of course.
i saw somewhere black sabbath hadn't changed their strings in a LONG time, like years as in this situation, and that added to their heavy sound in the beginning...they couldnt afford strings...anyways personally i would change them...strings arent like wine, they dont get better with age...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by smb
For the love of God, change them. Put on some fresh d'Addarios or something and it'll bring your guitar back to life.

Now that this topic comes to mind, I should have the strings on my electric replaced as well.
Quote by vantage4
....how do you keep 4 1/2 year old strings in tune? the metal is probably completely oxidized by now.

I once had a set on for almost two years and I had no issues with tuning stability or tone! Of course, I cleaned the strings after every use lol.

As far as brands, I've come to realize that strings are strings. To me they all play and sound the same.
I would invest in exliers, they cost a bit more, but they have this coating over them making them last longer
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by Felgate
can anyone tell me how i get a tone similar to what avril lavigne uses in skater boy please?
Ernie Ball strings are good, only one broke during a bend after 2 months.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
I try to get a month out of my strings. As long as I wipe down the strings with a cloth after play and keep it in the case when not in use they are usually fine for that long. (I have sweaty fingers)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic-Electric CD140SCE
Quote by i_am_metalhead

As far as brands, I've come to realize that strings are strings. To me they all play and sound the same.

I would have to disagree with that. I can definitely feel and hear the difference between certain brands. Strings are not just strings. Companies wind them differently, use different materials, shape them differently, gauge them differently. Personally, I have always been a big fan of D'addario.
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Quote by Wafflesniper
The strings on mine haven't been replaced in 4 1/2 years. They haven't broke so should i replace them?

Dude, lol! I have a mate like you. He plays a bit of guitar casually, and as far as he's concerned, you change them when they break, which is not the case. I change mine once every week to two weeks, depending on how much I've played them/how much I can be bothered. I imagine your strings are much like my mate Ben's strings, which are completely black and lifeless. Thing is, they've probably degraded so slowly that you haven't noticed. Think of it when you were little, and you don't notice yourself growing, but when your auntie who you haven't seen for a year comes round, she'll always go "Ohh.. haven't you grown!!" (usually accompanied by grabbing your cheek). If you only play kind of casually, then string degradation will have been very slow, and you wouldn't really notice. I bet you don't play much lead, cause if you did... bend*SNAP* lol.

Get some new ones, and never ever leave strings on that long again.
I relpace mine every couple of months. Apart from sounding bad, after 4.5 years, I can't imagine how dirty your fretboard is!

Take your strings off, clean the fretboard, and put some shiny new strings on!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
change it when they need it. My strings seem to last forever. and i like the tone of my strings after they've dulled a bit.

i change my strings like.. every 6 months or so.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Nonono... all of them sound slightly different and also feel slightly different. I could feel the different switching between Gibson Les Paul Strings, D'Addario and Elixirs.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

lol 4 and a half years....at the greatest record of string life for me i got 4 and a half weeks...i play to much at the least 4 hours a day....everyday

bends are almost always the cause of death

oh and say you were to put new ones on...play them for a month or so and 1 breaks...replace the whole set
neil young disagrees with all of you when it comes to restringing
signed,
your favorite poster
Quote by beckyjc
I think you should take them off and sell them on ebay as unbreakable magical strings.

i 2nd that

i know a kid from the "Whats the dumbest thing a guitarist has told you?" that would buy them
What the hell. If they managed to survive for 4 1/2 years, why change them now? See how long you can go. Just get a tetanus shot first.
I could keep strings FOREVER since my hands usually don't sweat. I usually change them after a month or so though.
Quote by wemonir
neil young disagrees with all of you when it comes to restringing

Because his tone comes from the fact that his strings are old...

For me, I change them every month or two. I use D'Addarios, has the best clairty for me (I used GHS for a while. but they lacked calrity).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The strings on my Les Paul are over a year old. Of course, I can change them anytime I want, but I'm too lazy.

But dude, 4 1/2 YEARS?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.