I have never built a guitar before, and i don’t know the first thing about it, im going to be a senior in high school, when i get to college should i take a wood shop class or what?? what im asking I guess is what are the first steps i should take in learning the steps, etc. This has always been a dream of mine, but i have absolutely no idea how and where to start, so tips and suggestions would be great. i don’t care the body style, and particulars, just basic steps
I'd suggest you get
Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock.

Even if you don't plan on building one soon, it's a great read.
im just about wrapping up my first build
im a senior in highschool as well
do the research. make sure you know EVERYTHING there is to know about every particular of a guitar, because if you come to a point where youre unsure of what to do, it will bring the build to a standstill. guesswork really isnt acceptable. i wasnt 150% sure about the neck pocket on my build. now its slightly crooked, which will affect the sound and playability.

a few books could help
also, troll www.tpdri.com
lots of knowledgeable guys on there. the forum is specifically for building Teles, but the same rules pretty much apply the-world-over
also, you'll need rudimentary woodworking skills to start the build
a shop class would definitely help you along
youll probably need to know how to use:
powerdrill
router
bandsaw/jigsaw/sabresaw

youll need a TON of patience, good equiptment, oh...and did i mention PATIENCE
honestly, builds can take a really long time

also, in order to do the wiring, youll need to know your way around a soldering iron
you can circumvent this by building a strat style guitar. fully loaded scratchplates, with pickups, pots, switch, and input installed are readily available, but not always of the highest quality

honestly, its a lot of fun, but its also quite and investment of time and money
best of luck
~b
Its not really feasible if you dont have access to alot of tools, you can do it with a minimum of chisels drills saws and sandpaper, but I wouldnt recommend it.

If you can do it at school with bandsaws, routers power sanders etc then it will be alot easier.

and yeah it is expensive and frustrating, but seeing it come together as something that MIGHT actually work is great

You need to plan the sh!t out of your build, know exactly what wood your using, hardware, electronics, the dimensions of everything, the stages of the build, the tools you need for each stage and make sure everything works as a guitar on paper before you even start building it.

If you have the patience for it, I thoroughly recommend it!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ I definitely agree. If you don't have a rough plan, you'll have a rough project. You'll make changes as you go along but it's good to at least know what the damn thing is going to look like. As far as guitar on paper, the one i'm working on now i did a CAD layout of the basic parts but I still have to finalize things like headstock design and such... other things i was unsure about were neck angle (in this case i'm not doing any and just recessing everything) and fretboard wood... like i said, subtle changes and stumbles but other than that, it's all been planned out from the beginning.

Oh, and total investment in my wood shop is probably over $2000 USD... The more tools I buy the more tools i want to buy
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
You say "when you get to college"

Well, what are you planning to study in college?

You could go to Musicians Institute in Hollywood and attend the Guitar Craft Academy. I'm a current student, and its pretty amazing what I've learned there. The course consists of learning everything you need to know about repairs and such, as well as building an entire guitar from scratch... even winding your own pickups and painting it. They teach you everything you need to know.

I'm attending night school, 5 nights a week, 4 hours a night. It's 6 months long. There's a day class as well.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
^ i learned all of that from google and melvin hiscock's book... plus i have the guitar player repair guide from dale erlewine and a book on pickup design

i even built my own pickup winder from my own design ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
www.projectguitar.com

is where I learned the majority of the stuff before reasing Melvyns book, the PG forums are a gold mine of info as well, search before posting though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ +1 that was my favorite site. the neck building lesson was very informative as were the majority of the tutorials and such. also, buildyourguitar.com