Depends on a bunch of things. There really is no answer since everyone learns in a different way. I'd advise you to try lessons and try books. If you think the books are just as good as lessons then don't waste your money and drop the lessons.

Or, you can just learn everything from Ultimate-guitar.com/lessons =D
Quote by Ze_Metal
Depends on a bunch of things. There really is no answer since everyone learns in a different way. I'd advise you to try lessons and try books. If you think the books are just as good as lessons then don't waste your money and drop the lessons.

Or, you can just learn everything from Ultimate-guitar.com/lessons =D

Ummmm, I wouldn't really rely on UG lessons..........but there are a couple good ones that I've come across.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Well, lessons are good since they can (usually) teach you a little more about technique. Now, everyone is always like "Yeah man, but then you will obtain his style, not your own." That is not true, since you are still learning, you don't have a "style" yet. Books are good since they can show you most of the chords and much of the theory involved with it. The best of the best is to do some lessons, maybe like once or twice a month, and then use the book to further yourself.

A.W
Quote by Vasser
Ummmm, I wouldn't really rely on UG lessons..........but there are a couple good ones that I've come across.

I've learned almost everything I know from these forums and the lessons page.
Once you know what you're doing books and internet tips can help. If you're a total noob its very beneficial to take lessons. An instructor can help you with bad habits and technique advice.

I advise you not to just walk into a music store and ask for lessons. They'll charge for half hour sessions and they'll probably blow. 1/2 lessons aren't long enough. See if you can find a college student or a musician who will give you hour long lessons at a reasonable rate. Its best if you see the same instructor because he/she can track your progress and knows where you're at.

I'm a "learn by doing" person so lessons helped me a lot. I also had an instructor that would teach me stuff I wouldn't have picked up on my own. Most noobs probably don't immediately learn stuff like the blues shuffle and common chord progressions but the right instructor will teach you that stuff.

If you wanted to be a mechanic would you rather learn how to do it on your own or would you rather learn how to do it at mechanics school?