I'm still trying to figure out theory but I've been trying to figure out what it's known as when you take a scale for example (C major) and focus on a different tonic like (D) but don't change any notes of the scale. Now I was wondering if this has to do anything with modes or is this just a complete misconception on my part.
i don't really understand your question but you can play the notes of a D scale within a C scale, you'd just be omitting the notes that aren't in both, but that makes little sense
Yeah you're talking about modes. D dorian mode has the same notes as C major, but the tonal centre is D.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
That's exactly what a mode is.

However, before learning about modes, please make sure you understand the basics, intervals and the major scale, via my sig.
Quote by randomthoughts
I'm still trying to figure out theory but I've been trying to figure out what it's known as when you take a scale for example (C major) and focus on a different tonic like (D) but don't change any notes of the scale. Now I was wondering if this has to do anything with modes or is this just a complete misconception on my part.

My attention was drawn more to your sig than your question m8. Lol