I did a search on this and didn't find anything, so please forgive if this has been covered before and I missed it.

What's the deal with the itty bitty black spring that sits at the bottom of the hole that the whammy bar threads into? I haven't lost mine (yet), but I've tried it both with and without the spring and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm inclined to just leave it out rather then put a piece of tape over the hole when the bar is removed, but I have to believe it serves some purpose.

Anyone know?
Quote by ZZRIDER
I did a search on this and didn't find anything, so please forgive if this has been covered before and I missed it.

What's the deal with the itty bitty black spring that sits at the bottom of the hole that the whammy bar threads into? I haven't lost mine (yet), but I've tried it both with and without the spring and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm inclined to just leave it out rather then put a piece of tape over the hole when the bar is removed, but I have to believe it serves some purpose.

Anyone know?

According to MF:

"This little spring helps to set your tremolo arm into a fixed position when used with any Fender American Series tremolo."