i was wondering, ive had my dreadnought for a while and i got the strings leveled and everything, it plays better than a gibson, but its small. i want the real effect, and i feel a little... i dont knoe, self concious about the dreadnought. will a full size give me a better affect?
But i'm barely holding on. Where did i go wrong? Choking on the difference between me and the world.i am a poet. happy people dont write.
oh jeez. totally didnt get it until you said that. oh, how old are you? 12?
But i'm barely holding on. Where did i go wrong? Choking on the difference between me and the world.i am a poet. happy people dont write.
dreadnought is the shape of the guitar
and dreadnoughts are actually pretty big
but yes, a bigger size will give you a better sound
It's hard to kill a monster with a knife
But judging from the blood on my hands,
He won't be back for a while
Quote by meganh37
Dreadnaught is a pretty full sized guitar isn't it?

no, the body is thinner and lighter and easier to hold, and the finger board is WAY shorter but as thick as a normal sized. its a pretty girly guitar, like a daisy-rock.
idk, the guy told me it was a dreadnought, and its pretty thin, not too big. but this was back when i was a guitar virgin. i really need a new bigger one.
It's probably not a dreadnought if its small :P
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by happytreemax

but yes, a bigger size will give you a better sound

That depends on what type of sound you want, if you where looking for a trebly sound more reminiscent of a classical guitar you probably wouldn't want to play a dreadnought.

Dreadnoughts can be just as good or crappy as any other style of guitar depending on how they are made, they tend to have a really strong bassy tone and also tend to be pretty loud, whether or not that's good depends on personal preference.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by SpeakEasy4
idk, the guy told me it was a dreadnought, and its pretty thin, not too big. but this was back when i was a guitar virgin. i really need a new bigger one.
I don't know what kind of guitar you have, but if it's not big and bulky it's not a dreadnought. When Martin first came out with the dreadnought body-style, it was designed to be bigger and deeper than most other guitars - in fact, it was named a dreadnought after the battleship HMS Dreadnought because that was one of the biggest battleships in the world.

Do you know the brand and model number? Try googling it or posting it here to find out what size it really is. Or go to a guitar store and play some actual dreadnoughts before deciding if you really need to go any bigger. If a dread sounds anemic, it's not because it's not big enough - it's probably just a crappy guitar. A good dreadnought should be loud and have good bass response. If you want even bigger sound, then go to a jumbo. But once again, a crappy jumbo won't solve your problem either. In keeping with the penis joke, this is one of those cases where size definitely isn't everything.
wow there is a lot of terrible information in this thread. let me clear some things up...

1. a bigger guitar won't give you a "better" sound
2. a dreadnought is not a small or thin guitar
3. what you have may be like a 3/4 scale dreadnought. can't tell without seeing it.

honestly it sounds like you don't have a dreadnought at all. do you have a brand and model number of the guitar? how about some pictures? let's figure out what you have now before we go deciding whether you need something different, much less what different you need.