Page 1 of 2
My neighbor is my age and about a year ago he wanted to play guitar so he could fit in with me and my fellow musician friends

he goes out to a guitar store and buys a 300 dollar acoustic (the brand slips my mind for some reason, forgive me)

he wants me to teach him...so i tune his guitar for him and try to teach him smoke on the water (probably as simple as you can go...i only showed him the frets and said he could play it on one string)

it took him a full week to learn and memorize smoke on the water (he claimed i was an extremely horrible teacher, even though i give lessons for money)

a month later he buys a line 6 amp i think his is a 40 watt...cant remember the price but it was expensive (remember he only has an ACOUSTIC)

i try to teach him the E string version of iron man (it takes him forever, and he almost forgets smoke on the water in the process)

that same week he buys a epiphone SG and puts pick ups in it

he gradually starts getting better

its been a year and a half since he first started playing...he has 6 guitars and 2 line 6 amps

he cant really play music...he googled scales and now he can sweep scales (ask him to play hey joe or something and he will cuss you out and leave)

anyone know a douche bag like this?
Totally.

Why can't people be normal like me and start off with 2 Gibson Studio Les Pauls, 3 Fender Vintage Stratocasters and 1 Custom Shop Gibson Flying V?

Seriously...
oh damn hahahaha

was i the only person deprived? i got my first guitar from walmart...waited a good 3 years and then got my epiphone les paul haha
dont forget the douchebags who come online and complain about people they think that they are better than

oh and -reported- i dont even know if theres a forum specifically for rants, but this is not the right one. try the pit.
Quote by theshroomman
dont forget the douchebags who come online and complain about people they think that they are better than

ouch i think that was directed towards me

i dont think im better than anyone...i just dont think people should be super spoiled when it isnt called for

EDIT: i give him credit...but he insults me and other guitar players like he is freakin hendrix or something...its just annoying...
i dont no him personally but when i was in high school some kids parents bought him a guitar that was like dime razor back or something, he played for two months then never picked it up again son of a bitch
meh.. a guitar is a guitar as far as the learning process goes.

by the best you can afford.. buying crappy equipment because you dont' think you deserve it isn't going to make you want to practice and grow more.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Martindecorum
i dont no him personally but when i was in high school some kids parents bought him a guitar that was like dime razor back or something, he played for two months then never picked it up again son of a bitch

haha damn that sucks...waste of a guitar

did he ever like sell it or hand it down or anything?

i gave my walmart strat to a kid for christmas
some people have lots of money so they can spend their money in whatever way they want to. let them be. i don't see the big deal. who cares? if he sucks, he sucks.

be proud you work hard to pay for your gear.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
1. Steal his stuff in the middle of the night
2. Before you leave, hit him on the head with his heaviest guitar
3. ???
4. Profit!*

*for all you idiots out there, yes, this is a joke
you know none of you would be bitching if someone bought you the same things, so what, i would of loved it if i had nice gear when i first started i probably would of progressed faster, i started with a crate package from guitar center ( yeah crate guitar too ) some of us dont have wealthy families and actually have to buy our own gear, but we tend to appreciate it more then the little kid with a 5 grand les paul, therefore we tend top take pride in what we do and not take thing for granted
well i wouldnt care if he was a rich kid or whatever...but he always complains about how poor he is and how hard it is for him to live....

??? spoiled poor kid?
Of course, we all have to deal with those people though. Some kid in my school has thousands and thousands of dollars worth of guitars, amps, effects, recording equipment and other things and he can barely play anything original that isn't power chord patterns and single string "riffs". But the thing is, nothing I can say or do will change it, so I just enjoy the fact that I appreciate my gear so much more.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Quote by onetwothrefour
Totally.

Why can't people be normal like me and start off with 2 Gibson Studio Les Pauls, 3 Fender Vintage Stratocasters and 1 Custom Shop Gibson Flying V?

Seriously...

Okay okay I lied... I actually started with a 150$ Ibanez GRX20!
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
you know none of you would be bitching if someone bought you the same things, so what, i would of loved it if i had nice gear when i first started i probably would of progressed faster, i started with a crate package from guitar center ( yeah crate guitar too ) some of us dont have wealthy families and actually have to buy our own gear, but we tend to appreciate it more then the little kid with a 5 grand les paul, therefore we tend top take pride in what we do and not take thing for granted

i agree to a point...

i worked really hard to get my setup

but i would feel really crappy if i had a bajillion guitars and only knew a little bit

my philosophy is only own enough that you will play

i have 2 a les paul and a stratocaster....they are 2 opposites and have 2 different purposes so its ok....and they will be the only guitars i ever have too
Quote by amazing FretMan
i agree to a point...

i worked really hard to get my setup

but i would feel really crappy if i had a bajillion guitars and only knew a little bit

my philosophy is only own enough that you will play

i have 2 a les paul and a stratocaster....they are 2 opposites and have 2 different purposes so its ok....and they will be the only guitars i ever have too

well if you were is a mega successful band and could afford alot more would you still only have your 3 guitars, i think not, ive come across quite a few time where the gear me or one of my friends have just does not cut it for a certain part when trying to get the best possible sound, i would love to have more guitars then i could ever play, i would love to have that option to just grab a different one and see if its better, but some of us just have to make due with what we have.
nah im pretty sure that i would stick to 2 guitars....maybe a 12 string would come into play one day but thats it
Quote by amazing FretMan
nah im pretty sure that i would stick to 2 guitars....maybe a 12 string would come into play one day but thats it

to each there own
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
to each there own

yes, to each there own

you make a very valid statement
Spoilt much? Hey hate people that get so many guitars in their first year of playing.

I have been playing for 2-3years and i have 1 guitar and 1 ****ty amp.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

yeah its really agrivating KISS...especially when its rubbed in ur face alot

and people who dont play an instrument usually think the person with the most or better set up is actually the better msusician...
Quote by amazing FretMan
yeah its really agrivating KISS...especially when its rubbed in ur face alot

and people who dont play an instrument usually think the person with the most or better set up is actually the better msusician...

Piss off. Yeah hate those people that just think the people with more expensive stuff are better.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

The way I look at it is- you shouldn't have to be amazing at guitar to own an expensive one. It should even be OK to not play any guitar whatsoever, and have a ten grand guitar hanging on your wall. I know that most UG posters would hate a person like this on principal. But why do I think this? Here why- is every person with an amazing expensive car a race driver? No. Most people who own a car that can do 0 to 60phm in 1second don't do anything other than use the cr to get around. They never ever even get near their car's top speed. They just bought it because they had money to waste, and thought "Hey, I'll buy a sweet car, even though I'm not really gonna use it".

Same principal with guitar really. Some people just want it as a sort of ornament that looks pretty, and sometimes they'll maybe play a couple chords on it. Who cares? They're not hurting anyone. I think it's different with spoiled brats, like you were saying. They need a clip round the ear, not a ton of expensive gear his mother bought him.
I couldn't care less - I think people who get jealous are just as bad.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Martin Scott
The way I look at it is- you shouldn't have to be amazing at guitar to own an expensive one. It should even be OK to not play any guitar whatsoever, and have a ten grand guitar hanging on your wall. I know that most UG posters would hate a person like this on principal. But why do I think this? Here why- is every person with an amazing expensive car a race driver? No. Most people who own a car that can do 0 to 60phm in 1second don't do anything other than use the cr to get around. They never ever even get near their car's top speed. They just bought it because they had money to waste, and thought "Hey, I'll buy a sweet car, even though I'm not really gonna use it".

Same principal with guitar really. Some people just want it as a sort of ornament that looks pretty, and sometimes they'll maybe play a couple chords on it. Who cares? They're not hurting anyone. I think it's different with spoiled brats, like you were saying. They need a clip round the ear, not a ton of expensive gear his mother bought him.

i give you 2 thumbs up ...you make alot of sense
Quote by Martin Scott

Agreed, i'm pathetic at guitar even after a year and half, yet I nearly bought an SG (Gibson, not Epi!) cos I love the look of it - how it played didn't matter too much (though it played like a dream), I just wanted an SG. If these people have money to burn on expensive guitars which they will never use to their true potential, let them. Don't let it irritate you. TS, just ignore people like that. distance yourself from them if you must, but let them continue in their own way.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by steven seagull
I couldn't care less - I think people who get jealous are just as bad.

You say that, proberly because you are one of them spoilts
Quote by Awildgoose
You say that, proberly because you are one of them spoilts

Yes, I'm really spoilt working 50 hour days to pay my bills and mortgage...I have lots of stuff because I earned the money to pay for it.

STFU you pathetic little moron and learn to ****ing write english.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I don't understand how someone else's guitar affects you in any way.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
I asked for a Corte and my dad surprised me with an American Strat for Christmas. I used it for about 5 years until just recently buying my Jackson ( Yes I bought it ). But I really appreciated a nice guitar like that. Now that I'm older I don't get stuff bought for me anymore but I think EVERYONE has to deal with that.
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, I'm really spoilt working 50 hour days to pay my bills and mortgage...I have lots of stuff because I earned the money to pay for it.

STFU you pathetic little moron and learn to ****ing write english.

Damn you mean 50 hour weeks? That's still a lot. I work like 35ish hour weeks and feel like I work a lot.
Martin Scott - well said. Bang on there.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Seef
Damn you mean 50 hour weeks? That's still a lot. I work like 35ish hour weeks and feel like I work a lot.

I did quite a few a couple of years ago when I was doing bar management - things are a lot cushier now mind, I still do close to that including travel time though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by tonedeafidiot

*for all you idiots out there, yes, this is a joke

Too late.

i learned on my dads pos acoustic

7 years later i got a Gibson SG Standard

now i have......... 0

but at least i have knowledge and exp

Well I suck and I bought myself a 58' Reissue Les Paul, but it's not like I was given it or something, I blew all my money on it haha.
Yeah, I've met people who asked their parents to buy them Gibsons (and did actually get them) purely for the sake of owning a Gibson, with little or no intent to learn to play the damn thing.

I shouldn't hate them.

But I do.

It's not that I'm jealous. I could probably afford a Gibson (I've been saving up for 4 years to buy a new amp). I just don't like people who show off and try to be 'cool', whatever that means.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 2, 2008,
Page 1 of 2