me and my new band are working on a song. we have most of it done. today, we were trying to figure out a breakdown and i came up with this one riff. well, the singer in the band was like "oh i have a song where i do something like that" and he starts to play it. and it sucks. the riff is stupid. just because my new riff and his old one are in the same key, he thinks it's ok to use his. and than, he says he wants to tack on the rest of the song too. and i'm wtf? he keeps insisting and i'm getting extremely pissed off. and everyone in the band can see it. i mean, my face, was red. i was heated. i wanted to say, "hey, fag, you're the singer, i'm the lead guitarist, leave the guitar playing to me YOU MOTHER ****ER!!!"

so what do i do?

do i lay down the law and say there's no way in hell i'm playing that but the problem with that is the rest of the song is bad ass and i don't want to throw it away cuz the singer thinks he's an amazing guitar player, which he's far from.

do i completely disregard the song's existence?

do i quit jamming with the dudes? because i'm thinking this might be a sign of more things to come.

or what? cuz i'm so pissed off at the butchering of my work.
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
if hes bossing you around yea just kill him but if hes trying to just give input n thinks it might go well dont just disregard it
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Take his ideas, and build on them, making them better.
That way its still "his riff", but you still A- Make the shots B- Make good music.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
if he is that bad a player then the rest of the band will realise. Have a band vote and he will be shot down.... Alternatively... be honest. A band is a team. u have to work together. Tell him yo dont like it and work around it dont however just disregard it sayin something like "dude that sh1t". That raises unecessary tensions.
tell him what you wanted to tell him, but more polite so it won't be that bad.
Quote by jimmy_neutron
if he is that bad a player then the rest of the band will realise. Have a band vote and he will be shot down.... Alternatively... be honest. A band is a team. u have to work together. Tell him yo dont like it and work around it dont however just disregard it sayin something like "dude that sh1t". That raises unecessary tensions.

i tried that

it's a dead tie cuz there's only 4 members

me the lead, wayne the rhthym, stephen the singer, and brett the drummer

me and wayne said no

stephen and brett said yes BUT it's only because they wrote that song before they met me no matter how hard they deny it
anger managment problems?

^
that tells you something right theres a drummer and a singer who thinks it sounds better compared to the two guitarist

hmm tell him to **** off
Last edited by deckerbastard69 at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by deckerbastard69
anger managment problems?

i hate having to repeat myself

especially having to repeat it for an hour and a half
Quote by GuitaPlaya
Why don't you have a vote with your band? Solving things democratically always works best.

also a good way to piss someone off. You won't like it when everyone is against you.
ok first things first, if you dont like his riff, you HAVE to tell him, trust me, it just makes things worse down the road if you dont. the second thing is, everybody in the band has an assigned "duty" per se, tell him to simply "stick to his day job". there is a reason you are a guitarist and he is the vocalist, if he doesnt like the way you make stuff up then he can either try to work WITH you on a riff, not FOR you, or he can leave. its not the entire band's responsibility to make sure that its up to par, if its a poopy riff, the fans/audience will only see YOU, the guitarist playing that poopy riff, regardless of who created it. all in all, just tell him to chill the fux down and do what he does best, if they dont like it, you dont need to be in a band that doesnt let you do what you are there for, play guitar the way YOU want to.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Why not just say 'Hey, why don't we do your song in it's original state?' that way, they can't exactly add bits of it to your song.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Why not just say 'Hey, why don't we do your song in it's original state?' that way, they can't exactly add bits of it to your song.

yea that might work

if his song didn't suck a fat one
Quote by stackedxactor
yea that might work

if his song didn't suck a fat one

A band comprises of more than one member, we all have to make sacrifices and compromises in order to get along, besides, it's just one piddly little song, would it really hurt that much? And if it sucks that bad, it'll soon become apparent at gigs anyhow and will probably be dropped later giving the other two guys more of an idea of what is acceptable for your band.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 2, 2008,
If its part of a different song, it wasnt written with the song youre making now in mind. Your riff was. I think thats pretty simple, make the one thats MEANT to be in your current song the one you use, make a different song off of the **** riff (which honestly cant be that terrible if half your band likes it.)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
A band comprises of more than one member, we all have to make sacrifices and compromises in order to get along, besides, it's just one piddly little song, would it really hurt that much? And if it sucks that bad, it'll soon become apparent at gigs anyhow and will probably be dropped later giving the other two guys more of an idea of what is acceptable for your band.

i agree with you 100%

but

i don't tell him what to sing

so where does he get off telling me what to play?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

i agree...

but one piddly little song??

if led zeppelin treated stairway to heaven like that then...who knows how the world would be now...

treat every song as if its your only song and they should all turn out great...
OK ive been in this sit. a few times im gonna tell u what i would do... finish ur song the way u want it and agree to play his song seperately... that way u have one more song, u get to play his song the way U want it and he doesn't destroy ur masterpiece, tell him this song is important to u and its best to play it as is and to avoid complications...
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
OK ive been in this sit. a few times im gonna tell u what i would do... finish ur song the way u want it and agree to play his song seperately... that way u have one more song, u get to play his song the way U want it and he doesn't destroy ur masterpiece, tell him this song is important to u and its best to play it as is and to avoid complications...

win win!

your a pro i can tell
Quote by stackedxactor
i agree with you 100%

but

i don't tell him what to sing

so where does he get off telling me what to play?

Well there's your problem, start putting forward some input and make some suggestions for what other members of your band, including your singer, are doing. You should all be able to be open enough with each other to make suggestions and respect each other's opinions, even if you don't necessarily agree with them.
Be a team player.

Quote by amazing FretMan
i agree...

but one piddly little song??

if led zeppelin treated stairway to heaven like that then...who knows how the world would be now...

treat every song as if its your only song and they should all turn out great...

I was exaggerating to make a point, but even Led Zeppelin wrote the odd throwaway song here and there.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 3, 2008,