Yea, I know everyone played one in the fourth grade or whatever. But I think when they are played correctly they sound beautiful, and I always wished I had kept playing it. I think the fact that the cheap plastic ones have been used so often in school music programs have completely discredited it as a valid instrument. So UG, anyone here play the Recorder? Got any tips for me? Want to flame me for playing a phallic shaped instrument that has to be played orally? This is the thread for it.

Good Recorder Playing
Gonna follow in Dwight Shrute's footsteps?
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by TOcheesehead

Bon Scott too
get an alto or a tenor, they are easier to play in tune and dont sound as piercing as a soprano. also, go for a wood one, plastic will always sound worse than wood
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Quote by djsteiner
get an alto or a tenor, they are easier to play in tune and dont sound as piercing as a soprano. also, go for a wood one, plastic will always sound worse than wood

I definitely knew about the wood as opposed to the plastic, that is a given. Looking at Wikipedia I'm thinking about going for a tenor.
dude i got one too but never really got around to playing with it much. they are pretty sweet but the hard part is whenever i'm thinking about learning to play i'm like "well i could just play guitar..."
Quote by JessicaGonzo
i have two of them they sound pretty killer.

Does the "shrillness" go away with time and practice? Alot of people I've heard play sound like they are killing a cat. Is it the quality of the material or is it proper technique or what? I want that nice, smooth, airy feel.
Quote by Free Time
horns are cool. I wish I could play more than just one instrument

I play a couple different ones, but the only wind instrument I play is the ol harp so I was looking to branch out into something a little different.
Quote by TOcheesehead

That episode was on again today!!!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by rock_and_blues
...what am I missing here.

Dwight Shrute is a character (the best one) in the show The Office. Among his interests are farming, killing vampires, and playing the recording.

The show isn't as stupid as I just made it sound
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by rock_and_blues
I play a couple different ones, but the only wind instrument I play is the ol harp so I was looking to branch out into something a little different.

Since when is the harp a wind instrument? Or am I missing something?
Quote by mrcrono
hook recorder up to mic
hook mic up to distortion
?????
profit

I've tried doing this with some harp playing. You can get some interesting results to say the least.
Awesome.

Best of luck to you. I may dig up my recorder and do the same. Why not?
I simply cannot take this god-awful place anymore. Goodbye to all the good people here. The rest can fuck off.

Quote by bigwillie
Awesome.

Best of luck to you. I may dig up my recorder and do the same. Why not?

Thanks. I checked out that guy's video earlier, and the suit kills me every time.
What's a good place to buy recorders? Or any other type of woodwinds? Sites like Musicians Friend, don't focus much on these type of instruments, and have rather poor selection. And strangely enough, Googleing "Buy Woodwinds" didn't give any decent results either.