So I am fixing to buy new strings and maybe some picks, and I want some informed opinions about the ones I have in mind. First of all the strings. I like the "extra light" (9/42) strings, and I wonder whether anyone here thinks the Ernie Ball "Super Slinky" are better than the Daddario EXL120. Tell me what pros or cons you have about either or both. Now for the picks: I want to try the Dunlop "Big Stubby" and musiciansfriend.com has three thicknesses listed. They are 1mm, 2mm and 3mm. Are those the thickness of the grip? They all narrow to the same thickness at the business end...right? Would one thickness be easier to handle or faster, and is it all just a matter of comfort and personal taste? I don't want to blow a pile of cash on the wrong model.

Thanks for your advice.
I prefer Ernie Ball Extra Slinky on non Floyd Rose guitars because I think they make the longest lasting .8 gauge string out there. For my guitar with the FL I still use Ernie Ball (Super Slinky) but that is just an arbitrary choice not because I think they are better. For picks it is definately a personal preference. For ages I used nothing but the Fender Extra Heavy (which they no longer make) but then switched to a Ultex Jazz III about 15 years ago which is a completely different type of pick and am sorry I never found that one sooner. A lot of shredders prefer the Jazz III style picks because of the very small pointed end which cuts the string quicker but you do lose some of the guts when playing chords.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Give the new Eric Johnson Jazz III's a shot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't know if it's a good idea to get a pick just because it is designed to stick to your fingers. You just need to get gripping the pick correctly down, so you can use all picks adequately. After that, you should choose a pick based on ease or comfortability of play, not grip.

I personally like switching between Dunlop Jazz III's and Tortex Sharps .73's. I get very different tones from both so I use them for different things (Tortex is brighter, Jazz is warmer, Tortex makes for more defined sound, Jazz makes for faster play), but they both have a pointed tip which I find a lot easier to cut through strings. The dunlop has text on it that is raised from the surface of the pick to help grip, and the Tortex pick is made out of a rougher material to help grip. In the end, both picks have something to help the grip, but I use them mostly for how they play.