Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Mesa Mark IV
8 100%
H/K Switchblade
0 0%
Voters: 8.
If you want effects, go with the H&K, but for just versatile, amazing tone, go with the Mesa.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
*sigh*

Guitars? Genre? What kind of tone are you looking for?

sigh? I thought my post was good as it was.

I use Strats, and I like my versatility as they are both known as versatile amps.

I probably should of made a spider valve vs h/k poll. I think the spider valve is crap if that sheds any light.
^I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's definitely up there. It's a twiquer's amp though; be prepared to slightly change something every few months. Otherwise, it's wonderful; it can do everything I ask of it, which is a wide range of stuff.
Well, for me I'd choose the Mark IV.

I own one, but am shipping it out this week, trading for a 5150 III.

It's a great amp, but my main problems with it are the clean channel, which is too warm for me, I want some sparkle but I can't get that without changing settings on the back, which them change the sound of the other channels, and the R2 channel. R2 sounds decent with a boost, but by itself, it has no punch and is unusable for me. Take into consideration that these are only my own observations so you might think otherwise

The Switchblade was a good amp when I tried it out, but I still preferred my Mark IV.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^sparkly cleans I like too. If I get a mark IV I plan on switching the two outer tubes to el34 which gives the cleans a thinner sound I've heard. Yeah I guess it'll mess with the other channels also...oh well
Quote by oggiedoggy
^sparkly cleans I like too. If I get a mark IV I plan on switching the two outer tubes to el34 which gives the cleans a thinner sound I've heard.

Yes, that's what I did when I just retubed it. The lead channel actually sounds really good with the EL-34s and the clean channel, somehow, became better but I was hoping R2 would sound a little more Marshally, but still no dice.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ameer
^I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's definitely up there. It's a twiquer's amp though; be prepared to slightly change something every few months minutes. Otherwise, it's wonderful; it can do everything I ask of it, which is a wide range of stuff.

i think it's just ridiculous sometimes...

TS, i haven't played the HK, but i'm sure you'd feel a lot better if you've tried out both. i agree with matrixclaw on the R2 channel though, it's decent, but is probably the weakest part of the amp. maybe some 6v6's would fix that right up, i'm not sure. i need to get some money together and try it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've tried both, and I love my Mark IV. I played the Switchblade just for fun one time, and thought it was decent, but the effects sucked to me. I like analog a lot more though. Anyways, I have a Mark IV, and I love it. The R2 channel is a little lacking, but matched with a Keeley Fuzzhead, it sounds great. The Lead channel is dominant to anything I've ever compared it too. The cleans are awesome for me, and they are very warm, which I love. I can use the clean for blues, and it still sounds great, and the reverb is good too. I can't see why anyone would not want the Mark IV. The biggest complaint about it is you MUST get a noise supressor of some kind. I've used a Boss and it was fine, but I bought an ISP Noise Gate, and it works great with it. I keep it on almost all the time unless there's a part where there is feedback.

By the way, MatrixClaw, I've heard the cleans are horrible in the 5150? Never tried it out for myself though. I hear the distortion is to die for though.

Good Luck on choosing an amp man.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Oh yeah, and with a 2x12 instead of a 4x12 also brightens up all the channels as well. I tried it through a 2x12 and a 4x12, and I liked the 4x12 more.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Quote by mlkIII
I've tried both, and I love my Mark IV. I played the Switchblade just for fun one time, and thought it was decent, but the effects sucked to me. I like analog a lot more though. Anyways, I have a Mark IV, and I love it. The R2 channel is a little lacking, but matched with a Keeley Fuzzhead, it sounds great. The Lead channel is dominant to anything I've ever compared it too. The cleans are awesome for me, and they are very warm, which I love. I can use the clean for blues, and it still sounds great, and the reverb is good too. I can't see why anyone would not want the Mark IV. The biggest complaint about it is you MUST get a noise supressor of some kind. I've used a Boss and it was fine, but I bought an ISP Noise Gate, and it works great with it. I keep it on almost all the time unless there's a part where there is feedback.

By the way, MatrixClaw, I've heard the cleans are horrible in the 5150? Never tried it out for myself though. I hear the distortion is to die for though.

Good Luck on choosing an amp man.

nah, the 5150 III is a totally different amp. apparently it's up to standards with the likes of the SLO.

and do you run your isp in front or in the loop of your mark IV?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mlkIII
The biggest complaint about it is you MUST get a noise supressor of some kind. I've used a Boss and it was fine, but I bought an ISP Noise Gate, and it works great with it. I keep it on almost all the time unless there's a part where there is feedback.

What? Really? Mine is DEAD silent, even at high volumes with tons of gain. I NEVER use my Decimator anymore with it

And yes, the 5150 III is COMPLETELY different from the 5150/6505, there really is no comparison imo. Trust me, I had a 5150 before the Mark IV.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com