Hi guys

me and my band Crashpoint hit an all time low last night, thanks to our drummer, were a week away from our first gig and its pretty much all of us except for the drummer who are all on form, we were playing tracks but he kept stopping and adjusting his cymbals constantly, dropping sticks, and generally getting in a mood about how he can't keep up, anyhoo, last night, he threw some sticks one hit my guitar and took a noticable chunk of paint off it, (70's SG) I didnt realise till i got back, he says he wont leave, but if he has no drumkit to practice on at home (which we only yesterday found out from his friend), and no job to buy said drumkit, where are we going to go but down if he constantly stops to adjust his cymbals and rub his sore hands! or just losing the rhythm halfway through the song and playing random jazz or blues excerpts!

what should i do, folks of UG

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Play any scheduled gigs you have, fire him, get a new drummer. DONT fire him before gigs and not play gigs- you wont get more if you do

Or if he's a friend or you feel uncomforatble firing him, have a talk with him, tell him to stop being such a loser and if he EVER stops playing in a gig you'll crucify him
Last edited by guy_tebache at Jul 2, 2008,
chuck him out the band, chipping any guitar from the 70s is automatic treason

seriously though, tell him if he doesnt get his act together hes out the band. I've been in the same situation as you and kept the drummer when it turned out to be a massive waste of time since he didnt noticably improve and obviously wanted to be 'the drummer' rather than be part of a collection of musicians trying to make (well what we thought was) decent music. Get looking for other drummers too, just incase
Find someone else, some people just don't have what it takes to make it and you can't go dealing with A.Rose type charecters (especially if they don't have skill). Btw is this a Gibson Sg? If so you must kill him ... kill him now.
just talk to him and tell him to pull his head in.
we had this problem with our guitarist told him he didnt listen now he has no friends and no band haha
Thanks for the feedback guys, he is a good friend, but how he made us sound **** last night, was unjust, if he never practices he's never goibg to get any better and hes one of the older band members at 21, it helps having folks like you all on hand to give your views, keep em coming please

and no it wasnt a Gibson, but it's my damn workhorse that has been with me from the start, so it hurt alot when i got back saw a chunk of paint missing from the headstock and one of my tuners a bit skewiff

Were also recording an EP in july too, and if he messes that up thats another kettle of fish, i think he feels guilty enough about damaging my iconic guitar, and we'll all speak to him next practice, and ill phone him in a bit

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Jul 2, 2008,
if the drummer doesnt hav a drum kit then get rid of him. when ever i look for new band members i always make sure they hav their own equipment. i was in a band with a drummer who didnt hav a kit and it was awful, he would use the rehersal time that we all payed for to practice.

and any1 who damages one of my guitars, even my epi LP, had better start running
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Find a new drummer before you kick him out.
That way it's an instant replacement and you can use the excuse that the new drummer is better anyway.
Try him with a gig and see what happens then. Let him know that none of you are going to wait for him to adjust this or that or rub his knuckles when you are on stage, so he can either play with the band or look a pillock onstage.
I've been in bands with drummers that can't seem to get through two songs without getting up and messing around, yet once they're on stage, they realise that they have to be on form.
Just playing a gig with the guy can change his whole outlook towards the band and rehearsing.
i just went through a similar thing with my drummer, well old drummer. he never practiced, didnt have his own kit(his got stolen out of his garage, which sucked, but still), and would never listen to us durring practice time when we are trying to teach him song parts. me and the other guitarist jammed with a buddy(drummer) of mine and we clicked, he learned the 5 songs me and him wrote over the past few weeks in no time and by the end of the night we could do them all without major f-ups, which we had been working on for weeks with the other guy. so last week i told him(the old drummer) that he dosnt have the time to commit to the band like we do and knowing his work schedual and girlfriend/house situation i knoew there was nothing he could realistically do to get better as fast as we need him to with 2 1.5 hr practices a week. so i cut the leash with him told him we were going another direction, he was pissed, but the new drummer kicks serious ass and we sound great now that we have someone who can keep a beat, remember transitions, and most importantly wants to listen to the guitar work all the way through before trying to drum something over it so he actually knows the parts before doing it wrong and practice/learning it wrong.

i say find someone who fits, give this guy the axe, move on. my old drummer was a best friend of 12 or 13 years and it hurt both of us, but in a few week i hope he sees why i had to do what i did
threaten him out of the band

be like

"bitch...i just realized you took the finish off my guitar...if i ever see you again...be it at band practice...or at our gig...i'll **** you up"
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Quote by stackedxactor
threaten him out of the band

be like

"bitch...i just realized you took the finish off my guitar...if i ever see you again...be it at band practice...or at our gig...i'll **** you up"

oh i already have done, he's ****ting bricks, i'm just waiting for his next ****-up, and ill be on him like ugly on an ape, you guys are great on this forum, i should post more often youve really given me some good advice and keep it coming, I think i might have spotted a drummer too, it's just i have to give this guy a chance first, seems like the best thing to do for the band, but if he pisses up the gig or the recording session we have booked, he'll get "das boot"

EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
MXR Phase 90