I was going to put this in the other thread, but no one would respond. Would refinishing kill a guitar's sound?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
No

unless you belive tone voodoo in which there may be a 0.0001 % of it killing your tone after you have factored in every other peice of voodoo that is more significant to a tiny layer of paint on the surface of your guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Depends. Say you had a polyurethane finish on now, and you sanded through the clear coat and just painted another layer on top of it and cleared it again, that could make a differance as the wood wouldn't be able to resonate as well. If you sanded the finish right through to the wood, then the refinish would make little difference, and if you used a nitro-cellulose lacquer finish then the wood would be able to resonate better, so would in theory sound better.

I'm pretty sure that's all right, but I'm no expert.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
I heard someone say that, and I wanted to know, good, because i really don't like a lot of the colors on some Strats.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Oh, so you should sand it all off first?
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by lespaul#1
Oh, so you should sand it all off first?

You don't have to, but I probably would.

Advantages: Thinner finish, more resonance, better tone.

Disadvantages: More expensive and time consuming due to more sanding and then priming.

What kind of finish to you want to do? If it's a solid colour, then you could just sand through the clear-coata and paint over the old finish, if you want a transparent finish or sunburst then you'll have to go through to the wood.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
It's a solid ocean turqoise color.
Quote by chip46