Next summer, I plan on getting a job at the grocery store and saving up for a really nice amp head.

My price is 1000-2000 USD, but if I think it's a good deal one way or another, it can be arranged. (But no more then 300 dollars)

I currently have an Ibanez Toneblaster 150H that is the best solid state I have played. It has punch, great distortion, and an overall great amp!

However, every year or so, I like to swap my amps out, and I've decided to have a go at a a nice Tube head.

I am a fan of Slash, as he is probably my greatest influence, I am really considering a Marshall.

I play 80's blues-drivin-LA hardrock at it's grittiest. I also enjoy Led Zeppelin and AC DC as far as tone and music goes. I do enjoy playing metal, but my Ibanez Toneblaster has got a great metal, so as far as that goes, I don't really think I need a high-gain amp.

Looking into Slash's set up, I've discovered that he uses a combination of different amps. His debut album was a '59 Marshall, so I don't really have any intentions of pursuing that amp. However, he was worked with the JCM/DSL models but the only that is readily available for a reasonable price is the Marshall JCM800 2203 and it's about 200 more then what I want to spend.

I have heard that Slash also used the Vintage Modern amps, which are a fair bit cheaper, and I'd be up for any of the models, seeing as how there all reviewed nicely and have a great price.

All four can be found HERE.

If you think I should get one of those amps, tell me which one and why.

As far as other brands go, I have considered Laney's as they are amazing amps, but I feel that they cater to a more "High Gain Crowd" per se, so it's definitely in the race, but not as high as the Marshalls.

If you think I should get a Laney, please tell me why and which model.

I've also heard good things about Orange. Any one who thinks I should get an Orange Amp tell me why and please post a link to which model.

I am up for ANY AMP in the price range. So don't be afraid to give me an opinion!

If you have any more questions that can help you help me find an amp, please ask right away!

Edit: My concern with the Marshalls are the one channel control/two channels, that kinda concerns me as far as over all shaping.

I spose I could like triple by pass into my Fender for Cleans, Marshall for 80's Dist and Toneblaster for Extreme Gains
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

You might be intrested in the Marshall JVM 410-h (head I have). Some people hate it, I personally love it. It gives an amazing range, fender-esk cleans, way more distortion than anyone ever needs, and everything inbetween (including slash, and I can get pretty much the exact tone off dirty deeds on crunch.)

I suggest trying it out. I love mine.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
You should totally check out Dr.Z amps, boutique quality in your price range.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
The new EVH5150III has had some great reviews. It may be a little much for your prices though. Take a look, maybe you can find one for a little cheaper
Quote by GuitarUltimate?
You might be intrested in the Marshall JVM 410-h (head I have). Some people hate it, I personally love it. It gives an amazing range, fender-esk cleans, way more distortion than anyone ever needs, and everything inbetween (including slash, and I can get pretty much the exact tone off dirty deeds on crunch.)

I suggest trying it out. I love mine.

I have heard that the JVM's offer more overall tone, but in terms of there specific sound, it lacks what certain Marshall's have.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by FMNStratGuy
You should totally check out Dr.Z amps, boutique quality in your price range.

Maybe, but I'm not sure where to actually try it out. I've never heard of them before, and I can't say I know of anyone that plays them.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by thatfootballkid
The new EVH5150III has had some great reviews. It may be a little much for your prices though. Take a look, maybe you can find one for a little cheaper

I have heard great things from these, but like I said, EVH seems to cater to a more high gain amplifier than what I'm looking for. Call me a tonedeaf noob, but I really like my Toneblaster for High Gain. And I'm looking for more Blues/Rock/LA Post Punk/GNR-esque style. Not so much a Pre Shred/VH sound. If you know what I mean
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Blackstar Artisan 100. These things are really, really epic for Classic sounds.

Also, maybe a Ceriatone Plexi clone.

EDIT: I just saw something that has forced my hand at this following statement

hahem...

ZOMG1!!!!111!!!! I dun bin sigged!!!
Laney vh100 would be good, with a zvex wooly mammoth fuzz and maxon od808 and ehx holy grail, you dont need anything else. Stick to class A amps its more the 80s sound and classic rock sound.
Is Marshall not Class A tube?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

If you don't mind hitting up the used market you can score an H&K Duotone for ~$1400. Very versatile amp.

link for sound clip
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8y6X1iV5kic
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I have heard that the JVM's offer more overall tone, but in terms of there specific sound, it lacks what certain Marshall's have.

Well, that's true to an extent, for example, the models that Slash used would have a more commonly accepted marshall voice, but I'm assuming you're going for a distinct tone rather than modelling Slash's or anyone else. If when you say it lacks, you mean it in that 'modelling' sense, then yeah, you're probably right. (it does have some fine tone though)

Just trying to clarify, still think you should try it out
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
When I played the JVM I thought it was a joke. The high-gain channel was pretty crappy imo, cleans were alright and the in-between channel was decent, but there wasn't really any classic Marshall character to it.

I say, go for a used JCM800, you can pick them up fairly cheap, or a Laney GH50L which is an awesome amp, like an 800 on steroids, but only one channel (as are the more sought after 800s).

If you need cleans though, I'd look at the Laney VH100R as suggested earlier, or just buy a clean amp and a/b them. You might also want to check out a Krank Chadwick, I've never played one, but I hear good things and they can be found pretty cheap used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Don't buy a Marshall from Musiciansfriend.com

Why pay over $2000 for a reissue of an amp that would cost you half that for the real amp?

You can get a really nice JCM800 for less than $1000, and one that was actually made in the 80's.

Like stated above, the JVM heads really aren't that great. I don't know why everyone thinks they are.

I vote that you go for a JCM900 of some sort. Easy to find under $800.

Would I be completely wrong in suggesting a Mesa Boogie? Maybe a Mark IV? Or even...
A Rectifier?
[dramatic dun dun duhh]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!