Building my own bass cabinet, looking for ideas. I'm thinking about making two 2x12's that are stackable so I can just use half of it at home. I have a GK 1001 that is bi-amped. So, I don't need a crossover, I plan to run straight up speakon connectors. On the first cabinet I'll have 2 neo 12's and probably a GK paragon horn. I'll have a speakon output so that I can link the second cab up, which will only have 2 12's.

So, I need corners, castors, grills, speakon connector plates, carpet or some kind of hard finish, etc. Is there anything way cool that you would do if you were building your own???
a big blue 15" speaker, blue like Ashdowns signature thing
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by IndianRockStar
Special grille on the front for sure. Pick something you like.

I was thinking about those big rectangular metal grills such as an 18"x28". This will cover both subs, horn, and ports.

Quote by IndianRockStar
But besides, that, I want it to sound good. I mean, its a speaker cabinet, its not like it'll do your laundry.

Sure, I mean, obviously it will be built to the right specs, but I don't know what corners work best, what castors roll over wires easily without being bulky, what handles feel the best, or anything like that.
Use artificial grass as carpet, and some aluminum foil for corners, it'll be very unique
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Your setup won't work.

GK's definiton of "biamp" is different than the... definition of biamp. Your head does indeed have 2 power amps - 1 700W power amp, and one 50W power amp. The fixed crossover is set at 5kHz, meaning that second power amp usefully powers horns and horns alone. To put this into perspective, Eden has horn/speaker crossovers built into their cabs at 3kHz or 3.5kHz. Your head forces a crossover in biamp mode at 5kHz - a full 2kHz above many cabs' built in crossovers, and actually above the frequency response of an Ampeg 810. Not cool. My Carvin head's actual crossover has a max value of 2kHz. Running a second cab with the 50W power amp is useless.

Oh, and you need a GK RBH series cab to use the GK biamp mode.

Also, both biamp models have 50W tweeter power amps, even though the other power amps hugely range in power.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i suggest you do some serious research on speaker cab construction before you spend any money. it's not as simple as making a box, cutting some holes, and throwing some speakers in it. quality sounding cabinets involve alot of variables.
and the chances of an inexperienced cab builder, building a cab that rival the "real"
cabs like Ampeg and Eden, are slim to none. just so you know.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
a big blue 15" speaker, blue like Ashdowns signature thing

I got me one of them
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by thefitz
Your setup won't work....

Running a second cab with the 50W power amp is useless.

You're vastly misunderstanding. The second cab will not be powered off of the tweet amp whatsoever. I have 4 16 ohm subs. I will have two cabs with two 12's each, 8 ohms each. When I daisy chain the second cab to the first, I will have 4 ohms. The tweeter power will come from the tweeter amp, through the other conductors in the speakon wire that I already have running from the amp to the cabinet.

Basically what I will have is a 2x12 bi-amped with a tweet. Then if I'm actually at a show, I can daisy chain the second 2x12 up (with no tweet) and run 4 12's in parallel for a 4 ohm load.

Quote by thefitz
Oh, and you need a GK RBH series cab to use the GK biamp mode.

Why, because they said so? It's only because of the way they have it wired up. If I wire up my speakon connectors so the 50 watt tweet amp will go to the 50 watt GK horn, and the 700 watts will go to the 12's, what is the difference?

The only thing different is that they have a crossover plate which both allows for bi-amping, or a traditional input and a traditional crossover. Worst case scenario I'll buy the crossover plate from GK, it's $76, but you really don't need it if you are running in bi-amped mode 100% of the time, all you need is a 4-conductor speakon wall plate.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 2, 2008,
I like having a design painted on the grille. that's al you need to be different, and your screw ups are much less important to tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i suggest you do some serious research on speaker cab construction before you spend any money. it's not as simple as making a box, cutting some holes, and throwing some speakers in it. quality sounding cabinets involve alot of variables.
and the chances of an inexperienced cab builder, building a cab that rival the "real"
cabs like Ampeg and Eden, are slim to none. just so you know.

Well, I'm getting the exact dimensions from the manufacturer, I'm building it at a custom guitar shop who also builds cabs, and car audio enclosures that I've built have made it to national level competitions and have been in a magazine. I own a 15 year old copy of the loudspeaker design cookbook just like every other wannabe builder out there, so I'll just place that under my pillow every night, maybe it'll help. I may be a newbie to bass guitar specific enclosures, but I'm no newbie to DIY audio construction, and have plenty of trophies to prove it. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to make it different by any means, I just want to choose the right stuff the first time.

It's simply satisfying to build your own crap. There's really nothing magical about other cabinets... tune it properly, brace it properly, cross it over properly... they just have better marketing departments. I got some Eminence neo 12's for way cheap so I'm at least going to give it a shot.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 3, 2008,
Okay, seems like you know mostly what you are doing, but from what I see you are making 2 2x12 cabinets. Perhaps you should make the tweeterless cabinet a subwoofer or something, but its up to you. And one feature I think that you might like is having a tweeter control, if you aren't putting one already.

Oh, and you may want to look at the cabinet this way: bass cabs are less like guitar cabs, and more like PA equipment. That's the approach Eden takes.
(Threadstarter) Gotcha. The way I read it, you were going to use the 212+tweeter for a tweeter cab (getting 5kHz and above @ 50W), and a 212 with no tweeter for a sub cab (running under 5kHz at 700W). That's how you typically run bi-amps in non GK systems like mine and my soon to arrive SWR.

However, regardless, I think 5KHz is too high for my taste for a crossover - especially with 12's. As I said before, Ampeg 10's top out at about 5kHz, and my 15 tops at about 3kHz. In my opinion, you'd be much smarter to ignore the bi-amp althogether and just run it normally with a passive tweeter crossover in a cab. However, even then, like 83lps mentioned, bass cab construction can get really pissy. Yes, you might be experienced when it comes to DIY audio, but keep in mind to build effective cabs, you have to port them properly, worry about width and depth, port size, location, etc. Emphasis on the porting.

And finally, in my opinion, running it in 5kHz crossover stereo is a bit high IMO, and running it in traditional bi-amp takes a bit of the warmth out of your tone. You might like it, but I really like the sound of 2 cabs (one with a tweeter) running full range and it's tone seems most appropriate.

For the record, I love the sound of 12's and they have totally replaced 10's for me. I will never have an amp config without 12's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 3, 2008,
put some funky coloured carpet on it like purple or some ****
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by IndianRockStar
Okay, seems like you know mostly what you are doing, but from what I see you are making 2 2x12 cabinets. Perhaps you should make the tweeterless cabinet a subwoofer or something, but its up to you.

At shows I will already be running three 18" subs, about 5,000 watts through the whole system. That's enough subs. I just need stage noise. I chose the neo's because everybody who uses these says you truly don't need a sub anyway, they handle 300 watts rms each and the cabinet is tuned pretty low, easily producing stuff below 30 Hz.

Quote by IndianRockStar
And one feature I think that you might like is having a tweeter control, if you aren't putting one already.

The amp already has a tweeter control. As long as I'm bi-amping through the GK head, I shouldn't need one in the cabinet.

Why the hell have I been defending the fact that I'm building my own for this entire thread anyway? Doesn't one single person have any advice on what to get for corners, castors, handles, or ANYTHING??? That's all I'm wanting to know.
Last edited by corndogggy at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
The fixed crossover is set at 5kHz, meaning that second power amp usefully powers horns and horns alone. To put this into perspective, Eden has horn/speaker crossovers built into their cabs at 3kHz or 3.5kHz. Your head forces a crossover in biamp mode at 5kHz - a full 2kHz above many cabs' built in crossovers, and actually above the frequency response of an Ampeg 810. Not cool.

Why does it matter about the frequency response of an ampeg 810 anyway? I'm not using those speakers. Besides, they go up to 5 kHz anyway, not that it matters.

http://ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810e/index.html

The tweet will simply kick in about where the full range of the woofers roll off. I fail to see what exactly the problem is. A bass guitar can produce the entire spectrum of sound... why would I want to purposely stop at 5 kHz? I even have a switchable high cut filter for the tweet to filter out the REALLY high stuff beyond 10 kHz, so you know it's producing stuff well beyond 5 kHz, and most bass guitar woofers can reproduce up to that point. Acting like it's junk just because another good company has a different crossover point (which is to be expected with different speakers) is just a bit silly.

Just because one company chooses two particular speakers and a particular crossover point for best results with those speakers hardly means that a different crossover point makes the setup a piece of crap, especially while not considering anything else.
What mods do i like in a cabinet? Anarkee ir UTBDan im impartial, sorry, i like coloured grills
I enjoy that idea of fake grass covering it... I don't know about the foil, but the grass is a must!
10's are smaller speakers than 12's, and smaller speakers tend to inherently have a higher frequency response ceiling. What I'm saying is that I think that 5kHz is way too high for a tweeter crossover. If you say the 12's can hit 5kHz no problem, then great, but I think a ~3kHz crossover is better and tighter, and tightness is something 12's do in spades. This is a criticism more of GK's silly ideas than yours.

And no, I don't have any castor or amp corner suggestions, and am a bit bewildered that you'd really think you'd get specific responses. I don't think anybody's built enough cabs to have an insight as to which handles are good and which aren't, especially if you apparently have GK's specs sheets. I doubt you'll get responses more in-depth than "don't cheap out and make sure the cabinet is plywood", which I'm sure you knew already. Especially in the Bass Guitar forum, not the Customization forum.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 3, 2008,
Make one with that shoots ninja stars out of the tweeter. That'd be sick
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by thefitz
And no, I don't have any castor or amp corner suggestions, and am a bit bewildered that you'd really think you'd get specific responses. I don't think anybody's built enough cabs to have an insight as to which handles are good and which aren't, especially if you apparently have GK's specs sheets.

No, I didn't expect anybody to have built multiple ones, but I did in fact expect some of you to have PLAYED several cabinets.

I am just going to copy GK's cabinet. Their neo 412 cabinet is the speakers I've got, and I'm ordering their GK horn. I have all the dimensions except for the port size.