ok so i'm probably gonna get p90s for my epiphone g400. right now i have the stock humbuckers in there and i was wondering if i had to make any special modifications on my guitar. the p90s are wider than the humbuckers. and do i need just regular ones or the dog eared ones?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can't get real P-90's. They won't fit at all, because the routing is different.

You'll need to get humbucker sized P-90's, like GFS Mean 90's or Seymour Duncan Phat Cats.

are all guitars with p90s routed differently? and wat if someone wanted new pickups when they already had p90s?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
True p90 dogear or soapbar can only be replaced with those type unless you mod the guitar. And you cant replace a regular humbucker with dog ear p90s without cutting wood either. You might be able to put a soapbar in but it doesnt mount the same as a humbucker. True p90s direct mount as in the wood screw goes thru the pickup into the body of the guitar with foam underneath to be able to adjust height. Humbuckers use rings or a pickguard and have machine screws suspending them. If you have humbuckers get the replacement p90s in this style they arent exactly like p90s but do pretty well. I have a set of phat cats in a LP and really like em.
Quote by Tackleberry
True p90 dogear or soapbar can only be replaced with those type unless you mod the guitar. And you cant replace a regular humbucker with dog ear p90s without cutting wood either. You might be able to put a soapbar in but it doesnt mount the same as a humbucker. True p90s direct mount as in the wood screw goes thru the pickup into the body of the guitar with foam underneath to be able to adjust height. Humbuckers use rings or a pickguard and have machine screws suspending them. If you have humbuckers get the replacement p90s in this style they arent exactly like p90s but do pretty well. I have a set of phat cats in a LP and really like em.

will the humbucker sized p90s sound any different from the regular ones?
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
SD has the tone comparisons on their site for the phat cats and the regular p90s. The phat cat has a little more bottom end and a little less high end. But pretty close. The little bit of tone difference isnt worth the effort of trying to put regular p90s in.