Eh. It's overpriced, and you could do with a bigger upgrade than that from the Yamaha, IMO. You might look into Alvarez, Ibanez, Washburns. But try one out, and if you like it, get it.
i think you can do much, much better for the price. for $700 you can find several options from reputable manufacturers that are made of real, solid wood. that guitar has a solid top but the back and sides aren't even wood at all.
Quote by jimtaka
i think you can do much, much better for the price. for $700 you can find several options from reputable manufacturers that are made of real, solid wood. that guitar has a solid top but the back and sides aren't even wood at all.
\

so, one should really not consider guitars that aren't all solid wood? in that price range anyways.
so...would this be all wood? cause the sides are maple?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Takamine-EG523SC-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516302-i1148960.gc
Takamine EG523SC Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

* Solid spruce soundboard
* Flamed maple back and sides

or this

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-AEF37E-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-512481-i1147785.gc
Ibanez AEF37E Cutaway Acoustic-Electric Guitar Features:

* Quilted maple top, back, and sides
that first one you posted above has a solid top and laminated maple back and sides... so yes it is made of real wood. although the back and sides are laminated wood, at least they are wood. the martin x series guitars aren't made out of anything even close to wood.

the second guitar you posted (ibanez) is all laminated wood. solid wood is generally thought to be much better.

you definitely want a solid top, if not solid back and sides also. i wouldn't say that it is silly to look at guitars in this price range that aren't all solid wood. i would say that it is silly to look at guitars in this price range that don't have at least a solid to (i.e. that ibanez). the takamine you posted above is an excellent acoustic-electric option. i have played several of those and own the 12 string version. great guitars.
Quote by jimtaka
that first one you posted above has a solid top and laminated maple back and sides... so yes it is made of real wood. although the back and sides are laminated wood, at least they are wood. the martin x series guitars aren't made out of anything even close to wood.

the second guitar you posted (ibanez) is all laminated wood. solid wood is generally thought to be much better.

you definitely want a solid top, if not solid back and sides also. i wouldn't say that it is silly to look at guitars in this price range that aren't all solid wood. i would say that it is silly to look at guitars in this price range that don't have at least a solid to (i.e. that ibanez). the takamine you posted above is an excellent acoustic-electric option. i have played several of those and own the 12 string version. great guitars.

thanks a lot for the help.