Page 1 of 2
Are there any rules, techniques or suggestions on playing death metal for the bassist? I mean to say is it just more then copying the ryhthm guitarist and playing 32nd notes or are is there alot of special skills that you need to know(and hopefully not be drowned out in the mix)? Thanks for the help.
Play what sounds good and fits the song. I was under the impression that most death or tech-death (I lose track of the sub genres) bassists just follow the lead melody.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Nothing is ever limited to one genre. I took flamenco lessons for a year. And its given me a whole new perspective on playing metal. Add some distortion on that and its ****ing brutal!
What you need to do is listen to Atheist's Unquestionable Presence. PURE BASS PWNAGE
Quote by mattj2192
What you need to do is listen to Atheist's Unquestionable Presence. PURE BASS PWNAGE

Yes Atheist is awesome. I am listening to alot of death metal and it seems incrediblely hard to play that fast on a bass. I like guys like Steve Digorgio, Glenn Benton and Vincent from Morbid Angel.
If you wanna play fast just keep praticing. Man i remember every week i would go to the music store 4 a few hours and just play the open E with three fingers(i thought it would be SO COOL) like in a month i could do Slayer Stuff man. Its just practice
Delerium, you're right on. Most death metal bassists are extremely accomplished in the fretting department. Even their most technical songs sound clean live due to their constant practice and dedication. As for EQing, I suggest a ****load of "mids" to both give a growly tone and help to cut through the heavy distortion. When it comes to writing, chromatics are your friend (in brutal death styles); anything to make it sound evil. When it comes to tech death, know your modes and write using some diminished scales and even some augmented scales too. Just try different things and see what suits you best.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
practice chromatic exercises up and down the fretboard, then do the same thing using hammer ons and pull offs with one picked note per string. instead of practicing and high tempos, practice and a moderate pace but focus on your left fingers striking the fretboard as quickly and accurately as possible. thats helped a lot for me to increase the speed of my left hand and strengthen my fingers.

as far as style goes, just experiment and stay in key. you could play variations of the melody or for true ownage play a completley different melody that fits to add some polyphonic flair. outline the chords of whats being played in the guitars, which is mainly gonna be the root, third and fifth (throw in some octaves too). on the less complex and slower passages of the songs where the guitars arn't doing much is where the bass shines imo, so be sure to take advantage of those and write some killer riffs there. good luck!
My suggestions-

Check out Atheist, Death, Cryptopsy, etc, but also move onto tech bands and just listen or try and analyze what they play, such as Necrophagist, or Odious Mortem.

Practice your speed, but don't just sit there with one note. Play scales, or something. Oh, and definitely get a three finger technique down, whether it's galloping or the DiGorgio method.

Oh, and just know: You don't necessarily need distortion. If you decide to use it, don't go overboard. Mix it in with your dry signal and get a growl, not a fart.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But you don't need to play fast to be heavy.

This.

Sean Malone plays for Cynic and Gordian Knot, he doesn't play too fast, but his bass lines are difficult because he follows a general pulse and stretches all over the fretboard.

Again, metal is a cesspool of genres and influences, don't be afraid to mix anything.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by mattj2192
What you need to do is listen to Atheist's Unquestionable Presence, Atheist's Piece of Time, and Cynics discography. PURE BASS PWNAGE

Fixed
Tony Choy and Sean Malone are amazing. Listen to some jazz as well.
Quote by MustangMan311
My suggestions-

Check out Atheist, Death, Cryptopsy, etc, but also move onto tech bands and just listen or try and analyze what they play, such as Necrophagist, or Odious Mortem.

Practice your speed, but don't just sit there with one note. Play scales, or something. Oh, and definitely get a three finger technique down, whether it's galloping or the DiGorgio method.

Oh, and just know: You don't necessarily need distortion. If you decide to use it, don't go overboard. Mix it in with your dry signal and get a growl, not a fart.

I was planning to play through a sansamp pretty much because I thought most death bassists get the low end growl sound that way?

Oh and can I assume that I would be better off playing my 5 string for this type of music?
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Jul 2, 2008,
You do not have to play a 5 string, though when the guitars are playing so low, many metal bassists choose the 5 string to get even lower to complement that guitar growl.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It is hard to play fast, yes. It takes a lot of practice. But you don't need to play fast to be heavy.

+1

A lot of times so of the heaviest riffs are slow and crushing. This is where a bassist is key in Metal because it supplies most of the crushage there....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I was planning to play through a sansamp pretty much because I thought most death bassists get the low end growl sound that way?

Oh and can I assume that I would be better off playing my 5 string for this type of music?

You don't need a five string. A lot of Death's stuff is very much playable on a 4 string, for example.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It is hard to play fast, yes. It takes a lot of practice. But you don't need to play fast to be heavy.

Being able to play fluidly at largely varying Tempos is pretty much essential to be successful as a Bassist in this type of Music.

Also, the Heaviest Music is (practically) never insanely fast.... Brutal stuff can be fast, but Heavy is all about Groove. And as you all know, Bass is the ultimate weapon in the ways of the Groove

I strongly suggest , Pizza The Hut, that you listen to some Old-School Death Metal before getting to into the newer Tech Death stuff. Because it will help lay down the foundations of what you need to know and need to listen out for.

Some examples would be Autopsy (especially the "Severed Survival" album, which has Steve DiGiorgio on Bass), and Death (especially the "Individual Thought Patterns" album). You can go from there, but those will give you some idea of the Death Metal Groove and whatnot.

Also some other Metal to look into is "Technical Metal" such as Spastic Ink, Watchtower, and Blotted Science. Not inherit Death Metal bands, but their Musicians use techniques/style/sounds largely found in DM.
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Being able to play fluidly at largely varying Tempos is pretty much essential to be successful as a Bassist in this type of Music.

Also, the Heaviest Music is (practically) never insanely fast.... Brutal stuff can be fast, but Heavy is all about Groove. And as you all know, Bass is the ultimate weapon in the ways of the Groove

I strongly suggest , Pizza The Hut, that you listen to some Old-School Death Metal before getting to into the newer Tech Death stuff. Because it will help lay down the foundations of what you need to know and need to listen out for.

Some examples would be Autopsy (especially the "Severed Survival" album, which has Steve DiGiorgio on Bass), and Death (especially the "Individual Thought Patterns" album). You can go from there, but those will give you some idea of the Death Metal Groove and whatnot.

Also some other Metal to look into is "Technical Metal" such as Spastic Ink, Watchtower, and Blotted Science. Not inherit Death Metal bands, but their Musicians use techniques/style/sounds largely found in DM.

Just wanna put it out there that the bassist for Blotted Science is also the bassist for Cannibal Corpse.
Listen to Necrophagist. I just learned the intro to Only Ash Remains... took me a day.

Stephan Fimmers is quite amazing.
Quote by ele1122
Listen to Necrophagist. I just learned the intro to Only Ash Remains... took me a day.

Stephan Fimmers is quite amazing.

Hard as I try. I can't get into it.. None of it makes sense to me. And I listen to some prety out there stuff.... I just don't find it fun to listen to.

Anyways. I'ma compound listening to "Death" Chuck Schuldiner was a genious and made some very varying music that'll give you a good start in the death metal depot
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
listen to:

Cynic
Opeth (specially on the Morningrise album )
Death ( Individual Though Patterns and Human albums )
Atheist

and a tip you don´t need to play fast to be heavy
Do some crazy double thumbing slap **** :P that would be sick.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by AmpleSteak
Do some crazy double thumbing slap **** :P that would be sick.

Double thumbing is for black people.
And we all know black people don't play metal. except for that guy that was in Roadrunner United
/sarcasm

Double thumbing doesn't working in metal. IMO
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
And we all know black people don't play metal. except for that guy that was in Roadrunner United
/sarcasm

It could if you did it probably. Music really doesn't have boundries.
Quote by ele1122
It could if you did it probably. Music really doesn't have boundries.

Neither does my dick

Srsly though MAYBE it could soud good. I've just never heard a good use of slapping/popping in metal.... ever
I mean Primus gets pretty heavy (meh?) but it's not metal
Quote by Banjocal
Quote by King Of Suede
Neither does my dick

Srsly though MAYBE it could soud good. I've just never heard a good use of slapping/popping in metal.... ever
I mean Primus gets pretty heavy (meh?) but it's not metal

Depending on how far you want to spread the metal genre, Mudvayne conatins fantastic use of slap.
Redefine heavy with popping and slapping incorporated into it. I can hear a nice Funk-esque slap line (but with more dissonance and Minor stuff) and a nice harmony guitar part over it right now...It would be different but kind of cool....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Redefine heavy with popping and slapping incorporated into it. I can hear a nice Funk-esque slap line (but with more dissonance and Minor stuff) and a nice harmony guitar part over it right now...It would be different but kind of cool....

If you think it's so cool. Why don't you marry it?
But srsly... DO IT. I WANNA HEAR IT. NOOOWWW
Quote by Banjocal
I can't confirm this, but I could have sworn I heard some slapping in an Opeth song. Can't be sure though, but their various bassists over the years have all been quite good.
Quote by King Of Suede
/sarcasm

Ever hear of a little band called Suffocation?
Quote by King Of Suede
If you think it's so cool. Why don't you marry it?
But srsly... DO IT. I WANNA HEAR IT. NOOOWWW

I can barely pop or slap, let alone do a Funk Metal crossover....Maybe in a few years.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Too bad you can't hear him
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
+1

A lot of times so of the heaviest riffs are slow and crushing. This is where a bassist is key in Metal because it supplies most of the crushage there....

Walk by pantera anyone?! slow, powerful, etc

anyway, i use a pick for my band and i just like to mix **** up, i play rythym to the guitar and the drums, it depends on the section
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by King Of Suede
/sarcasm

OI Suffocation much?

aand theres a half black guy in an australian metal band double dragon

aaand though metalcore howard jones is half black also
I am me. Live with it.
Page 1 of 2