Is there a Best book out there and DVD for learning on my own. I want to take classes but don't have time right and want to learn on my own so is there a really great book to learn from and dvd.
depends what style you're interested in learning
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
Quote by megadeth rule
depends what style you're interested in learning

Negative

I highly recommend getting some proper instruction. If you're still in High School get involved with the music program. Most likely, they'll hook you up for free
I have a acoustic electric want to learn Nirvana, Alice In Chains lighters stuff like jar of flies, some janes addiction, The Shins, Netural Milk Hotel. A lot of the early grunge stuff like candle box, radio head, etc...
then just learn to read music
Quote by Trefellin

He's been in the Pit so long, he's forgotten about television. His whole life is about pears, cats, Spartans and rape. So much so that the mind control tube has lost it's powers over him. It's sad really.
First you accept you need a comprehensive knowledge to learn fast

Decide instrument (learn two they reinforce each other (guitar and keyboard/piano))
Start with any!

Work your fingers every day on the guitar neck (tips especially) even if you cannot play a thing till mild pain

Read The Guitar Handbook (12.50 at half price books) so you understand the basics of music
Learn some music on you tube of your choice (110 pages) skim if needed but reread if not understanding a major triad

Start training lessons at http://www.musictheory.net/
Focus on reading the staff both treble and bass identifying the notes
Intervals are important! Then c major scale. Expand as needed

Use the following three in combination:

http://www.guitarworld.com/articles/lessons (start blues power and MASTER all lessons) look up 12 blues if you can't get started

Explore acoustic guitar with the 1 and 2 Christopher Parkening books

Independent study on Internet or with a patient guitarist

If you understand you can learn fast I don’t see anyway with good process you can't be playing "shred" guitar in a year

Step three

PROFIT
Last edited by FUNKmods at Jul 2, 2008,
FUNKmods right if you don't have knowledge you won't be able to learn as fast. Also learning songs is the same as learning guitar you need theory involved too like reading music. If you have a teacher that teacher is able to correct your mistakes and bad technical habits you would develop without one.
just learn on your own, start out with some nirvana songs most are simple and very easy to play
If you want the guitar learning process to take 3 times longer just learn on your own. If you want to get better faster, get some proper instruction
If you are someone who likes more structure to their activities, take classes. If you'd rather be more independent and develop by yourself and develop your own style, do it yourself.

There's no definitive answer to the question, mostly just personal preference.

I believe classical guitar is much more technique based and requires more training than basic steel string guitar and in that sense it might require more direction.... but I don't play classical guitar so I can't* tell you 100%.
Last edited by theinnerpalm at Jul 2, 2008,
youtube is a great resource also
just search for a song and add "lesson" or "tutorial" etc. to the name.
also just search "guitar lessons"
Quote by Jerome G
youtube is a great resource also
just search for a song and add "lesson" or "tutorial" etc. to the name.
also just search "guitar lessons"

+1 I use youtube.com to learn songs. Sometimes it's hard to get the timing down with vocals on top of the guitar. On youtube you can always find somebody just playing the song and not singing.
if you have time to learn on your own can't you take a class??
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it