I've decided that I'm going to get the mods on my Epi Dot finished over the summer, and was just seeking some help regarding what to do.

Now, I have some BKP Stormy Mondays in there at the moment and they sound great, although I think the last tech I saw wired them badly so I'm gonna get that done. I'm also planning on a new nut, pots and caps.

Thing is, the bass is a bit too loose for my taste. Although I know semi's on the neck pup into a vintage-Brit styled amp is always going to produce rather mellow bass I'd still like it a bit more controlled. I remember reading somewhere once that you can tighten up the bass by changing the value of the caps/pots used (can't remember which one). Is that at all true, and if so what should I change to for tighter bass?

And on another quick note - new tuners and bridge - are they really worth it?

Cheers
You don't change the base by changing the caps, you change the treble by changing caps.

Do your pickups have covers? If so then take them off and that'll tighten them up. If they don't have covers then you might want to look into sending them in for a magnet swap. Alnico 4 will tighten up your bass without changing the top end too much. Alnico 5 will tighten up the bass and boost the top end.
Not taking any online orders.
^that would make things worse not better.

Changing caps and pots can make your tone brighter or darker but it won't tighten a loose bass and/or mushy bass end.

I had assumed you had already tried raising your pickup but now I'm thinking I shouldn't have assumed that. Try raising your pickup. When the pickup is closer to the strings it gives a tigher responce.

Another option is to use an EQ or compressor pedal (perhaps both) to get things the way you want them. This is far from ideal though.

Tim is really good at customer service so if you give him an email and tell him what is up he might say to try a .022 cap and/or a 1 meg pot but chances are that he will tell you to send them back and he will put in something like alnico 4 or alnico 5 magnets.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks very much for the help. I'm thinking that getting Alnico 4's sounds like a good idea. And the pups are about as close to the strings as they can be ATM.

Although when I was at my tech's he gave it a quick shot through his Mesa 5150, which is obviously more modern and American voiced than my Laney. First impression - much tighter, and more how I want it. I'll give it a proper listen next time I'm there.
You mean a Mesa Rectifier or a Peavey 5150?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Hehe, np everyone makes those mistakes sometime.

From what I've heard they're supposed to sound less than stellar clean. Something to do with the fact that it's made for really high gain playing.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Hmm, maybe. Despite my tone obsession I haven't really layed all that much gear, so I couldn't say how they compare to any kind of Fender or Vox or anything. But they were full, clean and powerful. Maybe a little sterile for some, none of that SRV gritty clean. But good for the simple jazzy stuff I tried out quickly.