I love to listen to music with the really heavy guitar riffs. Really Chunky palm mutey stuff. What i am wondering is, Do guitarists use their amps distortion, or do they use pedals to achieve it? I really want to get a new amp, but i cant find anything that i can get these sounds out of. is a pedal what i am missing?
Well atleast tell us what amp you already.. Also most of the time professional bands use the amps distortion, maybe with a tubscreamer/od whatever to tighten it up if its a tube amp.
It could be. Most of them probably use a distortion or overdrive pedal if you ask me.
i have a vox valvetronix ad30vt
and it has like 11 amp models and 11 effects, and you can tweak the effects and everything, so really, i dont even need a pedal right now
and some people might use a distortion pedal when they want to go from clean to distorted, but i just need my footwitch to go back and forth between channels, which is just as good as a distortion pedal, but saved me alottt of money
It's hard to kill a monster with a knife
But judging from the blood on my hands,
He won't be back for a while
Pedal = bull****, amp = BIGBIGBIG WINNER !

Shortly said that's how it works, the 'chunk' part of really big-ass overdrive turned into distortion is the over-saturation of tubes being overdriven by the preamp, that's usually boosted by high-output pickups, inbetween maybe an overdrive pedal is useable to get just another layer of chunk into it, but forget those distortion pedals to get chunk out of your tone, they are only good to get your sound more metallish even at low volume. But the way to do it is crank up that clean channel man, the more your ears ring the more drive you get out of that tube amp.

But remember, TUBE AMP, a real one though, all-tube !
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Most would use dist. from the amp but for some people they would use pedals to achieve different tones and different levels of distortion, if you got a Roland Cube 60 then the different types of dist. on there are quite heavy but you could also get some Boss MD or MZ pedals.
Quote by Mr. HaYsEeD
It could be. Most of them probably use a distortion or overdrive pedal if you ask me.

Well don't say anything followed by 'if you ask me' anymore, please. The word tone shouldn't be associated anymore with 'pedal', those pedals are to color your tone, the real tone is the match of your guitar & amp. Even your amp's EQ should be used to catch your guitar' sonic grain, if you don't like your guitar's unplugged sound, it's all blown from the start.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
The amp most of the time gives the best kind of distortion, I have a valvetronix too and really you can get the distortion sound you want straight out of the amp. But depends how powerful your amp is or the type of distortion. Ive found some amps though without "that" sound and then I would want a pedal

and Ive just read Gabes comment and yeah he basically somes it up well
Pedals are bad is just an incorrect statement. If a good tone can be get only from the amp, why does blues players like Santana and Gary Moore use tubescreamers. Mostly amp distortion is the better choice but that doesn't mean pedals suck all time. There are certain tones achieved through tubes and some require pedals.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
Pedals are bad is just an incorrect statement. If a good tone can be get only from the amp, why does blues players like Santana and Gary Moore use tubescreamers. Mostly amp distortion is the better choice but that doesn't mean pedals suck all time. There are certain tones achieved through tubes and some require pedals.

He was probably referring to distortion pedals, not o/d pedals.
Quote by Pooinsky
He was probably referring to distortion pedals, not o/d pedals.

Well, in that case he has a point. But even distortion pedals like Metal Muff and Metal Zone can be used for some really heavy and crunchy tones if set up correctly.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.