I've been looking for a new guitar more suited for my style for a while now, and I've found quite a lot that I like. But recently I've been thinking about just changing the pups on my fender squire strat instead. I would like to have a humbucker at the bridge and a rail pickup at the neck. If I got a new scratchplate with a bigger hole for a humbucker would that be enough? Can you recommend any good high output pickups? I play mostly metal and punk. Thanks

Also, I have a price range of £200 - £400 (for a guitar)
I am a musician. Therefore, I am hairy.

My gear:
Squire Strat (n00b guitar)
Hughes and Kettner ATS amp
Boss GT-3
Avia Pro II Bass

Quote by Poop
I hate U!!! U'r a sad pokemon beeatch!!
Last edited by Nick616 at Jul 2, 2008,
get a new guitar. but keep the strat and when you get the money complete deck it out, get double humbucker pickguard, great pickups, maybe repaint it. thats all squier strats are good for.
EMG 81's - The classic high output pickups. Some extra work may be needed to be done on the guitar though.
But I would suggest buying a whole new guitar if that is an option for you. There are a shed load of brilliant guitars at budget prices and they will be better than most Squiers, 'pimped' out.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
EMG 81's - The classic high output pickups. Some extra work may be needed to be done on the guitar though.
But I would suggest buying a whole new guitar if that is an option for you. There are a shed load of brilliant guitars at budget prices and they will be better than most Squiers, 'pimped' out.

Emg's are good! if you got a spare £150, Dean ML-XM! xD
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
I would get a better guitar, but keep the squire. I've had a Squire Strat laying around for 2 years, because I only play my hollowbody and LP. But recently I got it out of retirement did a few mods, repainted it, and I'm gonna put new PUPS in it.......Use craigslist.com to find guitars, that's the best place........
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Yeah Squires are great to mod if you have one that has a good neck and feel. I have had one for years and modded it out with EMG's, Graph Tech Saddles and nut, Schaler locking tuners etc. But I'd have to say go for a different guitar as well. Not knowing your price range or style I cant recommend any specifics but definately look into trying something new.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
If the neck plays nice, and the body is not plywood, I would modify the hell out of that thing.

In addition to a new pickguard, a good 5 way switch and pots... and put two humbuckers in it.

Most Squiers are routed so that you can fit a humbucker in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge in my experience. You can tell if you simply lift your pickguard and take a look.

I've built two Strats with dual full size humbuckers, and they both sound freaking great. (so ignore the people who cry about Strats without single coils)

On top of that stuff, you probably need to swap out the nut, which is not all that difficult. Just upgrading to a pre-cut graphite nut from Allparts for like $6 will make that thing come to life. New tuners would be sweet, too.

You could get on http://www.guitarfetish.com and go wild for cheap.

In the end, you have a highly customized guitar that you personally put together. Very nice feeling, indeed.

Whether you go that route or buy another one, take it to see a good guitar tech and have it setup. It makes all the difference.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
If the neck plays nice, and the body is not plywood, I would modify the hell out of that thing.

In addition to a new pickguard, a good 5 way switch and pots... and put two humbuckers in it.

Most Squiers are routed so that you can fit a humbucker in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge in my experience. You can tell if you simply lift your pickguard and take a look.

I've built two Strats with dual full size humbuckers, and they both sound freaking great. (so ignore the people who cry about Strats without single coils)

On top of that stuff, you probably need to swap out the nut, which is not all that difficult. Just upgrading to a pre-cut graphite nut from Allparts for like $6 will make that thing come to life. New tuners would be sweet, too.

You could get on http://www.guitarfetish.com and go wild for cheap.

In the end, you have a highly customized guitar that you personally put together. Very nice feeling, indeed.

Whether you go that route or buy another one, take it to see a good guitar tech and have it setup. It makes all the difference.

A mate of mine spent years searching for the perfect Squier Strat; it had to have perfect craftsmanship and excellent build quality on the woods and respective routing. He found one a year ago and quickly replaced the pickups with awesome humbuckers (expensive ones). He then changed the pots, the switch and rewired everything. He replaced the tuning pegs and top nut with a locking nut, even though it didn't have a vibrato tremelo system.
It plays like nothing I've ever held! And its still a Squier neck and body! It sounds really evil with its awesome active pickups and I give the guy serious credit for achieving something so adventerous and wonderful! I'm going to do it as well. He got me into the idea of altering guitars. My hero!!
I might do it with a different cheap guitar though; i'm still searching.
I;ve heard really good things about Hughes and Kettner. although i dont know much about their solid state line...

but with 400 pounts you could probably get a really nice guitar. Honestly if you have been searching something new to fit you better i would get a new guitar. But if you like the squire, some new pickups, maybe some locking tuners or something and you would be good to go too...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Modding a Strat would be fun and of course with all customizing, very rewarding.

But EMG's in a Strat? Wouldn't be my first idea... You said you're getting into punk and metal now, which is good but I would think 24 frets would be more suiting for High output active pick -ups..

The wiring would get very tricky I could imagine, if your keeping your middle pickup, and 5 way selector. If your into recording and stuff, I would recommend keeping your strat, and getting a nice new Jackson King V or something.. so you could use your Strat for cleans, and a more metal suited ax for rhythm and leads and stuff.

Besides, it would be nice to have 2 guitars at your disposal.
Modding the squier is easily do able.

I've done similar to my sunn mustang (fender licensed so fender parts fit) and dropped in a pair of tex mex buckers:

it was very easy to do. this guitar had a "swimming pool" route though, you'd have to check your squier before going any further. I've also upgraded a few other parts too (saddles, tuners, trees) and i'm really happy with the result.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to cost up exactly what you want, and weigh that up against the price of the guitar you'd like to replace it with.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!