I'm trying to repair this MIM Strat for a guy who got it from a kid. I don't know whats been done to it... so I go in and check everything carefully.

Simple tap test on the poles with a small screwdriver tells me that the middle pickup sorta works. The neck and bridge are both dead.

I dissected the entire wiring layout and it all checked out. It doesn't appear as though its been modified since it left the factory. I tested the switch and jack, both good. Nothing appears to be grounding or shorting or open.

I pulled the pickup wires from the switch and metered the pickups... this doesn't make any sense, they all read about 2 MEGAohms of resistance. 2 meg?? Thats probably 8 or 9 times what they should read.

I pull out a different multimeter to double check the first one, and this meter reads close to that. (its a cheap meter, so there could be some variance between the two) But I'll be damned, these pickups all appear to be bad.

I wired each one to the output jack directly and redid the tap test. The neck and bridge are dead alright.. and the middle makes some sound, but its not strong. I think this pickup would sound very weak and noisy, judging by the sound of the taps.

So now I'm left scratching my head... how do you kill three pickups? There's no way a factory defect led to three in a row going bad. These wouldn't have even come out of the same lot, I bet... isn't the bridge usually a bit hotter and the middle pickup reverse wound/reverse polarity?

So I'm thinking maybe he hooked it up to something that applied power to them. I think voltage applied is the only way this could've happened, no?

A couple of observations, though... the everything is black on black, so its possible the kid swapped the pickguard and covers. It has custom knobs. The pickguard has shielding covering the entire backside, and I know from my MIM Strat that it had shielding only on the control cavity.

Is it possible to kill all three pickups by swapping everything off the pickguard?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Last edited by zeroyon at Jul 2, 2008,
It looks like a pro shielding job, not just added on later... but the way they look coming from a factory.
My Music
The most common reason for pickups to be broken is because somebody tried to take the covers off. Fender pickups often times have loose wires haning around anyway so if they were not careful when swapping pickgaurds it could have been pretty easy to break the wires on all 3. Could have been pure dumb luck as well. Sometimes the tiney pickup wire has defects in it before it's even wound into pickups. There has been more than 1 time when I've gotten to a bad spot in a spool and wound 3 or 4 bad pickups in a row. Thats why I test DC and AC resistance before I ship anything.
Not taking any online orders.
Yeah, but, in a production environment... they wind these things boxes at a time. You have to figure each pickup came from a different lot.

I will pull the pickguard and inspect each pickup closely to see if he managed to tear out the wires on all three. Again... the thing that puzzles me is how all three could be bad. I could see one.
My Music
^very true. Kinda like winning the lottery I guess... But it a bad way.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^very true. Kinda like winning the lottery I guess... But it a bad way.

Hahaha...

you win, now we're gonna kick you in the nuts.
My Music
the coil wire is probably disconnected or broken or bad in he pickup itself, ive seen it happen a few times, someoen take the pickup out and tries to peel the cover off with ascrewdriver or something, ends up stabbing the wires, and ruins it.