One of my main problems when recording is the fact that I have monster clipping. I'm using Ableton Live 7, I'm running two microphones (Sennheiser 609 Silver dynamic and AKG Perception 120 condenser) through a PreSonus Firebox.

Basically my tracks are too quiet, but when I turn my gains up on the Firebox I get huge clipping when recording. I try turning those down and just turning my amp up, but no matter what when I get to the volume I like, it clips big time.

I never even touch the faders in Ableton because they just make things go crazy, and clipping is through the roof =/.

Not to mention when I add in midi drums and midi bass to the mix, things just go insane. My guitars sound so tinny and they static up badly. And after all of that, I still feel that it's too quiet.

What do you guys recommend I do to increase my volume but reduce clipping as much as possible? I really don't feel that it's a problem with my hardware, because my mics are both pretty decent and I've seen people get great results out of both.

Thanks for the help.
well you don't need to record at very high levels, leaving some room for transients and dynamics is always a good idea.

i usually record everything around the -3db mark, mix it up as i need (only taking volume away.. never boosting channels to make it loud) and then i boost the volume after i have a good mix. very light compression and hard limiting make it so the volume jumps aren't too crazy and gives it a bit of punch at the same time.

so if you're getting crazy amounts of clipping, then just record quieter, and then raise the volume after your tracks are laid down.

(I'll also say tho, you don't want them too quiet that you can end up hearing background noise either..)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
First, set up your amp to nice loud volume that you feel comfortable recording with, then mic it up and make sure the input level is not clipping going into the firepod, thats when the red light next to the level dial flashes red. Have it just below the 'red light' level. You shouldn't have any clipping on the recorded track if you do that. Then when your engineering the guitar tracks, use panning and EQ to seperate the guitars from the other intruments. To get the guitars to sound loud and prominant, use compression and experiment with presets to get what you need.

Finally when mixing make sure that the master output levels don't exceed 0db, aim for the loudest part of the song to be at -0.5db.

Unless your mastering the tracks that shoud get it as loud as it can be. MAstering will make it louder and bigger but requires more work.

If you need more info just ask willwallner@hotmail.co.uk

cheers Will