What are some good blues chords in the key of E? Also, good progressions, to solo over with those chords. And I mean actual chords not the whole this thing:

A-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4
E-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
and the solos that would fit over that are e ionian, a lydian, b mixolydian, and e pentatonic, as well as the e blues scale right?
^not really. Alot of blues guys would play minor pentatonics over major chords, with an added b5 ofcourse.
Quote by ouchies
lol 1 4 5 blues progression, in E: E7 and A7 and B7
+1

Also research 12 bar blues. Heres the formula

I  I  I  I
IV IV I  I
V  IV I  I
And some people sub in V chords and IV chord whenever they feel it sounds good. Also, alot of guys would use only dominant seven chords.
Nah, E minor pentatonic and EMajor pentatonic over all of it. E mixo and Bb lydian dominant over E, A major or minor pentatonic over A, B major or minor penatonic or B Phrygian dominant over B.

Thats probably the weirdest I would get over it. Id throw in some diminished substitutions over it too.

The easiest way to be kinda "out" is to play the E minor blues scale and rest on chord tones outside of the scale. So like C# over A, etc.
E minor AND major pentatonic? HEH?

And why the E minor blues scale over the key of E major?! OMG MUSIC THEORY!!!11!
alright yea in case you didnt notice, I'm a super n00b, so I can get the little tab thingies for those chords...
Quote by mattj2192
What are some good blues chords in the key of E? Also, good progressions, to solo over with those chords. And I mean actual chords not the whole this thing:

A-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4
E-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

12 bar blues is the most common and almost all blues is based on the I-IV-V-I type progression. They also use a lot of dom7 chords. (E7 - A7 - B7 - E7) It still blows my mind to think of how many different and songs can be done based on the same progression with the same 3 chords.

Here are two standard 12 Bar Blues Progression
| E | E | E | E |
| A | A | E | E |
| B | A | E | B |

| E | A | E | E |
| A | A | E | E |
| B | B | E | E |

And an 8 bar blues progression
| E | B | E | A |
| E | B | E A | E B |

E minor based blues chord progressions might use Em Am B7 Em or Em A7 B7 Em.

For soloing over E progresssions as in the examples above try an Emaj scale with or without a b7 (E Mixolydian).

Also try some 3 note chromatic runs which can sound great especially when resolving to the 1st or 5th

Or of course the pentatonic scales sound great - major pentatonic over major progression and minor pentatonic over minor progression
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Jul 2, 2008,
For a _7 chord take the _ major scale and take the 1 3 5 b7 notes.

So for E7, look at the E major scale - E F# G# A B C# D#
These correspond to 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So 1 3 5 is E G# B. For the b7 take the 7 (D#) and flatten it (D)

And then you have E7 - 1 3 5 b7 - E G# B D
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jul 2, 2008,
| E | E | E | E | | E | A | E | E |
| A | A | E | E | | A | A | E | E |
| B | A | E | B | | B | B | E | E |

How is that read....
is it E E E E E A E E A A E E A A E E B A E B B B E E

or is it something else?

EDIT: NVM i just reread the post
That's actually two different things (see the double lines)

One is E E E E A A E E B A E B

the second is E A E E A A E E B B E E
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
^like he said. I had about fifty spaces between the two I didn't realise it would put them right next to each other. I have edited the post to reflect the different ideas but it's like Prime said.
Si