I need a bit of help improvising over this song.
Could someone tell me the key of the song?
And any suggestions on which scales to use.
Thanks
B I think. Don't quote me though, I haven't played that song in ages. If I am right though, I'd suggest B minor penatonic. Maybe throw in a blue note or a sixth or something to make it a little more interesting.

Edit: B minor, sorry. Just had a thought lapse.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 2, 2008,
It's in B minor, the blues scale or minor pentatonic would be a good place to start.
Quote by virtuosowannabe
I need a bit of help improvising over this song.
Could someone tell me the key of the song?
And any suggestions on which scales to use.
Thanks

Have you learned the original solo?

thats probably the best place to start. Learn and memorize his solo. Learn what scales he used. Chances are hes using minor pentatonic / minor blues as has been suggested.
shred is gaudy music
Yes I have learned the original and for avoiding playing exactly the same things I wanted to improvise a solo of my own to the song.
You mean during the 7/4 bass line or when it goes into 4/4 for the guitar solo? For the 7/4 I'd use the B minor blues scale. During the 4/4 the bass line gets more chromatic but B blues should serve you just as well there.

B D E F Gb A B
not being an idiot, just wondering, why would you improvise over a certain song? and how do you guys know what scale to use?
Quote by jammy jam jam
not being an idiot, just wondering, why would you improvise over a certain song? and how do you guys know what scale to use?

Tbh.. I can hear what mode/scale is used in a song. I think most people can do that after 1 or 2 years. Thats what I do when I try to take out a song by ear.

Sorry for bad english, I'm a swede you kno.
Quote by Braincheese
Tbh.. I can hear what mode/scale is used in a song. I think most people can do that after 1 or 2 years. Thats what I do when I try to take out a song by ear.

Sorry for bad english, I'm a swede you kno.

1-2 years of playing, or trying to do that?
B minor arpeggio is very floyd-ish here , try

e:10,7 then B:7 repeat in groups of 3 and bend up from B:10 to B:12 voila !