i'm looking for the best pedal to make my sound "fatter", "saturated" more "focused".
is it an OD that i need? if so, what would be the best pedal?
keeley tube screamer?
xotic bb preamp?
maxon od### (numbers)?
fulltone ocd?
etc?
i play mainly instrumental hard rock ala vai, satriani, petrucci, etc.
i don't want ibanez jemini or vox satchurator though.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
in my opinion "saturated" and "more focused" are kind of opposing goals.

If you want fatter, I love the Boss OD-3 I just recently got. You're probably in for a flood of replies, though, so listen to someone who has played more OD and distortion pedals.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Xotic BB sounds like the best bet out of those from what iv heard of it. It was very round and woody sounding when i tried it. It was a gibson SG ->xotic-> mesa DC and it sounded great to my ears.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
An Ibanez TS808 maybe?

If you want fatter and more saturated then you won't want anything with huge amounts of gain, just a nice OD that'll drive the amp harder. I have a ****ty OD (marshall jackhammer) but even then it tightens up my DSL401.
let's just put it a simpler way.
i want vai's tone. i have his pickups, his signature wah, and a decent delay pedal. i also have a 10 band boss equalizer which i hate and never use.
well the thing is no matter how i dial my amp i can't get that tone. alright i know his tone is "middy".
what pedal(s) do i (still) need, without buying his signature carvin head, amp and the other rack effects?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
bump!
If you need more mids from an OD pedal, the tubescreamer types (maxon OD808 for instance) will provide a slight mid hump.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
To get the sound you are describing I would look at two different pedals ... a compressor of your choice and a boost/overdrive. Maybe something like a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.
^Yeah, the Sparkle Drive is a tubescreamer clone, like I was talking about. It's a nice pedal.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
bbe green screamer!
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Yeah, the Sparkle Drive is a tubescreamer clone, like I was talking about. It's a nice pedal.

I don't see much resemblance, the sparkle drive has a mix knob which allows you to blend in the clean setting of your amp.
^They are voiced similarly, though. The clean blend would be the thing that sets it apart, which is what i like about the pedal so much. It can get a bit harsh with a strat and a bright amp, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
BBE Green Screamer or the Digitech Bad Monkey.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
^The Digitech bad monkey is nothing but a budget tubescreamer clone. It's great for the price, but better pedals can be had, and the threadstarter seems to be looking at higher end ODs.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86