Page 1 of 2
I like it.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
uhh that wasnt shred? lol
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
dude, dont take this the wrong way im just givin you advice, it sounded like you were just playin through a scale and stopping on a couple notes.

if you set up a chord progression and play with the changes it'll sound way better
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
It didn't really sound "fluent" enough. Kind of like you were forcing every note out... kind of hard to explain.
Quote by dylanfromearth
You need a fender guitar or at least one with a warmer tone. Jazz also has more tempo changes.

Well it's just a start for a solo I'm trying to make. I'm trying to play more prog metal stuff.
Quote by Next_GuitarGod
Well it's just a start for a solo I'm trying to make. I'm trying to play more prog metal stuff.

you WROTE that?
instruments:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Quote by AngelOfHatred
It didn't really sound "fluent" enough. Kind of like you were forcing every note out... kind of hard to explain.

Well it's was a bit hard for me to play. I think I understand what you mean.
Quote by codyshredfoo
you WROTE that?

Yes I did. If you read the description in the video it says

"A lick I made up in the blues scale in the key of G#"
On a positive note, that's pretty good for 11 months. I've seen others nowhere near that after almost a year.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Next_GuitarGod

You didn't "write" anything... you just played a scale. WOOHOO!!

And that is FAR from shred.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Show me shred then
Quote by i_am_metalhead

That's exactly what I thought, word for word.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Next_GuitarGod

dude why dont you just learn how to tear it up in G#?

then you can just improvise stuff like that just messin around
instruments:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Ok honestly does it really matter? I thought of it while playing, saved it on guitar pro, and made a video of it, so why does it matter if I "wrote" it or not?
Quote by thefrigginbob
WEll what the **** do you want from posting this?

Do you want people to say

"YEAH DOGG YOU SHRED TAHT MOFO UP AN R TEH BEST GEETARIST I EVER SAW SHRED!!!!!"

You've been playing for 11 months, so no you are not a great shredder.

by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Jc4ftNpD8&feature=related

good point and great example of shredding
Quote by Underjoggle
My guitar is made from the wood of Christ's cross. With strings made of his beard hair.
Why are you getting so mad? Did you really expect us to say you are amazing. Every time someone makes one of these threads asking how good they are they get pissed when someone says they aren't good.

Keep your ego out of here, I mean look at your username...
Quote by Next_GuitarGod
Wow you talk about hating

Jealousy issues huh?

Nobody here is jealous, we're just trying to push the next guitar god in the right direction so in 10 years we could all be buying your signature Ibanez
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

well its not bad but if u wanna shred u gotta make it a little faster and turn up the distortion, but if u wanna make it bluesy give it a warm tone add some bends and slide in there and youd be soundin good
Quote by stinger12345
Nobody here is jealous, we're just trying to push the next guitar god in the right direction so in 10 years we could all be buying your signature Ibanez

So far people have been doing nothing but arguing with me
Quote by Next_GuitarGod
Ok honestly does it really matter? I thought of it while playing, saved it on guitar pro, and made a video of it, so why does it matter if I "wrote" it or not?

...because if you write a solo you dont just write a solo...you have to write chords to go behind it so you can establish a key, you might be pl,aying in a G# scale, but if you dont play chords behind it it doesnt have a definite end, and it sounds like your just messin around in G#
instruments:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Quote by codyshredfoo
...because if you write a solo you dont just write a solo...you have to write chords to go behind it so you can establish a key, you might be pl,aying in a G# scale, but if you dont play chords behind it it doesnt have a definite end, and it sounds like your just messin around in G#

Well like I said it's just a start

And I do have chords with it but I didn't record myself playing them
Quote by Next_GuitarGod

im not arguing dawg...

im just giving you advice i wish someone gave me when i first started playing solos
instruments:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Quote by Next_GuitarGod
Well like I said it's just a start

And I do have chords with it but I didn't record myself playing them

you should definitely do that, i wanna hear how it sounds with chords behind it...
instruments:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
Quote by Next_GuitarGod

Look the fact of the matter is that it's a cool little lick, we're not saying it's bad. But it honestly just isn't shredding, you still have a while to go, but after 11 months have started in the right direction. And as you gain more experience and start writing more things you will realize there is more of a difference between actual songs, and just playing various licks up and down a scale.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

11 months. I think you're off to a good start. Give yourself credit. You've had the guts to put something together and ask for feedback. Keep developing this and other ideas before you know it you will be ripping it up.
That sound more like just going through a scale. But can you really expect to be able to shred when only playing for 11 months? It takes years and lots of practice to shred at a high level.
Quote by Next_GuitarGod

Deal with it. You're not that great, and you're asking for criticism. So, they gave it to you and you're started bitching. Grow up.
Dickless.
It wasnt shred. It wasnt even that bluesy.

Add feeling. Its hard to think of at 11 months, you have to get a feeling of the instrument, what its capable of, what you are doing with it. Its kind of like buddhist enlightenment. I dont have it fully yet, mabye even Satch doesnt have it. I guess enlightenment would be the complete seperation of the guitar being an "instrument" where your mind and body are completely syncopated.

I know that sounds cheesy, w/e... :p

As far as im concerned, i dont WRITE licks.
I dont sit down and think of licks to play.

I improvise when im jamming or with a backing track.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
That was neither shred nor blues. However, it was very good progress for 11 months of playing. You need to snag up a metronome and play along evenly and tension-free, slowly (SLOWLY) building up speed.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Playing the guitar isn't about playing fast just to play fast. At least, that's not what any enjoyable music is about.

Work on your phrasing. Some very common techniques you'll hear in the blues is excessive use of bending, sliding, and vibrato. Actually, that's something you'll hear a lot in Metal also.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

This made me laugh, because it's pretty much EXACTLY what shred is.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That was neither shred nor blues. However, it was very good progress for 11 months of playing. You need to snag up a metronome and play along evenly and tension-free, slowly (SLOWLY) building up speed.

Ya I'm already doing this with a few exercises that I know of. Helps a lot actually. But I always get stick at one point.

In that video that's the fastest I can possibly go clean.
Quote by Next_GuitarGod

no. they are telling you that it wasn't shred. It honestly isn't that fast, was a 10 second long lick that ascended, then descended. Basically all it sounded was like you just played the scale. thats boring. Mix it up, play to backing tracks, find out what to play what not to play. just because all of the notes you played are in the G# blues scale doesn't mean they really sound good when you play them all. If you just go up and down, it sounds like an exercise, sure you accentuated a few notes, but try and make it more diverse... maybe go up, play around a lil on those play some triplet pull offs, some bends (which is used a lot in blues), maybe even some tapping if you can incorporate it well. Best thing to do is DON'T USE THE SCALE TO CONFINE YOU! USE IT TO GUIDE YOU! You might impress non-guitarists with the fact that you play at a relatively good speed for how long you've been playing, but guitarists who have been playing guitar for years and have been exposed to a lot of music (like most of the ones on this site) will know exactly what you are doing there.

Also, you said "yah i wrote it" then later you said It may be a scale and just cause i didn't write it doesn't mean its not good.

The best thing to do when learning to play guitar (which is what you are doing and what almost everyone on here is doing) is to accept advice from others, and when they say your playing is not good, ask why and DON'T GET DEFENSIVE about it. The point of them critiquing you and saying its not good is so you can expand your musical tastes and get a better understanding of how to compose and how to play guitar rather than just a penis measuring contest after each insult.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Page 1 of 2