Page 1 of 2
I used one at a local music store. At first I wasn't ready to be surprised because of all the crap you guys were giving it. But then I started playing... And DAMN, did I like it. I don't know if someone preset something on it, but it sounded great as I played some of my favourite Iron Maiden (!!) riffs and verses.

I think this is the one I used : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

So why do you guys hate them so much?
They sound.. Terrible, you may like the sound of it now, but give it a few months and you will hate the bloody thing
HI
I got such a thin tone out of my MG15. And...it must have spontaneously combusted because I can't find it anywhere in my house, ridiculous.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

maybe you haven't developed an ear for tone yet. when i bought my mg i thought "omg i finally own a real amp" and when i bought my teachers vox amp i hated the mg so bad.
Their tone is empty and hollow, lacks substance, sounds absolutely horrid, for ANYTHING, they sound like crap at high volumes, they sound like crap at low volumes, they sound crap.

Clean and distortion channels are terrible, they lack any bright outstanding aspects, it's just a really dull hollow tone, that tries to rape your ears.

Seriously, I played one at my friend's house today, it sounded AWFUL, I hated them before-hand, I tried a few out at Allans Music too, so I know it's their production line that sucks balls, not just a bad amp.

I suggest staying away from the MG series.
Quote by onetwothrefour
I'm not using the MG15 I'm using the MG100... Doesn't "100" always mean leet?

In my opinion, every model in the MG series SUCKS.

More watts doesn't mean you're going to sound better, the MG series is solid state, they're digital amps, that's part of the reason they sound horrid, that and they're made in Korea with **** all quality control, it's basically an amp with Marshall slapped on it so new-players will buy it.
Quote by onetwothrefour
I'm not using the MG15 I'm using the MG100... Doesn't "100" always mean leet?

"100" in this case means "it's still shit, but it's louder"
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Yeah, I bought a Marshall AVT20 (Practically an MG with a tube so they could charge more) from a friend really cheap (less than $100), and it seemed awesome at first, but I'm sick of it now. You won't be able to play at high volumes as the feedback and muddy-ness will kill your ears and piss off your friends. And nothing will make it sound better...pedals, EQs, better pickups...
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Quote by onetwothrefour
So... If I want a Marshall MG I should buy one from the U.S. and not Korea?

No, the ones that are made in Korea are exported world-wide, you should just STEER AWAY from the MG series, you may not realize it now, but they are REALLY bad overpriced amps, you'll notice it one day after you make a few more visits to the guitar store and compare it to other amps in your price range, you'll see.
Quote by onetwothrefour
But if I pretend the MG is the only amp I'm allowed to buy that's under 1000$ it's a good deal right?

Well, if it's the ONLY amp you're allowed to buy, you're pretty ****ed aren't you?

Look into a Roland Cube Amp or a VOX AD30VT, they're great amps for the price, pretty versatile too, but with the VOX, the distortion can be a bit disappointing.

I'm not going to continue to try to help you if you're so set on the Marshall MG, that just tells me you're going to buy it no matter what people say.

I'll let you decide.

Ts is either

a) a troll
b) utterly tone deaf and determined to waste his parents money on a 100 watt half stack nobody needs

Either way, if hes being as stubborn ass let him go for it.
Quote by beckyjc

Ts is either

a) a troll
b) utterly tone deaf and determined to waste his parents money on a 100 watt half stack nobody needs

Either way, if hes being as stubborn ass let him go for it.

I'm beginning to think the TS is a troll, I can't understand how someone can be so ignorant on a topic.
I like how the amp sounded and I'm just asking if you guys hate it because it doesn't last. To be 100% honest It's still #1 on my list right now, because it played MY music just how I like it.

If you could redirect me to a better amp that plays Iron Maiden/Judas Preist like god then please, do so.
Yeah it just sounds like your new to the whole 'tone' thing. Although people do need to stop ragging on solid state amps. They can be awesome. The MG is just crap because it's crap, not because it's solid state. I've played some awful valve amps, too (Peavey Valveking, I'm looking at you). For example, I'm willing to bet that the Line 6 Vetta is way better than what most of the UG posters have.

Anyway.. if this is your first amp, and just meant for your house and general practice/jamming, I recommend getting a Roland Micro Cube. Awesome little amp, an array of decent usable amp models (one which sounds more like a Marshall than the MG does lol), and surprisingly loud for a 5watt amp. It's easy to get fooled into thinking you 'need' 100watts, but listen to me.. you really don't. Hell, you don't even need 100watts if you're gigging. 50watts is all you need for gigging. I know so many guitarists that have gone out and bought a 100w amp to gig with, only to never be able to turn it up past 4 or 5 at a gig.

Depending on what you need it for (I'm guessing house practice and jamming with mates), just get the Micro Cube. You could even get the new RX model, which is a big improvement, and has an awesome 'Rhythm Guide' thingy which will help your practice no-end. You won't believe how good they sound until you hear one (honestly, the first time I heard one I was like "You've got to be kidding me, that little thing is making that sound?"), and you won't grow to hate it as you develop a sense of tone, and it'll always serve a purpose in your gear collection, whereas the MG will quickly become "that rubbish amp I wish I never bought, and now never ever use".

If you need something for gigging, consider getting a nice valve amp, or at least look into the amp modelling stuff. Some decent cheap valve amps are starting to come out of the far east (Bugera, etc). Look into them if you need a good gigging amp, but can't splaff a grand on a Marshall JVM, or an Engl Powerball or whatever.
Quote by onetwothrefour
I like how the amp sounded and I'm just asking if you guys hate it because it doesn't last. To be 100% honest It's still #1 on my list right now, because it played MY music just how I like it.

If you could redirect me to a better amp that plays Iron Maiden/Judas Preist like god then please, do so.

You think that Maiden's and Priests' tone can be compared to that of a Marshall MG?

No.

Just no.

I give up on you, most of us here have been playing for years or have a decent to good ear for tone, if you're not going to listen to us who have had more experience, I'll let you waste your money.
Quote by onetwothrefour

Well, just keeping it Marshall...

Vintage Modern
JCM800
JCM900
DSL series
TSL series

My friends CJ has one of those exact amps, actually. An MG100HDFX.

It's really pretty okay on the clean channel if you get some pedals (he uses a Boss GT-8), but even then, it's incredibly thin. No balls at all.
Quote by XianXiuHong
You think that Maiden's and Priests' tone can be compared to that of a Marshall MG?

No.

Just no.

I give up on you, most of us here have been playing for years or have a decent to good ear for tone, if you're not going to listen to us who have had more experience, I'll let you waste your money.
Let me tell you something. I don't give a **** how good your ear tone is or how much experience you've had. If I go ask B.B. King (who's had much more experience than you I'm sure) "What amp do you think can play metal the best in your opinion?" HE'S NOT GONNA ****ING KNOW. 53 years of experience in Blues guitar. Is he gonna be able to help me nail a great ****ing metal amp? Probably ****ing not, right? And I 100% doubt that ANY famous guitarist has come to UG asking for what's good or bad. IT'S ALL PREFERENCE. Did Slash ask other guitarists which amp was good? NO!! He just rented a Marshall, then fell in love with it, and lied about it getting stolen. Sorry for ranting but when I come in here, asking about one amp that I seem to prefer, and you start doubting my intelligence and ear tone? Why? Because I don't agree with you? Goddamnit, man. And how do you know how long I've been playing? Oh, yeah, YOU DON'T. Now please DON'T REPLY unless you can speak to me as an equal, not as an inferior guitarist.

Thanks martin, I did start with the Microcube. I'm not into gigging, I just liked how it sounded and was wondering about some of your OPINIONS on why it sucked.

Are there any technical/mechanical reasons why it sucks or is it just the tone?
Quote by onetwothrefour
Let me tell you something. I don't give a **** how good your ear tone is or how much experience you've had. If I go ask B.B. King (who's had much more experience than you I'm sure) "What amp do you think can play metal the best in your opinion?" HE'S NOT GONNA ****ING KNOW. 53 years of experience in Blues guitar. Is he gonna be able to help me nail a great ****ing metal amp? Probably ****ing not, right? And I 100% doubt that ANY famous guitarist has come to UG asking for what's good or bad. IT'S ALL PREFERENCE. Did Slash ask other guitarists which amp was good? NO!! He just rented a Marshall, then fell in love with it, and lied about it getting stolen. Sorry for ranting but when I come in here, asking about one amp that I seem to prefer, and you start doubting my intelligence and ear tone? Why? Because I don't agree with you? Goddamnit, man. And how do you know how long I've been playing? Oh, yeah, YOU DON'T. Now please DON'T REPLY unless you can speak to me as an equal, not as an inferior guitarist.

Thanks martin, I did start with the Microcube. I'm not into gigging, I just liked how it sounded and was wondering about some of your OPINIONS on why it sucked.

This is all very well put together and makes tons of sense.

Except in the case of a cheap, crap amp.

I speak to you as an equal. You can't really compare Slash renting a Marshall, or a professional not asking an opinion on their preferred amp, or BB King not knowing a great metal amp... Simply because the MG line is terrible. You cannot, I repeat, cannot find a great metal amp in a Marshall MG. If you're looking for a great metal amp, you're going to have to spend more on a very good combo or half stack.

The MG could be a great practice amp, but not 100 watts of MG. Try out some other amps under $1000 or whatever your budget is. Everyone on here, although they talk down on you, is just trying to prevent you from wasting a wad of money... and maybe polluting the air with thin, empty tone.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by onetwothrefour

Well put, but just because BB King can't point you to a good metal amp doesn't mean he doesn't have an ear for tone, I didn't say I had as much experience or a great ear for tone either, I'm simply stating that the people here have a decent to good ear for tone, but if you're going to get all pissed off like that, I'm not going to bother with you anymore.

Hey, if you like the amp, buy it, I was merely trying to help you.
Quote by onetwothrefour
Would you, sir, kindly link me to a better amp that plays metal?

Look at used amps.

Seriously, your ear will "develop" over time. I had the same thing happen to me, at first anything will impress you, because, well it's guitar and it sounds awesome in itself - but you WILL get mad at your amp at some point.

But look for a good used tube combo, that's what I would do.
Maybe you can find a used Laney head and a 2x12 cab too, because that's great amps for the price, but idk how high you're willing to go.

But for example Peavey 5150 amps can be found at a pretty decent price used - and they sound great for the money (tons better than the MG)
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by onetwothrefour

Price range? And I assume you like '80s metal.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
If you like the tone then go on buy it **** the bandwagon

if you like it don't listen to other people
Quote by onetwothrefour

Used Peavey 5150, Carvin Legacy or a Carvin V3.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Well put, but just because BB King can't point you to a good metal amp doesn't mean he doesn't have an ear for tone, I didn't say I had as much experience or a great ear for tone either, I'm simply stating that the people here have a decent to good ear for tone, but if you're going to get all pissed off like that, I'm not going to bother with you anymore.

Hey, if you like the amp, buy it, I was merely trying to help you.
Merely try to help me by telling me a better amp for the same style, please. Not telling me my ear is off.

But hell yes, my ear tone is just 1% above none.
Quote by onetwothrefour
Merely try to help me by telling me a better amp for the same style, please. Not telling me my ear is off.

But hell yes, my ear tone is just 1% above none.

I already listed some, look at the first page.
Quote by onetwothrefour
The guy doesnt ship to Canada, I'm in Canada

Xian aren't those both starter amps? I'm trying to go a step above starter.

Well, I wasn't suggesting that you get that exact one... just showing that they can easily be found for that price.
Quote by onetwothrefour
Oh, so the Peavey 5150? And is it still in production?

I believe they are called they 6505 now, but yeah, still being made.
Quote by onetwothrefour
The guy doesnt ship to Canada, I'm in Canada

Xian aren't those both starter amps? I'm trying to go a step above starter.

VOX amps are good for bedroom practice and the newer series of amps are pretty good for live gigging, otherwise I'd look into a Peavey or Laney or possibly even a Mesa Boogie amp.
Quote by onetwothrefour
Ouch those 6505 are way over 1000$ unless I buy used huh...

What about the Valveking 112?

Valvekings are extremely popular. It'll get you decent tone - better than most things for it's price, but it's not something you'd wanna play Budokan with.

I think that might be exactly what you need, actually. If you think just a good practice amp, that might someday potentially be used for gigging, is what you're looking for, I would get one of those.
Page 1 of 2