for an absolute beginner, yes. if you intend on going any farther than just "a beginner" then this guitar will be a waste of money.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
honestly.......if i were you........unless you are totally against the idea......i would start with an electric guitar

much easier to learn IMO
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Electric is easier to learn on, but if you learn on an acoustic, you'll have the fingerstrength to move to any other guitar to begin with. So that's the benefit on learning on acoustic first.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
If you add just $100-150 to your budget and look hard enough you can actually get a great guitar.

For example, I got this last year: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG720S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518275

Great sound, very smooth comfortable neck, low action. Not the best guitar, but I love it. Good for beginner to intermediate.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
This is a horrible guitar. I bought it from Musicians Friend for my wife to get her started on playing guitar and it is utter crap. The guitar looks nice and sounds ok but the action is terrible and the tuners as well. I have been playing for over 30 years and after about 20 mins of trying to wrestle chords out of it I decided to send the thing back to MF.

I agree with Slovak_Ghost get an electric first but do not get the Jasimine, anything else but that.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
cool guys, thanx for your opinions
i wont buy
UG Radio

Quote by ddrocksv3_4xpk
Thine Behold one rollin?
Quote by _T_H_R_I_C_E_
Lo, and the other lads be hating,
gallyvanting around,
attempting to catch me cycling in an unsavory fashion.

XBL: Panzyz

PSN: Dasan104
yeah i would recommend adding another $100 to your budget or looking for something used. check out the best guitars under $300 thread stickied at the top of the forum for a great starting point.
Quote by Slovak_Ghost
honestly.......if i were you........unless you are totally against the idea......i would start with an electric guitar

much easier to learn IMO

You! Get out of the acoustic forum. Now. I've seen more people say "get an electric" in the past few days than I have in the entire time I've been a part of this forum. THIS IS AN ACOUSTIC FORUM, IF YOU ARE GOING TO RECOMMEND ELECTRIC GET OUT. Acoustic is FINE to learn on, don't listen to any of these fricken electric headed people. Learn on an acoustic, I guarantee you can handle it. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something. First, don't get a fender. Their acoustics are sub-par to say the least. Second, look at these 2 instead, while I haven't played them, they will be better than what you are looking at, and in a similar price range.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-AJ1-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518681
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-DR100-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=518569

If you're looking for uber-cheap, you won't get a solid top unless you find a good deal on craigslist or a pawn shop. Pawn shops can actually be great places to get good deals on guitars, I recommend checking them out. Honestly, if you can avoid buying a guitar without playing it, you need to. Always try and play what you're buying. If you don't feel confident in your skill level, ask an associate or take someone with you to give it a go.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
check out farida, dont know if you can get them in america but their cheapest guitar is £130 and it's just as good as my teachers £500 LAG
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by shredder.cheese
This is a horrible guitar. I bought it from Musicians Friend for my wife to get her started on playing guitar and it is utter crap. The guitar looks nice and sounds ok but the action is terrible and the tuners as well. I have been playing for over 30 years and after about 20 mins of trying to wrestle chords out of it I decided to send the thing back to MF.

I agree with Slovak_Ghost get an electric first but do not get the Jasimine, anything else but that.

Quote by shredder.cheese
I purchased this guitar for my wife to teach her how to play and thought that even a lower end guitar designed by Takamine would at least be playable out of the box - well I was wrong. The guitar is beautiful and has a fairly big sound with just the stock strings but the action is horrid...I MEAN HORRID! I have been playing guitar for 31 years and this is like a guitar bought from Tijuana. If you buy this guitar you will probably need to have it tweaked and the saddle adjusted to make it playable.

I reccomend Tanglewood
I brought an Epiphone AJ-100, plays a treat, not bad, and budget too.
I'm a beginner and I have a Yamaha acoustic/electric APX-500. The tone is great, the action is low, and Yamaha makes great instruments. My trumpet is a Yamaha and we had a Yami piano that also sounded great. I'd highly recommend it.