I bought a 1/4 headphone jack converter thing, and hooked it up to my mic input on my computer, I was wondering if I could use this to record by hooking an amp to it. I'm trying to do it with audacity but so far no luck.
yes. plug your guitar into your amp like you would any other time. Then check if u have a headphone / Line Out on your amplifier, if so, run a cable from there into ur mic input on the comp. then it should be as simple as hitting record on audacity

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, you will need that jack to make ur standard guitar cable fit into your comp.
best of luck to you,
PM me if it doesnt work.
Your guitars output level is probably not high enough for the PC's mic input. You'd likely need some sort of preamp for this ideally. You may want to consider buying a USB to guitar interface cable for recording. I've seen them anywhere from $35 - $75 which is pretty cheap. I think you'd also need some recording type software for this as well which can be purchased or you could find trial versions to download or shareware. This would enable you to edit your recordings and add additional tracks of more guitar, drums, bass etc later on.
There's a whole forum for this kind of thing here in UG with lots of people much more experienced & knowledgeable than me working with this kind of stuff.
Moving on.....
Quote by 51VH50
yes. plug your guitar into your amp like you would any other time. Then check if u have a headphone / Line Out on your amplifier, if so, run a cable from there into ur mic input on the comp. then it should be as simple as hitting record on audacity

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, you will need that jack to make ur standard guitar cable fit into your comp.
best of luck to you,
PM me if it doesnt work.

I got it to work, but I can't hear it while i'm playing, so I need to know how to get it to where I can hear it while it's recording.
Careful you don't run from an output marked 'Speaker Out' to your soundcard though, as this can cause damage.
There is poetry in despair.
turn up your speakers, for some reason when i run direct to my comp, it plays thru speakers but still records direct. which works alright. hmm ill see if i can figure anything else out