I'm thinking of buying a decent overdrive/distortion pedal and am wondering which is a better pedal. (both are being sold used on craigslist) The DS-1 is probably cheaper than the TS808, and i know can be modded, but is it anywhere as good as a ts808?
I would be running it through my MIM Tele w/ Hot Rails bridge to my Epiphone Valve Jr. Amp
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Depends, what kind of tone are you looking for? Keep in mind, the point of the DS-1 is to act as the source of all the amp's distortion, while the Tubescreamer is normally used to boost it.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Depends, what kind of tone are you looking for? Keep in mind, the point of the DS-1 is to act as the source of all the amp's distortion, while the Tubescreamer is normally used to boost it.

so would the DS-1 make my VJ sould digital and not tube-like?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by jeffc313
so would the DS-1 make my VJ sould digital and not tube-like?

Un- modded? Definitely. Modded? Depends on how good of a job you do... it'll be expensive, though.
They're two completely different pedals, the OD808 is really for adding a little extra gain and tightening up your sound, basically it gives you amp a little extra push over the edge. The DS-1 being a distortion is much more full on, it's for adding lots of gain to a clean or dirty sound. Also the TS808 is much better quality than the DS-1 IMO and a much nicer pedal
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
No!The DS-1 is a bad pedal.Buy the Digitech hot head which is better and cheaper and if you want buy the Ibanez to use as a boost.
My pedals:
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah GCB-95
Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-9)
Digitech Hot Head
MXR Phase 90
Digitech DigiDelay
ive got the hot head, personally i wouldnt take it over the DS-1, its too cheap and thin sounding to me, it was only $40 so i guess its not so bad for the price