Not sure what I am looking for here, advice, tips, thoughts? Here is the situation. I've been playing guitar for about 10 years and I'm self taught. Never really played much in bands but now I'm in one and basically there is no other way to say it, I'm not a very good live guitar player. I'm the only guitar player so when I mess up, it's pretty obvious. Even the stuff that I've written and have played countless times I'll mess up on. I'll mess up on the arpeggio picking in the verse, or slide too far on the solo, just completely screw up the solo altogether, miss a bend here and there or what not. Like I'll bend up on the D string and and somehow my finger slides under the A string as well to where I'm bending the D but the A is now sitting on top of my finger.

I'm wondering if over the years I've just developed bad techniques or something. Because like I've said I've played these songs countless times, I should have them down. In all the time I've played I never really sat down and practiced technique type stuff. I just sat down and learned how to play songs or I'd go over stuff I've already learned. Chords I have no problem with, it is when I get to individual picking and single note stuff when I have problems.
Being self taught may be the problem. I recently started taking lessons and i improved in three weeks more than i could in three months because though i could play the stuff taught to me, my picking was not economical and so i got tired quickly etc. These kinds of things may be the problem. Having someone show you how to do stuff makes everything easier.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Are you messing up just infront of people? It takes a while to get used to the pressure. If not then you need to practice songs better. Instead of rushing into any song (Ones you created, or got off here ect ect) just practice it slowly. A good way to measure that I use is if I can play the whole song slowly without looking at the tabs and only make 1 or 2 mistakes I can start to speed it up a little.

Also, maybe you're going to have to look at your fingers if you keep messing up. Some teachers say it's a bad thing but if you are trying to memorize something...don't you need to look at it? That's my take on it anyways.

If you're doing all that then you need to practice that song more, even if you've done it 500 times, it could take 501 tries before you get it right.
question. Do you sit alot when playing and now you are standing because your in a band? Live especially? Well my friend that problem is easy(practice standing always). Another thing are you nervous? It was that way with me when I started playing live but I also have nerve damage in my picking hand so it was even harder. I got it under control now but man it was way off then. Last thought you might want to gain alot more control of your technique it doesn't always mean you are a bad player just natural tendencies sometime cause these issues to. Play those song at very slow speeds and progress to faster speeds even faster than the original speeds. Just to help with the control.
Quote by Herotime
question. Do you sit alot when playing and now you are standing because your in a band? Live especially? Well my friend that problem is easy(practice standing always). Another thing are you nervous? It was that way with me when I started playing live but I also have nerve damage in my picking hand so it was even harder. I got it under control now but man it was way off then. Last thought you might want to gain alot more control of your technique it doesn't always mean you are a bad player just natural tendencies sometime cause these issues to. Play those song at very slow speeds and progress to faster speeds even faster than the original speeds. Just to help with the control.

Nah I'm not really nervous when playing live, till I screw up that is. But yeah I practice sitting down and still mess up, when we practice as a band we try and make it like a live show as much as possible.