Page 1 of 2
so my high E on the strat just broke. i"m seeing that as an opportunity to finally clean (well, more like moisturize) the rosewood fretboard on it.
i have some questions:
- if i hold neck (guitar neck, that is) down and i look from my bridge down at the frets and neck, i see some slight curve in it. the side of the thinner strings seems to be a little higher that the lower string-side. is this normal or should there be done something about it ?

- will leaving my guitar without the high E for a day hurt the neck ? i'm using 12's a half step down if that matters.

- what should i do about the rosewood fretboard ? it has some whiter spots on some areas, i think due to sweating. the spots aren't like this:

but kind of like clouds of whiter areas on some places.
they seem to be on places where i play most, so i guess it's due to my fingers sweating.
will fretboard conditioner get rid of this ? if so, which one should i get ?

thanks a lot for any help !
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 2, 2008,
leaving the string off for one day won't hurt the guitar
and it seems that your neck may be a little warped due to variations in temperature and humidity. the only thing you could do is take it in to a store and ask if they could fix it
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
you should go ahead and change all of your strings. wipe the fretboard down with lemen oil or get some fast fret. it should clean your fretboard up some.

btw, that's not your high e string, it's a g.
Quote by bigdaddybrad
you should go ahead and change all of your strings. wipe the fretboard down with lemen oil or get some fast fret. it should clean your fretboard up some.

btw, that's not your high e string, it's a g.

isn't fast fret for the strings and/or frets, not the fretboard ?

yeah, i am planning on changing them all, i just don't have new set atm.

noooo, that's not a pic of mine, it was to show what it isn"t on my fretboard.
well to avoid any more unnecessary fretting problems, in addition to what the above posts have said, also don't allow your fretboard to be near a direct source of heat.

The heat weakens and may even crack the fretboard.
Ok, well now I realize that is not your fretboard. That was confusing. Here is a good read anyway.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842673&highlight=Rosewood+Fretboards

And yes, it sounds like your neck is warpped which i am sorry to hear about. Not sure if that can be fixed or not. If it was i would think you get fret buzz. Can you get a pic of the neck?
Luckily you own a Strat, so if the neck is warped you can easily replace it.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ok, well now I realize that is not your fretboard. That was confusing. Here is a good read anyway.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842673&highlight=Rosewood+Fretboards

And yes, it sounds like your neck is warpped which i am sorry to hear about. Not sure if that can be fixed or not. If it was i would think you get fret buzz. Can you get a pic of the neck?

yeah, i already found that with the search bar, it's not the same as my problem.

sorry to hear about ? is it that bad ?

i'll get a pic up in 2 minutes.
it's not severe though, only a slight curve.
Quote by The red Strat.

1) if i hold neck (guitar neck, that is) down and i look from my bridge down at the frets and neck, i see some slight curve in it. the side of the thinner strings seems to be a little higher that the lower string-side. is this normal or should there be done something about it ?

2) will leaving my guitar without the high E for a day hurt the neck ? i'm using 12's a half step down if that matters.

3) what should i do about the rosewood fretboard ? it has some whiter spots on some areas, i think due to sweating.

1) The higher pitched strings are thinner and require less room to vibrate, thus they are usually set a little lower. Maybe this is what you are seeing. To verify, put a capo on the first first fret. Then fret the low E at the last fret and look at the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 8th fret. Now repeat the same for the the high E. Since you have the string pressed down in those two places nut/bridge height become irrelevant and you're using the string as a straight edge. The gaps should be pretty much the same. If not, there could be warping.

2) No. Not at all.

3) Could be sweating, could be wear. Probably nothing to worry about. Plus, every guitar is made with a different piece of wood. One piece of rosewood may just look different from another.
Quote by The red Strat.
yeah, i already found that with the search bar, it's not the same as my problem.

sorry to hear about ? is it that bad ?

i'll get a pic up in 2 minutes.
it's not severe though, only a slight curve.

it's only bad if it affects your playing or you get fret buzz. otherwise, let it go for now. And to someone elses point you can easily get a new neck.

if you have never done the Lemon Oil Guitar Spray deal on your rosewood board I would suggest doing that. I do it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. That haze I think you are referring to (and sending pic of) could be from a number of things but usually is wax build up.

i know this sounds scarry but you can lightly use .0000 (4 dot) steel wool to clean things up before applying lemon spray and it is great for smoothing down the frets. just make sure you go WITH the grain of the wood. I do this once or twice a year and no problems at all. (search on = .0000)
Quote by TheProducer
1) The higher pitched strings are thinner and require less room to vibrate, thus they are usually set a little lower. Maybe this is what you are seeing. To verify, put a capo on the first first fret. Then fret the low E at the last fret and look at the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 8th fret. Now repeat the same for the the high E. Since you have the string pressed down in those two places nut/bridge height become irrelevant and you're using the string as a straight edge. The gaps should be pretty much the same. If not, there could be warping.

2) No. Not at all.

3) Could be sweating, could be wear. Probably nothing to worry about. Plus, every guitar is made with a different piece of wood. One piece of rosewood may just look different from another.

ok, i'll try that once i get my new strings on.

i doubt it's wear, because i only have the guitar for about 8 months.
no, it's not just a different piece of rosewood, it started to form those 'clouds' after i played it for a while. i'm pretty sure it's because of sweat.

i tried to take pics but my camera's batteries are dead so it has to charge now .

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
it's only bad if it affects your playing or you get fret buzz. otherwise, let it go for now. And to someone elses point you can easily get a new neck.

if you have never done the Lemon Oil Guitar Spray deal on your rosewood board I would suggest doing that. I do it maybe 3 or 4 times a year. That haze I think you are referring to (and sending pic of) could be from a number of things but usually is wax build up.

i know this sounds scarry but you can lightly use .0000 (4 dot) steel wool to clean things up before applying lemon spray and it is great for smoothing down the frets. just make sure you go WITH the grain of the wood. I do this once or twice a year and no problems at all. (search on = .0000)

i did have quite a bit of fret buzz before i raised the action from where it was stock.
it still has with the action at max height, but not trough the amp, just acoustically.

do you reckon this falls under warranty if it gets worse ? i've had it for about 8 moths now.

i tried to take a pic, but my camera's battery is dead so it's charching now...

i think i'll pass on the steel wool because it does sound scary

thanks for all the help so far guys !
Quote by The red Strat.
for what ?

to brush my teeth ?

Yes.

But I think he meant to scrub the fretboard clean.
Quote by TheProducer
Yes.

But I think he meant to scrub the fretboard clean.

yeah, i know
it isn't dirty, i think it's just dehydrated...

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
get a new one...an old one with toothpaste and tooth grim will not be good on fretboard and water is obviously a big no no on rosewood

water a big no no ? isn't sweat water for the most part ?

Quote by TheProducer
I would still like to see the pics of these 'clouds' on your fretboard.

oh right, almost forgot about that.

i'm uploading them right now, and i got some pics of the slighty warped neck aswell.

here's a pic of the neck, perhaps it's hard to see, but it's difficult to capture things like this on a pic:

here's a pic of the 'clouds' as i like to call it :

more pics on request
Last edited by The red Strat. at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
yeah, i know
it isn't dirty, i think it's just dehydrated...

water a big no no ? isn't sweat water for the most part ?

oh right, almost forgot about that.

i'm uploading them right now, and i got some pics of the slighty warped neck aswell.

Cool.

Water will dry out the wood, btw.
ah, that is a possible explanation for the 'clouds'. question is: what do i do about it ? will fretboard conditioner fix it ?

any thoughs on the neck warpage ?
oh feck. so i have to use conditioner first until i should start playing it again ? i'm a very sweaty player...
Quote by The red Strat.
oh feck. so i have to use conditioner first until i should start playing it again ? i'm a very sweaty player...

Well, you don't have to stop playing, no. Just look into getting some conditioner for it.
Quote by TheProducer
Well, you don't have to stop playing, no. Just look into getting some conditioner for it.

alright.

any thoughs on the neck warping ?
Quote by The red Strat.
alright.

any thoughs on the neck warping ?

That picture wasn't really helpful.

Did you try what I've said in an earlier post?
Quote by TheProducer
That picture wasn't really helpful.

Did you try what I've said in an earlier post?

i'll upload some others.

no, because i'm in a kind of awkward situation atm. my high e string is still off, and i'm waiting to restring my guitar because i don't have any conditioner yet. so i cant fret any notes on my high e
Quote by The red Strat.
i'll upload some others.

no, because i'm in a kind of awkward situation atm. my high e string is still off, and i'm waiting to restring my guitar because i don't have any conditioner yet. so i cant fret any notes on my high e

Well, you could try it on the B string too.
Quote by The red Strat.

tell me if you'd like them bigger, if you'd like them from a different angle, etc.

We're not going to be able to tell anything from those pics. At the moment, checking the relief on both sides is the best way I can think of. Other than that, using a straight-edge or a long ruler across the frets.
shall i try to make some better ones or not ?

i checked, but it's hard to tell because the b string is further on the fretboard, and it has a 7.25 inch radius, so i don't think it's a fair comparison...
alright, i took some (i think) better ones, i'm uploading them as we speak.

it's pretty clear on this one IMO^, but perhaps that's because i know where to look...

any input on this is greatly appreciated !
If you're on about what I think you are, which is when you look down the neck the fretboard looking like a less severe version of this:

)

But rotated 90 degrees to the left, then that's just the radius of the fretboard, they're not flat.

If it isn't giving you any playability problems it's probably nothing.

WIth the fretboard, buy some lemon oil, spray a thin layer on the fretboard and leave it to soak in for 5-10 minutes, then wipe it off.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you're on about what I think you are, which is when you look down the neck the fretboard looking like a less severe version of this:

)

But rotated 90 degrees to the left, then that's just the radius of the fretboard, they're not flat.

If it isn't giving you any playability problems it's probably nothing.

WIth the fretboard, buy some lemon oil, spray a thin layer on the fretboard and leave it to soak in for 5-10 minutes, then wipe it off.

oh, yeah, i'm aware of the radius, and i'm positive it's not that.

well... i did have to adjust the action to max height (doesn't bother me though because i like it high) to avoid string buzz on the lower strings...

ok. did playing it for 8 months with sweaty fingers without any lemon oil or anything possibly hurt it ? 311ZOSOVHJH kinda scared me with his 'splinter and warp over time'
Quote by The red Strat.
oh, yeah, i'm aware of the radius, and i'm positive it's not that.

well... i did have to adjust the action to max height (doesn't bother me though because i like it high) to avoid string buzz on the lower strings...

ok. did playing it for 8 months with sweaty fingers without any lemon oil or anything possibly hurt it ? 311ZOSOVHJH kinda scared me with his 'splinter and warp over time'

No, that wouldn't make the neck warp. Stress and weather and the likes would. Not sweaty hands.

Have you checked the relief on the neck? You shouldn't have to max out the action completely if all is well.
i know, but i think he meant the fingerboard would warp because of water (sweat).

yes, i'm pretty sure the relief is ok. there's a very slight bow, just like it should be i believe.
Quote by The red Strat.
i know, but i think he meant the fingerboard would warp because of water (sweat).

yes, i'm pretty sure the relief is ok. there's a very slight bow, just like it should be i believe.

Sounds about right. Check this out for more exact measurements. Keep in mind that it's for 9 gauge strings:

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

And we're worried more about the neck itself warping, not just the fingerboard.
i checked, and the 0.3 mm there seems about right.

true, both i'm worried about both

so... those 'clouds', is that anything i should be worrying about too ?

btw, TheProducer and everyone else, thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it !
Quote by The red Strat.
i checked, and the 0.3 mm there seems about right.

true, both i'm worried about both

so... those 'clouds', is that anything i should be worrying about too ?

btw, TheProducer and everyone else, thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it !

I would just condition it and not worry. Not much you can do. Don't play so much?

if i ever get my hands on a bottle of conditioner...
i went to two local shops today to get one and they didn't even know what it was.

yeah, seems like the only option at the moment
The fretboard'll be fine, my first guitar went over a year without being cleaned or having the strings changed and after a good coat of lemon oil it was good as new. The clouds should disappear, or at least darken.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Page 1 of 2