hey UG ,

i have come to ask some opinions.. well right now the australian government are paying half for school supplies up to $750 which means i can get something worth $1500 for $750.. ok to cut to the chace..

im looking at a dell vostro laptop

1.8 Ghz core duo
2GB ram
160GB hard drive
EDIT: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
and blah blah blah...

my question to you is... should i upgrade any of these three...

$79.20 to upgrade the CPU to 2Ghz
$148.50 to upgrade the RAM to 3GB
$39.60 to upgrade the hard drive to 250GB
$99.00 to upgrade the graphics card to 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS

can somebody tell me if any of those are worth it?
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
Last edited by BFMVrrule at Jul 2, 2008,
I'm assuming you're running Vista. I'd upgrade either the processor or the ram. They both kinda go hand in hand in my book. 2gb should be plenty though. 1.8 is pretty standard, and whereas I think that 3gb would be ahead of its time for the timebeing. I think that 2.0ghz sounds more proportional to 2gb of ram. And you would save money.
to the Threadstarter
i am living in australia as a student as well how do you get that discount/rebate?
thanks man... yeah im going to be running vista yeah thats kinda what i was thinking i might go with that decision... because the hard drive doesnt really need upgrading thats plenty of space for me

Quote by chll

Not to mention upgrading the hard drive later down the road is 10 ten times easier than the processor. Actually, the processor would be the most difficult thing to change on your own. Anyone can change RAM or the hard drive. I don't think I even know how to change a processor in a laptizzy.
For sure the processor, 3ghz quad core is the normal now for desktops, so 3ghz dual core should go fine.
is it fairly necessary to upgrade the processor and the RAM? i would assume so

Quote by chll

Quote by BFMVrrule
is it fairly necessary to upgrade the processor and the RAM? i would assume so

It really depends on what you want to use the computer for. Is it just a general purpose computer, for internet, mp3's ect, or will you be using it for something special such as music production?
Quote by doggy_hat
It really depends on what you want to use the computer for. Is it just a general purpose computer, for internet, mp3's ect, or will you be using it for something special such as music production?

ill mainly be using it for going onto the internet, listening to music and ill put a few games on there like COD4 or something.. that would be the main game id have on there.. other than that yeah mainly just internet and music...

the thing is i dont want to buy a laptop and have it go 'out of fashion' i guess you could call it

Quote by chll

Quote by BFMVrrule
ill mainly be using it for going onto the internet, listening to music and ill put a few games on there like COD4 or something.. that would be the main game id have on there.. other than that yeah mainly just internet and music...

the thing is i dont want to buy a laptop and have it go 'out of fashion' i guess you could call it

My computer is from 1999. It has 128MB of Ram, and god knows how weak of a CPU. and although some sites that are full of ads or are flash based can be a bit slow, I have no problems navigating the internet. About the games, I don't know **** about computer games, so I don't know what to say about that.
nah thats kool... thanks for all the help man i really appreciate it

Quote by chll

You need a better cpu to play cod4. 2gigs of ram is fine.

Whats the video card in it, if it has a crap video card it doesn't matter what CPU or ram you have.
Don't upgrade the ram or processor, I have similar spec's and I can run most games, just make sure it has dedicated graphics
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Copilot911
You need a better cpu to play cod4. 2gigs of ram is fine.

Whats the video card in it, if it has a crap video card it doesn't matter what CPU or ram you have.

umm it doesnt specify a video card... would that be the same as the graphics card?

if so: Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

Quote by chll

Last edited by BFMVrrule at Jul 2, 2008,
Yeah you probably aren't going to be able to play cod4 very easily, maybe on the lowest settings.

For $1500 you can get a way better laptop, I don't know why you are looking at such a cheap one.
Quote by Copilot911
Yeah you probably aren't going to be able to play cod4 very easily, maybe on the lowest settings.

For $1500 you can get a way better laptop, I don't know why you are looking at such a cheap one.

because my dad is being an ass and says that i cant always have the best of everything lol

it will cost $99.00 to upgrade to 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS

Quote by chll

i have come to a conclusion... i am going to upgrade the ghz and the video card

Quote by chll