so if i have something like this: (3 separate chords)

e|-----------------------------------------
b|-----------------------------------------
g|-----------------------------------------
d|----6--------------4---------------2---
a|----6--------------4---------------2---
E|----4--------------2---------------0---

what are those chords, and what scales would i use to improve over each one?

obviously the last one is Em, so i would use the E minor pentatonic correct? yes? no?
Quote by DashBlaster
Well, no the last one isn't e minor, because there isn't a third in the powerchord.

I think.

no just like a regular open chord Em
correct. (dashblaster)

we assume that these are all maj chords, so it woud be:

Ab/G#

Gb/F#

E

no idea whatr scale it is tho.

i could work it out.
but i cbf sorry.
its not an E minor. thats an E5th. E minor needs a minor third, a flat. pentatonics works well with I, IV, V progs. so what u wanna do is maybe try mixolydian for a rock sound
Quote by zeemonkey
its not an E minor. thats an E5th. E minor needs a minor third, a flat. pentatonics works well with I, IV, V progs. so what u wanna do is maybe try mixolydian for a rock sound

lol honestly i have no clue what the mixolydian is...lol whats the basic fingering for that?
cause i had like a recording i did improving over it....and i got the 4-6-6 thingy riff i wanted but i tryed it on the other two and it sounded off

e|-----------------------------------------
b|-----------------------------------------
g|--------4--6--6^---4--6--4-----------------------
d|-----6--------------------------6-----
a|-----------------------------------
E|------------------------------------
Last edited by AJS19 at Jul 2, 2008,
For soloing over that exact progression the ideal scale to use would probably be either G# pentatonic or G# minor as that's a minor chord progression (I assume that the first chord is the tonic), it's a I-bVII-bVI.

However if it were in the key of E the ideal scale to use would be either E major, E major pentatonic or E mixolydian depending on what kind of sound you want the song to have.

This page should help you find all the scales you'll ever need: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

I suggest you teach yourself proper theory though, it'll help you get through these kind of questions without having to ask anyone else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
For soloing over that exact progression the ideal scale to use would probably be either G# pentatonic or G# minor as that's a minor chord progression (I assume that the first chord is the tonic), it's a I-bVII-bVI.

However if it were in the key of E the ideal scale to use would be either E major, E major pentatonic or E mixolydian depending on what kind of sound you want the song to have.

This page should help you find all the scales you'll ever need: http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

I suggest you teach yourself proper theory though, it'll help you get through these kind of questions without having to ask anyone else.

thanks. that site helped alot...ill probly end up using it all the time now