Page 4 of 1027
Quote by slaptasticdave
Well it seems they're offering Kidd 3 years, must be frontloaded for this year, or else it doesn't make much sense. I question if they'll really land Lebron tho.

dude lebron hates cleveland at least until the start of next season, and loves new york, loves money even more, and new york will have plenty to throw at him in 2010.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
^it was able then, but they will have VAULTS at their disposal come the 2010 free agency, and when they sign at least 2 superstars, which they will, nobody will be laughing any more.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
So basically, the Rockets and Lakers just ended up completing the dumbest "trade" ever.

And I put quotes around trade because that's basically what it was, even though it technically wasn't. Ron Artest signed with the Lakers, and Trevor Ariza signed with the Rockets. Both happened on the same day, and both took up each team's MLE.

The reason this was dumb was because all they had to do was have both teams resign their former player (Rockets resign Artest and Lakers resign Ariza) and then trade them for each other. Both players could have gotten payed whatever they wanted, and both teams could have kept their MLE, which means they could sign somebody else during this offseason.

Since that didn't happen, the Lakers are stuck paying Artest $6 million per year for 3 years, and the Rockets are stuck paying Ariza $6.5 million per year for 5 years. Neither team will be able to sign another player this offseason, unless it is a player that played for them last season.

So basically, by neither team talking to the other one, they just screwed each other pretty hard... and this hurts Houston even more because now they don't have the money to find a quick replacement for Yao.
Last edited by AngusIsMyHero at Jul 3, 2009,
Quote by AngusIsMyHero
Since that didn't happen, the Lakers are stuck paying Artest $6 million per year for 3 years, and the Rockets are stuck paying Ariza $6.5 million per year for 5 years. Neither team will be able to sign another player this offseason, unless it is a player that played for them last season.

I don't think it hurts the Lakers. As long as they have enough to sign Odom, they can keep the nucleus of that team together with another legit shot at a title. Artest brings less offense than Ariza, but he has the size and toughness Ariza didn't have. He's a much better on ball defender, where as Trevor is a passing lane kinda guy. Offensively, LA's fine.
LA will be fine with that. Artest is a great player when he's not in trouble.

I haven't really been following this thread so far. What do you guys think of the Magic's trade for Carter. And about Shaq going to the Cavs?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Houston Rockets till I die. I'm from Australia but I watch every NBA game I can. I also play basketball

Edit, to element

The Cav's will be a force for sure. ( off topic, is your user-title any reference to the skating brand?)
a little lost.....
Last edited by Davo Ownz at Jul 3, 2009,
The trade for Vince was terrible. Basically they gave up Courtney Lee, Rafer Alston, and Turkoglu for vince.

The trade for shaq was brilliant, they gave up essentially nothing and got a top tier center.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by element4433
LA will be fine with that. Artest is a great player when he's not in trouble.

I haven't really been following this thread so far. What do you guys think of the Magic's trade for Carter. And about Shaq going to the Cavs?

Shaq to the Cavs will probably help them down the stretch. I can see them beating Orlando next year, not only cause of Shaq, but cause of no Turkoglu as well.
So Turkoglu's going to the Blazers. I for one think Orlando has gotten a lot worse for getting rid of him and Rafer Alston for a ballhog.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
So Turkoglu's going to the Blazers. I for one think Orlando has gotten a lot worse for getting rid of him and Rafer Alston for a ballhog.

Check again, he's going to Toronto.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
Check again, he's going to Toronto.

Douche, he agreed in principle with the Blazers. I'm a bit ashamed to like him.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover

Douche, he agreed in principle with the Blazers. I'm a bit ashamed to like him.

I think he got the deal after the one from Portland. It says he likes the abundance of Turkish people in Canada or something
Quote by slaptasticdave
The trade for Vince was terrible. Basically they gave up Courtney Lee, Rafer Alston, and Turkoglu for vince.

The trade for shaq was brilliant, they gave up essentially nothing and got a top tier center.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
Shaq to the Cavs will probably help them down the stretch. I can see them beating Orlando next year, not only cause of Shaq, but cause of no Turkoglu as well.
Honestly, I don't see Shaq being that much of a factor. I don't think he can play for an entire season and the play offs. The biggest complaint against the Cavs was that they're old and slow at Center, and now they got the oldest and the slowest playing for them. I think they should have gone after Tyson Chandler instead, which is who they were going to try to get if the Shaq trade fell through.

Regarding the Magic trade: I was a bit disappointed that they gave up Lee. He's a young player who has a lot of potential. But they're getting a good player in Carter, who can hopefully make up for the lack of Turkoglu. I think a line up of Howard, Lewis, Peitris, Carter, and Nelson is pretty damn solid. I'm just assuming that it will be Peitris at the Small Forward position.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Honestly, I don't see Shaq being that much of a factor. I don't think he can play for an entire season and the play offs. The biggest complaint against the Cavs was that they're old and slow at Center, and now they got the oldest and the slowest playing for them. I think they should have gone after Tyson Chandler instead, which is who they were going to try to get if the Shaq trade fell through.

Regarding the Magic trade: I was a bit disappointed that they gave up Lee. He's a young player who has a lot of potential. But they're getting a good player in Carter, who can hopefully make up for the lack of Turkoglu. I think a line up of Howard, Lewis, Peitris, Carter, and Nelson is pretty damn solid. I'm just assuming that it will be Peitris at the Small Forward position.

I don't think Carter is as much of a vital playmaker as Turk is. And Lee was one of the most overlooked rookies last year, and why they would rather get an aging scorer rather than keep an extremely young, potential scorer in him is beyond me. I think had he stayed there and developed a few more years, he and Howard could have been a dangerous tandem.

And I had no idea they were going after Chandler. That would have really put them over the edge on either end of the floor.
Last edited by Alexishxc1337 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by Alexishxc1337
I don't think Carter is as much of a vital playmaker as Turk is. And Lee was one of the most overlooked rookies last year, and why they would rather get an aging scorer rather than keep an extremely young, potential scorer in him is beyond me. I think had he stayed there and developed a few more years, he and Howard could have been a dangerous tandem.

And I had no idea they were going after Chandler. That would have really put them over the edge on either end of the floor.
Carter was once "the" player in the NBA. Obviously he's no longer in his prime, but he can still put up big numbers. Plus he'll be surrounded by four great players who can put him in scoring positions, and make plays for themselves.

The main reason they brought Carter in is to replace Turk. I think why they chose Carter over Lee was because they want to win right now. Lee is still developing and Carter is seasoned. With Carter they have a much better chance getting back to the Finals than they would with Lee. All that being said, I really wish they could have kept Lee.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I saw a sentence in an article about the Shaq trade regarding the Cavs interest in Chandler.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Jul 4, 2009,
Good points.

Kinda changing the subject, but does it piss anyone else off that Ricky Rubio is staying in Spain? I mean, Minnesota traded away for that pick, and now they've got nothing to show for it. You could argue they knew what was at stake, but Rubio shouldn't have declared for the draft.
Quote by SilentChorus
Turkoglu traded for Marion and Parker and some other guy.
Discus?
He signed with the Raptors, so I don't think he was traded.

And Alex (I assume that's your name): It does annoy me that a player would enter the draft and then back out of the commitment.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

so who saw artest's hat in his interview two nights ago that read 'so gutta'?
it was pretty great, i love ron.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
Good points.

Kinda changing the subject, but does it piss anyone else off that Ricky Rubio is staying in Spain? I mean, Minnesota traded away for that pick, and now they've got nothing to show for it. You could argue they knew what was at stake, but Rubio shouldn't have declared for the draft.

I don't think it is entirely his fault. Rubio has a $6 Million buyout clause in his contract with his Spanish team, which means somebody (whether it be Rubio or the T-Wolves, etc.) has to pay that amount before Rubio can play for Minnesota. The Timberwolves aren't willing to pay all of it, and Rubio doesn't want to pay it either. So, I'm not really mad at Rubio.

With that said, I think his contract with his Spanish team is up after this season anyways, so if he decides to stay in Spain after this upcoming season, then yeah, I would be extremely pissed off at him.
Quote by AngusIsMyHero
With that said, I think his contract with his Spanish team is up after this season anyways, so if he decides to stay in Spain after this upcoming season, then yeah, I would be extremely pissed off at him.

I think he's staying for two years, which would mean he would miss the subsequent season as well.
Ok I'm just gonna jump in and express my worries with next season (being a Wizards fan, I have a lot)

Coming off a bad season we may be motivated, or we may just still just fold every night like last season. I was really bummed that we got rid of Darius Songaila, he was a quality role player and getting better stats each season. I would've much rather had Stevenson go to Minnesota. Trading our (crap) draft pick was probably not wise... we should have at least traded for some big fellas. All we have now is Brendan Haywood. Javale McGee is an untested rookie and his dominance has not been established yet. And Andray Blatche has and incredibly "un-bigman" game... not saying he's bad (he's OK) he just isn't a "bigman"

Injuries need to go down. We've had ridiculous amounts of injuries - Gil Arenas, Haywood, and Etan Thomas, among others including Caron Butler's steady stream of minor injuries.
With Butler being mentioned... HE NEEDS TO STAY IN DC WITH ANTAWN JAMISON NO MATTER WHAT.

I know most of you don't care about the Wizards but I just wanted to lay out my thoughts concerns. Hopefully next season will be good for all of us (that's actually impossible... so, for most of us. Except Cleveland... Don't like them at all and I'm sad that Shaq went there )
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
A starting 5 of Calderon, Derozan, Turkoglu, Bosh and Bargnani is pretty dam good. If the raps can get themselves a bench, they're gonna surprise alot of people next year
Yep Raptors could be quite a solid team... looking forward to seeing them in action. I have a strong urge to see them crush the Knicks.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
So far, I think the teams that have benefited most this offseason have to be the Lakers and the Spurs. Although Ariza fit the Lakers perfectly, I think Artest is the better overall player and he will provide some immediate defensive toughness and tenacity. The Spurs gained exactly what they needed, another scorer who doesn't have health issues and that will be extremely valuable to the team. Then again, as of right now, they need another big man since Bonner is ****.

I don't really think Cleveland will improve much with Shaq, but he might be the piece that gets them to the finals. Sheed going to Boston is pretty big as well, since he is a solid big man and although he isn't the same Rasheed as a couple years ago, he will provide to be very good if they start him next to Garnett.

The way I see it, all the elite teams got slightly better and the bottom feeders got worse, so i wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of garbage teams next year.
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like the Sahq trade.... here's the thing; LeBron's the best finisher in the world, and most of his game is predicated on getting to the rim... so Cleveland goes out and gets a 330 lb. lane clogger... brilliant. I know they needed size, but honestly, Big Z is a better fit because he's a terrific jump shooter (who happened to go cold in the playoffs)
Fender Jaguar Bass
Crate BT100
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Pi Big Muff
Behringer Bass Flanger

you know you're a bassist when...

you wake in the morning and your bass is in the bed and your girlfriend is on the floor
ha the suns, my favorite team, got robbed. Isnt ben wallace going to retire soon?
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Quote by spacebass45
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like the Sahq trade.... here's the thing; LeBron's the best finisher in the world, and most of his game is predicated on getting to the rim... so Cleveland goes out and gets a 330 lb. lane clogger... brilliant. I know they needed size, but honestly, Big Z is a better fit because he's a terrific jump shooter (who happened to go cold in the playoffs)
You're not the only one.

Raseed Wallace to the Celtics. That time is gunna be ****ing stacked.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
You're not the only one.

Raseed Wallace to the Celtics. That time is gunna be ****ing stacked.

*team

is he gonna play 6th man? Cause I know even on the Blazers he never came off the bench, so I'm curious as to how that would affect him, if at all.
Isn't Gortat going to the Mavs too? They're going to have a pretty good front court with the addition of Marion.

Happy Bass is going to the Magic. It gives them two options: 1) Start him at power forward and Lewis at small or 2) Start Lewis at power and Peitris at Small. Obviously #2 would be more offensive and #1 would be defensive. I think a front court of Bass, Howard, and Lewis would be good against teams like Cleveland and Boston who have two or more great big men.

I hate Varejao with a passion.

Right now I'd say Cleveland/Boston in the Eastern conference finals, and I have played close enough attention the the West coast to guess.

Actually the Magic can keep Gortat if they match the Mavs' offer. If they can keep him, they'll have a phenomenal team next season.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Last edited by element4433 at Jul 11, 2009,
my poor pistons
talk about a fall from grace...
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
As a Spurs fan I'm happy with this offseason. The RJ trade was great since Bowen will probably come back, essentially making it Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto for RJ. I was ready for Thomas to leave anyways, though I will miss Fab. Also, while I wanted Sheed, getting Antonio McDyss will prove to be a big help for a year or so since he can still play. And though its not free agency, I was really happy stealing Blair out of the draft.

Also, it may go unnoticed, but Hairston coming over could have a bigger impact than people think.
i wish the spurs would play a more exciting style of b-ball. theyd be so BEAST!
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker

Quote by PurpleClawz
Quote by element4433
Isn't Gortat going to the Mavs too? They're going to have a pretty good front court with the addition of Marion.

Happy Bass is going to the Magic. It gives them two options: 1) Start him at power forward and Lewis at small or 2) Start Lewis at power and Peitris at Small. Obviously #2 would be more offensive and #1 would be defensive. I think a front court of Bass, Howard, and Lewis would be good against teams like Cleveland and Boston who have two or more great big men.

I hate Varejao with a passion.

Right now I'd say Cleveland/Boston in the Eastern conference finals, and I have played close enough attention the the West coast to guess.

Actually the Magic can keep Gortat if they match the Mavs' offer. If they can keep him, they'll have a phenomenal team next season.

I'm thinking Orlando won't match it. They might have a cluttered front court with Bass, Howard, Pietrus, Lewis, and Ryan Anderson who's put up huge numbers in summer league and had a pretty good year with NJ last year.

And it's tough to say if Cleveland can still have a shot against Orlando. Ideally, Orlando could play Pietrus at 3 and Lewis at 4, and Cleveland would have no answer. They don't have a versatile forward (Aside from James, of course) who can affor to play off the post.