Hello everyone

I'm a beginner (and by beginner, i mean "started yesterday") and it's going pretty well. My fingers hurt though :P

I've found a song that seems pretty simple that i'd like to learn to play - Coldplay - A message.

I found tabs for it here but i don't quite understand them.

I know C, G, D etc etc etc but i don't know what C5 and Em and so on are. If there's ANY chance someone could show me images like this of the tabs:

I would SERIOUSLY appreciate it! Thanks guys!
if you try some other tabs on this site, sometimes that have a "show chord diagrams" button and that shows you the correct shape etc
Fender Telecaster (MIM) <- the sentimental one

Fender USA strat

4 standing Oasis tickets, Cardiff 12th June - selling at face value go!
Quote by Flow of soul
*chords*

For a good beginners guide check this out.

w00t justin i learned there!
The big images of tabs can start of helpful, but they get a bit cumbersome after a while, so the best thing to do is see if you can work out what the notation at the top means.

For instance, at the top of this song, it says the following:
Chords.
C5-[810109xx] -these are 10's.
C-[x32010]
F5-[1332xx]
Em-[0220xx]
G5-[3554xx]
Am5-[5775xx]

And, to take Am5 as an example, you read it along, as if each of the digits in the square brackets represent a string. So on the top string, you press down on the fifth fret, on the second string, the 7th fret, and so on. The crosses mean that the string is muted, so in the case of a lot of the chords there you don't play the two highest strings.

But good luck, sounds like you're doing well after just one day!
Wow guys, thanks for all the great advice!!

Quote by 11yunited
For instance, at the top of this song, it says the following:
Chords.
C5-[810109xx] -these are 10's.
C-[x32010]
F5-[1332xx]
Em-[0220xx]
G5-[3554xx]
Am5-[5775xx]

And, to take Am5 as an example, you read it along, as if each of the digits in the square brackets represent a string. So on the top string, you press down on the fifth fret, on the second string, the 7th fret, and so on. The crosses mean that the string is muted, so in the case of a lot of the chords there you don't play the two highest strings.

But good luck, sounds like you're doing well after just one day!

That doesn't quite add up though. I mean, look at C5 - 810109 - there's no way you can strum 8 and 1 :P
lo... as it says up there.. they're tens... what it means, and it would have been more obvious if he put spaces there, is that the chord is played up on the eighth, tenth, tenth, and ninth frets.
It doesn't expect you to stretch from the eighth down to the first!
Quote by djv
Have a look at this video real quick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL1ifVtbGDQ

See the chords he's using? What are those? What's the first one?

Thanks again guys!

Welll he starts off using the first chord as in the tab you posted.. and it looks like a similar progression from there in.
Quote by 11yunited
Welll he starts off using the first chord as in the tab you posted.. and it looks like a similar progression from there in.

Hold on a sec, is he using his thumb?! I can't see him pressing 8th fret on the top string with anything except maybe his thumb?

And thanks guys, the 10th fret thing makes sense now